The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 9, 2016, 03:40 PM   #1
grumpa72

Best rifle cleaning kit?

My aluminum rod cleaning kit is really showing it's age so I googled that phrase and many of the usual kits come up. The downside is that most of these kits come with 10-15% negative reviews (or worse).

All that said, what cleaning kit do you use for home rifle cleaning and are you pleased with it? Brass or aluminum rods? Solid or hollow tubes? Would you buy it again? For the record, I am not interested in the pull through or Otis-type kit reviews.

Thank you in advance

Grumpa72

[email protected]
Old February 9, 2016, 04:46 PM   #2
wogpotter

I built mine, based on previous experience.
One piece coated s/s rod, the really stiff blue bore brushes from Midway & a set of patch jags & mops in several sizes for each bore diameter.
I actually have both .270 & .30 jags as I find varying patch thicknesses can be a bit of a pain with just the "standard" ones.
Patches I only but 3" sq ones for "12 Ga shotgun" I cut them down in 1/2 or 1/4 for .30 & .22 cal use.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old February 9, 2016, 05:20 PM   #3
grumpa72

Built yours? Hmmm, interesting. Let me ask a few questions then. Stainless steel rod - aren't you worried about damaging the bore and did you tap it so that you can put the jags and brushes? Solid SS rod or hollow? I like creativity.
Old February 9, 2016, 09:27 PM   #4
Shadow72

You can buy a variety of one piece cleaning rods in steel or stainless steel, the key word being coated. A coated rod has a plastic coating that, used properly, protects the bore from rod wear. One should always use a bore guide when cleaning from the muzzle end of the barrel.
Old February 10, 2016, 11:03 AM   #5
wogpotter

I think we have a misunderstanding, I probably should have said "assembled" not built. I assembled the factory-made components to "build" my cleaning kit.

It was bought ready to go, no machining or drilling/tapping needed.
The SS is covered in a tough plastic sleeve so the s/s doesn't contact the bore.
I use copper solvents when cleaning so I try to avoid all brass rods, jags, tips, brushes & so on as they can give a false read for copper fouling. MOst "plastic bristled brushes aren't "firm" enough which is why I specifically like the blue ones from Midway as they are unusually firm.
Aluminum or plastic are the best alternates for brass tools IMO.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”