The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 30, 2001, 09:51 PM   #26
DougS

Dave and friends:

Thanks for all the sage advice. It is much appreciated and will be put to good use.

Just ordered a Remmington 870 Express, 18" barrel & extended mag today. Making arrangements to practice at local range. Is a trigger lock sufficient for this or is a safe, locking cabinet, locking case the best way to go? I have 2 kids 10 & 11 and want to keep them safe.

Also, are tazers legal in Maryland? Wife is a nurse at an HMO. One of their larger clients is the US Postal Service whose employees are very nervous these days. One of her regular patients was one of the two that died of anthrax in DC. She was threatened by a patient a few days ago and she wants a means of self defense while on the job.

We are living in strange times which seem to bring out the best in some and the worst in others. While we aspire to the former, we have no intention of becoming victims of the latter.

Thanks again.
Old October 30, 2001, 09:57 PM   #27
FPrice

Dave,

I am curious. Which was the most trying? The war, the prison riots, or the Cub Scout camping trips? Having some little experience with young scouts, I am guessing the last.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
Old October 31, 2001, 06:40 AM   #28
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Frosty, cub scouts will get you hurt(G)...

Doug,my kids were used to handling guns from about the time they could cross the street by themselves, under close supervision, of course. Son may have been all of 9 when he shot my 1911 GM for the first time.

For smaller kids, a pump kept cruiser ready (action locked shut, safety on, mag full, chamber empty) and kept high, like inside a closet above the door is enough to ensure safety. Yours are more able to overcome those measures, so there's other options. I don't know about you, but the folks had nothing I didn't get into while they were away. This approach may help...

Take them shooting and let them watch as you put a round into a pumpkin, 2 liter soda bottle filled with water, or other target that will explode dramatically. Explain that the gun is a marvelous tool that MUST NOT be misused, and that the stuff on TV is myth and illusion. Let them pop off a few 22 rounds, SAFELY,and let them handle firearms enough(Under supervision of course) to take the mystery and glamour out of them. Mine knew they could examine any gun in the house if they asked permission, and permission was ALWAYS granted.

I believe this approach is safer and more effective than a cable lock or safe. BTW, the little handgun safes are cheap, and a good place to keep a loaded handgun. Access via the keypad is PDQ.

As for your query, I prefer the safe. Your needs may differ.

There may be some old threads on a lockable shotgun rack, or another contributor here may be able to fill you in.

As for Tazers, I've no personal experience with them. I do know they're considered Deadly Weapons in some jurisdictions. IMO, she'd be better off with a mouse gun concealed on her person. A nurse I knew long ago worked in a good hospital, bad 'hood. A PPK clone in an ankle holster was her approach, and it sounds good to me.

Last edited by Dave McC; November 1, 2001 at 06:13 AM.
Old October 31, 2001, 08:05 AM   #29
KAM_Indianapolis

http://home.earthlink.net/~grimitch/TFLGoBag.htm

Here's a compilation of go-bag contents that I've been doing based on recommendations of fellow TFLers. I like Daves description of it as a "panic bag".
Old October 31, 2001, 03:00 PM   #30
cal49m

I'd add a battery operated short wave radio and antenna in case your local radio and tv stations aren't able to broadcast.

If evacuation was necessary exactly how would that happen? Its hard enough getting thru a regular rush our or a trip to the beach.
Old October 31, 2001, 07:07 PM   #31
FPrice

Dave...

I have to admit that shotguns are my weakest firearm, but I am trying to correct that situation.

You talked about "cruiser ready", (action locked shut, safety on, mag full, chamber empty). How do you lock the action shut? By trigger lock? I assume that the action is closed also?

FWIW, I have been trying a new device called the Life Jacket. It is basically a plastic clamshell which encloses the action portion of the firearm. For handguns it seems to work fairly well for the few I have tried. However the shotgun model is a bit tight and seems to require that the action be open, which is not conducive to keeping the magazine loaded. It may be good for safe unloaded storage but I do not think it would work for a shotgun kept ready for self-defense.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
Old October 31, 2001, 07:37 PM   #32
KAM_Indianapolis

Evacuation

http://www.co.harrison.ms.us/departments/civildefense/

Best to look where they already plan on doing it. Do an internet search for your own area of operational concern.
Old October 31, 2001, 07:47 PM   #33
ATTICUS

"How do you lock the action shut?'

Assuming your talking abut a pump gun - cycle the action with no shells in the gun. The action will then be "locked".
Old October 31, 2001, 08:06 PM   #34
brionic

Exactly. To "Unlock", you use the action release button, located at the front left of the trigger guard, while pumping the slide.

Action also unlocks after the trigger is depressed, but shouldn't be "opened" this way unless you are firing the weapon.