The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 4, 2013, 08:17 AM   #1
Mike Irwin
Staff

Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Classic

Was just on the Charter Arms site and they're showing that they're going to bringing out a "classic" Charter Arms Bulldog .44.

Price, model, and release date are TBD, but it's apparently going to be the original configuration, with the unshrouded barrel and exposed ejector rod.

I may actually have to keep my eye out for one of these.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 4, 2013, 08:24 AM   #2
gunloony

FWIW that announcement has been on that site for well over a year with no changes.

I would like to have another original Bulldog if circumstances permit. I have always regretted donating my previous one to a burglar.
Old April 4, 2013, 09:45 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Well that's a bummer.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 4, 2013, 10:48 AM   #4
PetahW

You might wanna check out the finish description - IMO, it sounds like it might just be a blue-colored coating, and not blued carbon steel.

FWIW, I have a newer Stainless BD, that I like much better than the blued BD I had in the 70's - IMHO, it's much more controllable.

Old April 4, 2013, 11:17 AM   #5
lowercase

I couldn't wait and just went out and got a nice older one.

My current production stainless Bulldog is still my EDC, though.
Old April 4, 2013, 01:55 PM   #6
tnelson31

I do not understand Charter's production schedules, been looking to _look_ at a Pitbull in 9mm.
Old April 4, 2013, 08:45 PM   #7
Chesster

I have seen these on the site for a while. Still have a trio of original 3", one chopped to 2". With Compac grips, still the best fist full of SD you can get less than a pound and a half. I recall my first one and the only ammo available was WW or RP 246gr LRN. The CABD was the reason I began to handload.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old April 4, 2013, 09:02 PM   #8
Super Sneaky Steve

Old school is always cool, but I'd also like them to hop to it on building a .45 of any kind.
Old April 4, 2013, 10:59 PM   #9
Theophilus

I believe the Classic .44 has been released already, about a year ago it was available through a few online retailers. It seems to be out of stock now, as far as I can tell. http://www.woodburyoutfitters.com/product_p/9595.htm
But my point is that it has been released, I do remember it being in stock at one point.
I've got my old one, so I haven't been able to justify this update... yet.
Old April 24, 2013, 06:14 PM   #10
lowercase

Mike, I'd take it out and shoot it, provided that it passes the normal revolver check out. Any problems that the gun may have should present themselves at the range.

I recommend getting some cowboy action loads for the range. Also, check the screws to make sure they are tight. Charters are like old Harleys and you have to be vigilant about screws loosening. Locktite will fix any problems with screws. There are four screws to check: The one that holds the crane, the one on the side of the frame (this one usually is the biggest culprit), the one on the cylinder release, and the itty-bitty screw that the cylinder pushes in to lock into place. Of note, this small screw must only be screwed in flush with the frame, or your cylinder won't open.

I bought a vintage Bulldog, and it started binding up at the range. Turns out that it was simply carbon build up on the leading edge of the cylinder and the gun was fine.

Good luck with your Bulldog. Should be a good little gun.

lc

Last edited by lowercase; April 25, 2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old April 24, 2013, 06:17 PM   #11
Dan-O

Nothing to be concerned about. Charters aren't build to withstand oodles of stout .44 special loads. If you don't roll your own you might want to look for some cowboy velocity loads.
Old April 24, 2013, 06:56 PM   #12
Chesster

As long as using standard pressure ammo, all should be fine. Shoot it.
Old April 25, 2013, 07:04 PM   #13
Ozzieman

Lowercase is right about the screws but before you start cranking on them, make sure you have the proper sized driver. They are ease to mess up.
Also stay with rounds with bullets 220 GR or less weight. No +P’s. Cowboys are best.
I have one of the old stainless with the bobbed hammer. Great little gun.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old April 26, 2013, 01:35 PM   #14
Bart Noir

Several years back I bought a well-used early model all stainless CABD. And will not part with it. I just like it for the right steel and right size and right weight and right barrel length....but I'm preaching to the choir here, I suspect.

Anyway, it had issues and all but one are covered by the post from lowercase.

The pin above the trigger would move out during a range session. A bit of gentle peening convinced it to stay in place.

Bart Noir
Old April 26, 2013, 01:58 PM   #15
Chesster

Add a pair of Compac rubber grips and the old dog is about perfect for up close social work.
Old April 26, 2013, 06:26 PM   #16
Ozzieman

Chesster's right. The rubber grips are mandatory. Mine has Pachmayr’s grips and it really helps absorb recoil.
I’ve owned two bulldogs and I never shot ether with the original wooden grips, they fit my hands badly.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; February 12, 2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old April 26, 2013, 08:54 PM   #17
Deaf Smith

If Charter Arms would make a SERIOUS .44 Bulldog, that is high quality and bit more beefy construction I'd love one.

Now we are talking S&W quality of construction and materials. It can have a exposed ejector rod if only the whole gun is a bit thicker and stronger.

I never liked their thin bolt stops and one point lockup. And their ratchets are weak to.

If they would just fix those problems I'd love to have a 5 shot 2 inch barrel .44 snub!

Deaf
Old April 26, 2013, 09:34 PM   #18
Chesster

Deaf, I think you are talking about a Smith 696. Great gun but hard to find and pricey.
Old April 27, 2013, 06:33 PM   #19
Deaf Smith

Chesster,

Sort of. The 696 should have been fixed sighted, no underlug, and a thinner 2 1/2 inch barrel.

They made it too heavy and with adjustable sights prone to snagging (after all, it was supposed to be concealment gun not a belt gun.)

Think about a 686 2 1/2 snub, but with a 5 shot .44 cylinder and barrel and fixed sights. Simple, powerful, and no sharp edges.

Deaf
Old April 27, 2013, 08:04 PM   #20
Chesster

Well said Deaf. Taurus made a stab at it with the 3" 431. If you could take the best of the CA/S&W/Taurus you could probably come up with a perfect SD revolver for IWB carry. I have stock versions of each of these and see the good and bad with the designs. I also found this modified piece a few years back that some smith cobbled together. Stainless frame with bbl cut and sight replaced, grip frame replaced with a blued alloy I guess to cut weight and I added the rubber grips to improve shooting comfort. I also recall a gun magazine featuring a custom conversion of a Ruger Speed Six 2.75" converted to a 5 shot .44s. Would have loved to get my hands on that one.

Old April 28, 2013, 01:48 AM   #21
lowercase

Since this thread is still alive and kicking, I figured that I might as well post a picture of my vintage Bulldog.

Old April 28, 2013, 04:49 AM   #22
Chesster

Can't get enough l'case. I see yours has the latter vintage Bulldog grips found on the real "classic".
Old April 28, 2013, 07:41 AM   #23
Ozzieman

Deaf, I think you are talking about a Smith 696. Great gun but hard to find and pricey.
I would rather see Ruger come out with a SP101 in a 5 shot 44. I have been e mailing Ruger once a month asking for that very thing. Imagine how many of those they would sell if they came out with one. I keep getting answers back, lawyerease and not at this time.
Deaf I disagree, your point is well taken but the advantage of the bulldog would be lost if they did the additions you suggested. Light weight and inexpensive. If they did, I would buy one in a second.
I think the gun you’re talking about is the other one in the photo I posted, the Taurus 445 which I don’t think they build any more. But it had a lot of reliability issues that required a good gunsmith.

Old April 28, 2013, 09:26 AM   #24
Deaf Smith

Quote:
the Taurus 445 which I don’t think they build any more. But it had a lot of reliability issues that required a good gunsmith.
Hence a better made gun.. S&W! I'd even accept an 'airweight' L frame 5 shot fixed sighted 2 1/2 inch bbl .44 spl. without the child lock.

Quote:
I also recall a gun magazine featuring a custom conversion of a Ruger Speed Six 2.75" converted to a 5 shot .44s. Would have loved to get my hands on that one

YEA... I'd love to get my hands on that one to. Now the .44, taking more steel from the cylinder and barrel would make it lighter. And no one ever said the Speed Six was a weak or unreliable design. And it was a fixed sighted gun and good DA pull (I only have two of 'em!)

As long as it would take the "Skeeter' load. 8 grs of Unique with 250gr slug.

Now there is a gun smith that rechambers and rebores Ruger GP100s to 10mm. That's ok but sure love to see it done in .44 Spl. Six shots, 3 inch barrel, and a DAO hammer.

Deaf
Old April 28, 2013, 10:06 AM   #25
Ozzieman

Hence a better made gun.. S&W! I'd even accept an 'airweight' L frame 5 shot fixed sighted 2 1/2 inch bbl .44 spl. without the child lock.

Yea, I hear your need, I do too. I didn’t mean to say that the Taurus was the answer to all needs but they did make a stronger gun than the Charter but in my case a POS.
S&W did make a light weight 44 special hammerless the S&W 296 AirLite Titanium back in the late 80’s or early 90’s with a 2 ½ inch barrel.
I owned one but the recoil was so brutal even compared to the Bulldog that I didn’t keep it. Something about the shortness and grip angle that really hurt the web of my hand.
I saw one for sale several weeks ago at a local GS and the nit wits wanted 1200$ for it. I know times are crazy but that’s stupid.
If Ruger did make one in 44 special, I would buy one for myself, one for the wife and one for the safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; April 28, 2013 at 10:15 AM.