The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 3, 2013, 08:00 PM   #1
AL45

1884 Springfield Trapdoor

A friend has an 1884 Springfield Trapdoor. The bluing is gone, the stock is beat up, the front and back sights need replaced and the rifling looks a little pitted. It seems mechanically sound and 2 different people who are familiar with such guns said it was probably worth around $400.00. I don't have pictures, but based on this information, does this sound right? One guy who looked at it is a gun shop owner and gunsmith. He thought the forearm may have been cut down to give it a carbine look, and it didn't have the true carbine butt plate. He said the sights would cost around $50.00, and wouldn't recommend spending much on it. He said it looked safe to shoot and as I said offered $400.00. Are these guns typically well made, reliable and safe to shoot at such an old age? I realize every gun should be viewed on a case by case basis, but what is their track record? thanks
Old May 3, 2013, 11:23 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

That would be the very top price for what sounds almost like a relic. And if the stock is cut down, any collector value is nil. But without pictures, it is not possible to make any real valuation.

Still, it might depend on the situation. If a good friend needs money and you have it, buying his gun may be a decent way of helping him out. But that has little bearing on the value of the gun.

Jim
Old May 4, 2013, 06:40 AM   #3
mark clausen

Two weeks ago I spent $600 for a very nice unaltered trapdoor. Similar vintage. Not a carbine. At the same auction a "carbine" in almost the exact same condition you describe, altered stock, wrong sights, fairly beat up, zold for over $900. Glad I could be of assistance.
Old May 5, 2013, 10:59 AM   #4
highpower3006

First off, I was a bit confused by your post, it it a rifle with a cut stock or a rifle that has been cut down into a carbine? To me, a rifle that has a cut stock would not be worth more than $250 and that is only if it has a pristine bore. If it was cut down into a carbine the value goes down a bit more.

That gun sounds like it is not in very good condition and I would pass on it unless the price comes down.

I was shooting my 1884 Trapdoor rifle at the range the other day. A fellow approached me and offered a 1873 rifle in excellent condition (his description) with bayonet for $600.

I bought this 1884 a few months ago for $550:

Old May 6, 2013, 09:33 PM   #5
AL45

Nice gun Highpower. I have shown the gun to 3 different people and no one is sure if the fore end has been cut down or not. It may be an original carbine. It is missing the ring on the trigger guard, the blade on the front sight and part of the rear sight. One person said he thought the trigger was not original because it had grooves in it. Probably won't buy this one, but it has made me want one. Nice to hear your shooting yours. Personally, I have no desire to own a gun I can't shoot.
Old May 6, 2013, 09:38 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

I doubt we can be of much more help without good pictures.

Jim