The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 17, 2005, 07:06 PM   #1
WoodMoose

J. Stevens double barrel model #??

I am trying to ID the model number of a J. Stevens side x side shotgun. It is marked as follows:

Left side
----SPRINGFIELD------
J. STEVENS ARMS COMPANY
CHICOPEE FALLS, MASS

Right side: no markings that I can find

Serial number: E38853 (serial number is on all major parts)

Any ideas?

Thanks
John
(PS- new member, this is a great looking site)
Old February 17, 2005, 10:57 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I can't be 1000% sure, but it is a pretty good bet to be a Model 311, the most common side by side marked that way. If so, they were made for many years and discontinued in 1989. There was also a Model 315, but I think they were marked with the model number where the 311 wasn't.

Per the Gun Parts Corp. catalog, the rear trigger guard screw goes into metal on the 315, into wood on the 311, so if it is one or the other, that would be a way to distinguish from the outside. (The guns are quite different internally.)

Jim
Old February 18, 2005, 06:51 AM   #3
WoodMoose

Jim - Thanks for the reply. This shotgun has the rear trigger guard screw going into the metal. The general shape/contour of the action resembles the picture in the GPC catalog for the 315. I'm just wanting to be sure before I order a stock (this one has been broken at the wrist).

So I reckon my best guess is the 315.

Is there a good book on the various J. Stevens / Savage shotguns?

John
Old March 12, 2005, 09:24 PM   #4
HunterTRW

WoodMoose:

R.e., your question about a book or information on Savage/Stevens, the following is from the Savage Website (www.savagearms.com):

"Q. Where do I find information on older model Savage products?

A. Savage Arms is no longer able to access historical information on older Savage, Stevens, or Fox firearms. This information may be available through John Callahan who is an independent arms historian and is not an employee of Savage Arms. Mr. Callahan does not provide parts, gun smith services or offer a locator service for firearms or parts. Please send a detailed letter with:

-Your name and address
-A phone number where you can be contacted if necessary
-The model and/or serial number if available
-Any other pertinent information

Mr. Callahan will respond with a letter detailing his services. Send the
letter to:

John Callahan
53 Quarry Road
Westfield, MA 01085

Q. Are there any reference sources for Savage historical information?

A. Yes, there is a book by Jay Kimmel titled, Savage & Stevens Arms, Collector's History. For more information on where to purchase this book, contact, CoryStevens Publishing, Inc., 15350 NE Sandy Blvd, Portland, OR, 97230, or phone 503-328-9339."

Hope this helps.

Good luck, and good shooting!