The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 16, 2009, 03:27 PM   #1
jal5

Need load data: 170 gr. LSWC and 357 mag

I have tried my 3 books: Hornady, Speer, and Lee plus the Hogdon pages with no luck on these . Can anyone point me in the right direction? Gun is a S&W M66 with 6" barrel, SS.

Thanks,

Joe
Old September 16, 2009, 03:40 PM   #2
drail

Assuming that you are using hard cast lead SWC you should find data available for a 180 gr. load. Start about 10% below that and work up. It really doesn't matter if the data they give for a 180 gr. is for jacketed or cast. If you're talking swaged soft lead bullets you'll run into leading problems pretty quickly. A 180 gr. bullet in a .357 is a great load for a long pistol or a carbine/rifle. I have some 180 gr. loads I made some years back for a carbine that I'll see if I can dig up for you. What powder are you thinking of using? I think my loads were made with 2400.
Old September 16, 2009, 08:23 PM   #3
jal5

These are hard cast lead bullets.
I have titegroup, unique, and bullseye on hand. 2400 was recommended to me by another board member too...I would have to buy that and work up a load if that is the best powder recommendation.

Joe