The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 20, 2011, 10:49 AM   #1
PaultheWall

Took my son shooting this week...

Earlier this week I took my 9 year old son and his friend shooting. They shot my Pietta Colt Navy Sheriff revolver. It was my son's second time shooting and his friend's first time.

They did really well (see target below - my son is on the right).

All shots were from 25 yards, seated. For them I used 15 grains of Goex FFFG, wonder wad and a Hornady .457 ball.\

Great day!! And I think my boy is hooked on the blackpowder!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00789.jpg (243.9 KB, 63 views)

http://www.oxhilltours.com
Old August 20, 2011, 12:41 PM   #2
SouthGA

Paul,

Just my opinion, but it is a great thing to teach the young and old for that matter about tradition and history which does include the honor and ability of fighting for ones rights.

I followed your link and again have great respect for the work that you are doing with the historical sights.
Old August 21, 2011, 01:33 AM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...They did really well..." It's not about that. It's about the smile. And spending time with your son.
Old August 21, 2011, 02:04 AM   #4
Bill Akins

Kudos to you Paul for teaching your young son. Everyone should do that.
Soon I'll be teaching my 11 year old granddaughter. Watch out though, with their young eyes they might soon outshoot us!

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old August 22, 2011, 04:15 PM   #5
PaultheWall

Thanks guys

Yes -- the best part was the smile!

Now I think my son is hooked! He asked to go to the range again today. This afternoon I had some free time so we went.

This time I had him shoot my Pietta 1851 Colt Navy. He did well for his only third time out (see shot below).

All shots were from 25 yards, seated, using 15 grains of Goex FFFG, wonder wad and a .376 round ball.

Great way to spend an afternoon...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8-22-11_chris_colt_navy.jpg (200.2 KB, 21 views)

http://www.oxhilltours.com
Old August 22, 2011, 04:36 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

Good lookin kid, Paul

He looks proud.

With folks like you, who needs the NRA?

From Chesapeake
Old August 23, 2011, 09:17 AM   #7
tahoe2

Nice smile

I took my then 12 year old son to a Mountain Man sponsored youth shoot a couple of years ago. It was free and as I was unfamiliar with BP, I let the rangemaster take over. He was shooting .36 squirrel gun, .50 hawken, and a .58 musket, in no time, light loads of course. Smiles from ear to ear and he has matured amazingely since that first time. Now! two years later, he is the proud owner of a .50 Hawken, a Spanish mauser carbine in 7x57(downloaded to 30-30 power) and a Stoger youth o/u in 20 ga. I've always had guns in the house but he never showed an interest, He was kind of "sure-whatever" when I asked him to go to the MM thing, now he want's to load his own ammo!

Last edited by tahoe2; August 23, 2011 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Key words "youth shoot"