The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 31, 2009, 08:05 PM   #1
celtgun

Browning BLR 308 Problem

I own 2 Browning BLRs in 308, one (Belgium, 1970) functions great, the other (Japan, 1980) is almost impossible to "lever" after firing. It takes a really stout pull on lever to get casing to eject.
Question is what could this be caused by and what can a fairly experianced home gun tinker do to correct. If disassembly is needed, I would put it in the shop at my gunstore, as I understand this gun is quite complicated to tear down.
Thanx for any advice, have a great 2010. shoot a lot, be safe.

Lee Jones(Celtgun)

"The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." George Washington
Old December 31, 2009, 08:11 PM   #2
Doyle

Does the gun lever easily with no round in the chamber? If so, does it lever easily with an unfired round?

If the answer to the first question is yes and the answer to the 2nd question is a yes or at least "easier than with a fired round" then your problem is probably a dirty chamber. Cleaning a dirty chamber on a bolt-action is easy. Your BLR does present a problem though.
Old December 31, 2009, 08:31 PM   #3
murphjup

I had the same problem on a 2008 BLR in .308 when it was new, I really didn't remove any shipping lube prior to firing, after I cleaned the chamber and put a light lube of Eezox in it, I never had the problem again.. you may either have a dirty chamber or one with too much lube in it...

Now my BLR is soo Smoooth, I love the feel of the action.

Just my experience, ymmv..

Old January 4, 2010, 01:00 AM   #4
OHW

Please excuse my novice questioning, but isn't the chamber supposed to be dry when firing, only lubed when stored?
Old January 4, 2010, 09:01 AM   #5
mapsjanhere

In an ideal case, yes, by sticking to the sides the cartridge case transfers part of the force from the back to the sides. But a lot of guns needed lube for operations, a lot of early machine guns actually had build-in oilers or used oiled cartridges (great idea in the desert). So it works if needed.
Old January 5, 2010, 01:09 PM   #6
StumpyMonkey

Me too! - HELP!!!

I have a similar 308 Blr, think it is 2007.
Had the same issue ejecting some cases. Would cycle fine empty or with loaded rounds but some spent cases will not release. Have settled on Winchester 180gr silvertips which are fine.

However yesterday new problem. Sometimes the weapon will not fire. The hammer is released and strikes the rear of the bolt pin but will not fire. Having chescked the cases sometimes there is no firing pin mark at all, (ie the pin has not struck the round).
Suggestions PLEASE