The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 17, 2008, 02:27 PM   #1
SemperFly

Auto metallic reloaders

Does anyone make a reasonable automatic metallic cartridge reloading press? If so, how much do they run and are they really any better than chugging away at the Dillon 650 or Hornady LNL? Being able to reload 1,000 rounds/hour+ would be great!
Old December 17, 2008, 02:51 PM   #2
Don P

You can try www.midway.com or this site
http://www.factorysales.com/
I use Lee's products. They have what you are looking for and for less money than the compatition. Personaly I like the Lee products.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 17, 2008, 03:42 PM   #3
BigJimP

Maybe I don't understand your question - but I have a Dillon 650 with the electric case feeder on it - and it'll turn out well over 1,000 rounds an hour ( if all you are doing is loading ) especially if you're using the Powder Check option / which is almost mandatory in my mind.

The Dillon 650 with all the bells and whistles and one set of dies is about $1,100 and worth every penny in my view.
Old December 17, 2008, 03:44 PM   #4
GE-Minigun

What BigJimP said...
Old December 17, 2008, 03:46 PM   #5
jaguarxk120

The rate of loading you want (1000 rnd/hr) may not be able to do with what is generally available to the hobbiest. Look at Camdex in Troy Michigan. They have a machine that will cycle at 4400/ hour. One draw back is the primer feed holds only 400 in reserve and 60 in the feed tube.

By the way 1000rnd/hour is one round every 3.6 seconds, not counting time used filling primer tubes, bullet feeders or case feeders, and you have to keep the powder hopper filled!
Old December 17, 2008, 03:59 PM   #6
BigJimP

1,000 rounds an hour is easy on a Dillon 650 with a case feeder / you need to do a little bit of prep work:

I put about 500 cases at a time into the case feeder hopper / but I keep another 500 lubed and ready to go into the hopper ( just dump them in ).

I keep a case of bullets on my reloading bench ( so refilling the bullet tray on a 650 is a piece of cake ).

Refilling the powder cannister / takes maybe 30 sec .... an 8 lb keg of powder on the bench / a good funnel ...

I dump the loads off of the back of the press into a heavy box / or you can use the plastic bin that comes on the press / and I dump it about every 100 rounds ( takes 30 sec ).

I pre-load 6 primer tubes / so I have 100 primers in press and 600 ready to go into press when the low indicator beeps / just takes 30 sec to fill it. It does take a minute or so to refill a primer tube / using the flip tray ..

But getting 1,000 rounds an hour ( if you have no problems ) where you need to stop - is not an issue. I primarily load for quality - not speed. But the 650 does both / with very few rejected rounds per 1,000 . I load for all my pistols on the 650 - 9mm, .40 , .45 acp, .38 spl, .357 mag and .44 mag. I have separate tool heads set up with dies, a powder measure and a powder check die for each caliber - so change over to another caliber, clean and lubing the machine is really not a big deal. Honestly, it takes me an hour to change over the machine - but that is because I clean everything ( even taking the primer system apart, and cleaning the disc inside, etc / cleaning the case feeder / lube the main shaft / double check the manual ..... run a dozen or more test loads .... check the powder drop very carefully ...... ).
Old December 17, 2008, 04:13 PM   #7
jaguarxk120

Sounds like a great setup. I'm not into that volume of making reloads. I do a few now and a few later.
Old December 17, 2008, 09:27 PM   #8
SemperFly

Auto metallic reloaders

Thanks for the great info BigJimP. I had heard pumping out 1000 rounds/hour with the 650 was possible, but wondered about feasibility. Sounds like you have it down to an art. What I was really curious about was a setup to take the manual pull out of reloading, although it is a great quality check and stress relief. Similar to what the Mec Auto-mate does for the Mec 9000 shotshell reloader.

Does anybody have experience with the Hornady Progressive with case feeder?
Old December 17, 2008, 10:28 PM   #9
DaveInPA

If you really want to go nuts, get a Dillon 1050.
Old December 18, 2008, 11:01 AM   #10
jmorris

http://www.camdexloader.com/
http://www.ammoload.com/

Both make automatic machines in the $25,000 range.

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o...rrent=1050.flv

Is a video of my 1050 with bullet feeder manually operated. It now has an auto drive like the one in the photo below. It runs a little slower than I did manually; however, it cuts time in half as I can case gauge, run the primer tube filler and add powder as its reloading.

For pistol rounds I use 650’s with bullet feeders that are almost as fast and cost less.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gdillion_auto-drive.jpg (31.0 KB, 37 views)
Old December 18, 2008, 12:46 PM   #11
jaguarxk120

Forgot about ammoload, I remembered the Camdex because they are local to me. Gotta do a ton of shooting to warrent one of those machines.
Old December 18, 2008, 02:53 PM   #12
D. Manley

If you're looking for a pretty fully automated setup that cost less than a new car, check out a Dillon 1050 mated up to a Ponsness/Warren Auto-Drive. There's a nice video clip of the unit in operation, HERE. There is also an on-going thread from actual users at the BENOS forums, HERE.