The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 28, 2012, 05:03 PM   #1
David the Gnome

M1A Project is Finally Coming Together

I've almost got my M1A to where I want it. I think all I need now is to get it sighted in and then I want to get a cheek pad and a bipod. It's taken a long time to get it to this point, M1A/M14 parts are just so expensive. Hopefully it won't take as long to get the bipod and cheek pad on there as it took to get it scoped.

Anyways, here it is as it sits right now. I'm open to suggestions for the cheek pad and the bipod. I figure Harris is a safe bet (albeit costly) for the bipod, I have no clue on the cheek pad. Suggestions are welcome.

Old February 28, 2012, 05:39 PM   #2
Dave P

I vote to use iron sights for the first year. Get good at it, then think about screwing around with a scope and mounts.

And a bipod does nothing for accuracy: bounces around too much, especially on the bench. Try a front rest and sand bag for rear.

Or shoot prone with glove and sling.
Old February 28, 2012, 08:49 PM   #3
Therealkoop

Nice rifle.

I have a Desert Warrior Products kydex/abs plastic cheeckriser that I really like. It comes with weightly knurled knobs for adjustment that are pretty neat. It does involve drilling holes in your stock though. Seems pretty solid.

The cheeckriser IMo is pretty much needed. A bi-pod isnt. I dont use one so I cant suggest much!
Old February 29, 2012, 08:29 AM   #4
David the Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P
I vote to use iron sights for the first year. Get good at it, then think about screwing around with a scope and mounts.
I've been shooting the gun with iron sights for the past two years. I just put the scope and mount on it the other day.
Old February 29, 2012, 11:16 AM   #5
ripnbst

Jealous, I'd love to have an M1A one day.
Old February 29, 2012, 10:22 PM   #6
Jason_G

Looks great.

Is that an SAI stock, or did you fill in the selector cutout on a GI? It's hard to tell from the pic, but it looks super sharp. Mine is still sporting the ugly black poly stock. I think my next M1A project will be a walnut or birch stock and a bedding job.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old March 1, 2012, 07:58 AM   #7
David the Gnome

It's the factory Springfield stock. It's a national match so thankfully it's already bedded. If it wasn't for that stock I'd probably put an aftermarket one on it. I can't justify a stock swap when it's just going to hurt the gun's performance (going from a bedded stock to a non-bedded one).