The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 22, 2008, 07:17 AM   #1
Super-Dave

Cheap walmart shotgun shells

I have heard that the winchester shotgun shells they sell at walmart are of such cheap quality that they tend to stick in the barrel after they have been fired. Is this true?

I see some very good prices on winchester buck shot and slugs at walmart and was wondering if they are safe to buy or not.

What do you say?

Would you trust this ammo for hunting, or even for self defense?

George Orwell
Old April 22, 2008, 07:25 AM   #2
CajunBass

Yes, I would and do trust them for any purpose I would use any shotgun shell for.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old April 22, 2008, 07:36 AM   #3
Tomac

I've only heard of Remington 870's having extraction problems w/the cheap WallyWorld shells. I've got 3 different Norinco 870 clones in my gunsafe that haven't had any problems w/them after many hundreds of rds.
Tomac
Old April 22, 2008, 07:59 AM   #4
mikenbarb

I have ran thousands of them thru a few different guns including rimfires and never had a problem. In fact I just shot 100 wallyworld 7 1/2's 2 days ago and they shot and extracted fine.
Old April 22, 2008, 08:18 AM   #5
2Old2Change

I have never had a problem with them, and I shoot a bunch of tree rats, at various distances, all with 100% good results.
Old April 22, 2008, 08:21 AM   #6
oneounceload

If you're talking about those "Super Speeds", just be forewarned - they are stout 3-1/4 dram eq. shells, so they will kick and kick fairly hard, especially in a light gun.

I'm too old for that abuse - I don't even like 3 dram eq. - make mine 2-3/4 dram at about 1200 fps, and the shells go bang, the targets go bust, and my shoulder can shoot 300 a day without turning purple.....just my .02 worth
Old April 22, 2008, 09:23 AM   #7
JWT

I've shot hundreds of them with no problems getting them to eject. Have had some that are difficult to get in the chamber and several that had the shot falling out due to poor crimping.

I've switched to Estates because I can buy them as cheap or even cheaper at Sportsmans Warehouse than I can get the Winchesters at Wallys.
Old April 22, 2008, 09:34 AM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I have fired untold numbers of the cheap low brass loads from walmart... I actually learned that the shopping cart don't steer so well with too much weight over the steering tires If I need 7 1/2 or 8 size shot I refuse to buy anything but the bulk bricks at wally world. I have never had a single round hang up in Mossberg pumps nor various single shots. That is all I have owned though...
Brent
Old April 22, 2008, 10:14 AM   #9
Balrog54

Quote:
Have had some that are difficult to get in the chamber
Same here. I've shot a lot of Winchester 00 buck from Walmart (bulk packs). Usually have had no problems but I did have one round once that would not chamber in either my Mossberg or my Remington pump.
Old April 22, 2008, 10:47 AM   #10
Juhosaphat

When I take my 870 out for a day of shooting, it sees anywhere from 100-500 shells in a day. I've shot the Winchester stuff and the Federal bulk stuff. Both without a single problem to speak of. It chambers easily and ejects just as easily.
Old April 22, 2008, 11:30 AM   #11
BigJimP

If I'm going to shoot cheap throw away shells - I like the RIO 1 1/16 oz loads. They seem to be more consistent than Estates or the wally world shells.

Personally I like a 1 oz shell around 1225 fps for most of the clay target games as a good all around shell - and that's not easy to find in a retail shell - so consider getting into reloading but you'll want to use a premium hull like Remington STS in a 12ga. I wouldn't reload the wally world stuff or Estate or Rio's for that matter either.
Old April 22, 2008, 11:46 AM   #12
Leif

I put 100 through my BPS this past weekend without problem, though I'm not a decent enough trap shooter to determine the consistency of the shells. I had a few easy misses, so I'll blame the shells.

Seriously, no problems with mine.
Old April 22, 2008, 01:09 PM   #13
Rebelbred

Walmart Shells

I buy Remington, Winchester or Federal 4 box packs of 12 gauge shot shells whichever is cheapest and have had no problem with any of them.

I shoot them in a Remington 1100 and an Ithaca SxS at trap, 5 stand and sporting clays about 100 rounds per week.
Old April 22, 2008, 07:41 PM   #14
bayl778

Have shot 1000's of wally winchesters in O/U, pump and semi auto. never a problem.
Old April 22, 2008, 11:03 PM   #15
olddrum1

I truthfully have never shot one of the Walmart 100 pack loads. I have seen several years ago one of the Winchester shells taken apart and instead of a poly wad it had a fiber wad in it. Has anyone taken a newer shell apart?
Old April 22, 2008, 11:25 PM   #16
DonR101395

I haven't shot tons of them, but the cases I have shot worked as advertised even in my 1100.
Old April 23, 2008, 04:56 AM   #17
Hawg

They work for me.

Quote:
instead of a poly wad it had a fiber wad in it
If it works who cares what kind of wad it has.
Old April 24, 2008, 12:53 AM   #18
King Ghidora

I've had 2 Wally World, Federal 6 shot, hi brass shells get stuck in my 12 ga. 870 Express. It was a dang pain in the rear to get them out too. The last time I had to take the trigger assembly out and pry the shell out of the barrel before I could get the action bar to move enough that I could get the barrel off. It took me about 2 hours to get that hull out. I'll admit I'm no gunsmith but it's an 870. It isn't rocket science to get one apart. I thought I was going to need to visit my local gunsmith to get the thing out of there for a while. I had just cleaned my gun and all that.

When I got the hull out I could see that the brass had expanded some inside the barrel. I have only had this gun about a month (bought it new from Wally World) but I haven't had any problems with any other shells. I've shot other shells from the same box too. I figure I know how to get it out now so it won't be such a pain. I'm trying to make sure I don't leave any reason for the barrel not to work right. I clean it if I only shoot 2 shells.

I don't know what the reason was for this problem really. Whether it was the Wally World shells or the fact that the gun is still very new (still less than 100 shells through it) or what I just don't know. I'm just saying what happened. I'll leave it to others to sort it out.

I will say I've been shooting Wally World shells in my pistols and rifles and my Mossberg 20 ga. for years and the only problems I've ever had was when I used Winchester WinClean shells in my Sig P220. Those shells were just awful. They left more gunk in a gun than any 10 shells I've ever seen before. I stopped buying them (quickly) and I've never had any trouble with any other shell I've bought from WW and I've bought a lot of them for all sorts of guns (mostly rifles and pistols I guess - I squirrel hunt and plink with various .22's and I've shot my .45 and .25 pistols using shells from WW a lot - my other guns - AK-47, SKS, Tokarev, etc. - mostly required ammo not available at WW). I have had a few other 12's which I've shot WW stuff through and didn't have a problem.
Old April 24, 2008, 05:28 AM   #19
Picher

Did you try to remove the stuck empty shell with a cleaning rod from the muzzle?

Picher
Old April 24, 2008, 12:00 PM   #20
King Ghidora

I actually didn't know what was wrong with the thing until I got the trigger assembly out. Once I saw the problem it wasn't hard to pry it out. What took so long was that nothing would come apart so I could see what was going on. Everything was hooked on something else and wouldn't budge. I'll certainly try using a cleaning rod next time though.
Old April 24, 2008, 08:24 PM   #21
rem870hunter

does walmart make ammo? or do they sell name brand ammo, winchester, federal, remington? my walmarts don't sell ammo or guns at all. i have to buy from a few different private shops or dicks sports. i didn't have any trouble so far with remington express buckshot or fine shot,game loads, federal game shock,winchester super x buckshot or fine shot. 1 jammed shell that took a few seconds too cool before ejecting. an estate #7.5 1 and 1/8 oz. target load. happend a few weeks ago. only jam ever so far, i shot 15 of them and then shot number 16, it jammed. hopefully no jam ever again.
Old April 24, 2008, 08:41 PM   #22
TEDDY

Shells

he said winchester.walmart does not make any thing, they sell goods.
se if you can lift the extractor next time.check the chamber and see if it is clean cleaning alone may not take the plastic out of the chamber.
Old April 24, 2008, 10:39 PM   #23
King Ghidora

It was actually Federal Game Shock #6 hi brass that caused the problem for me. I clean my guns every time I shoot or close to it. It possibly could have gotten a little fouled because of shooting a lot rounds at a time. But IMO it was the shells. They shouldn't have swelled like they did. It could have been just a bad batch. I'll just have to keep shooting through the gun to see if the problem repeats I guess.
Old April 24, 2008, 11:24 PM   #24
olddrum1

If it works who cares what kind of wad it has.

I do not really care either, I just wondered if they were still using the fiber wads in them or gone to plastic. Its been several years.
Old April 24, 2008, 11:30 PM   #25
furyfour

I've never had problems with them in my 870 or 1300

but my friend frequently has them get stuck in his mossberg 500