The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 29, 2005, 08:46 PM   #1
semper gero telum

Mossberg 500 plug removal help

Hey Everybody,

First time post so please be kind if I forget to accurately describe everything, or don’t use the proper nomenclature. I have a Mossberg 500 with an 18.5 inch barrel. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to take out the plug in the magazine tube. It currently holds two rounds and I would like to store the maximum amount of rounds it can hold, I think that number is six. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Glock G19 9mm
Colt .380 Gov't
Mosseberg 500 12ga 18.5 (HD)
Old December 29, 2005, 09:01 PM   #2
270Win

On my Rem 870, and probably on your Mossberg, you unscrew the magazine cap, carefully remove the forearm, then carefully remove the piece that's between the cap and the spring/plug... on my old Wingmaster, you just pry it gently with a screwdriver. The newer ones (for Remington) you turn 90 degrees and carefully lift out.

Be careful! The spring likes to fly out when that piece is removed. Block it with your hand. Then the plug comes right out, never to return.

I hoep these directions cover Mossberg too. I'm pretty sure my good friend, who bought a Mossberg Persuader this summer, did this exact procedure when he removed his.

Good luck!
Old December 29, 2005, 10:58 PM   #3
SRG

I believe the mag. tube end piece is welded on and cannot be removed on the 500.

Get yourself an 870 or a 590A1 if you want more flexibility.
Old December 29, 2005, 11:20 PM   #4
doubleaes2

Unscrew the barrel retaining srew at the end of the magazine. Remove the barrel. Point weapon down and shake. A wooden dowel will shortly present itself to you from the hole that the barrel screw was screwed into. Grab said dowel and pull it out. Replace barrel.
Old December 30, 2005, 12:39 PM   #5
Shootinskeet

It will come out. Just unscrew the cap and do like others have metioned. We had the same problem and that is how we got ours out of our mossberg.

aaron
Old January 4, 2006, 10:49 AM   #6
semper gero telum

Thanks

Thank you everyone,

I will try it out this weekend.

Glock G19 9mm
Colt .380 Gov't
Mosseberg 500 12ga 18.5 (HD)