The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 21, 2014, 09:30 PM   #1
Theohazard

SilencerCo's New Shotgun Silencer

They've been hinting about this for a few days now (so it's not terribly surprising) but SilencerCo just introduced their Salvo 12, which is a modular shotgun silencer. On the outside, it looks like a big Osprey, but I'm very curious to know what the insides look like. It has to be a different baffle design than a normal silencer, but I don't know what that design would be.

As much as I'd love to get one of these, I'll probably hold off for the time being and spend my money on other things. Considering this is the first major-production shotgun silencer, that means shotgun silencer designs are in their infancy. If this proves to be popular and other companies start making their own designs, this SilencerCo model will probably become obsolete even more quickly than normal silencers. And prices will also come down quickly if other companies start making them. What do you guys think, is anyone thinking about getting one of these right away?
______
Old July 21, 2014, 10:13 PM   #2
Sharkbite

Id be curious about baffle design as well. Talk about potential for baffle strikes

Does it thread into a choke tubed barrel or some other attachment?

The decible rating is still pretty loud. I think i'll stick with my 300blk and SDN-6 for now. Id sure like to see how it all works though
Old July 22, 2014, 04:27 PM   #3
Theohazard

Yeah, it threads into the choke threads. And the baffle design must accommodate the huge potential for baffle strikes with a shotgun load. Maybe it's some sort of barrel extension with holes that bleed the gases into the baffles? I really don't know anything about previous shotgun silencer designs. But knowing SilencerCo, I'd be willing to bet that their design is new and different from other previous attempts to design shogun silencers.
Old July 22, 2014, 04:34 PM   #4
Sharkbite

Ummm...

Kinda like the MP5sd? A tube to contain the shot with holed drilled to vent gasses.

Man id like to see one!!
Old July 22, 2014, 04:59 PM   #5
Theohazard

I think the MP5SD only has a vented barrel at the rear of the silencer, I think it has traditional baffles at the forward end. And I would think that simply having a vented barrel with a baffle system around it wouldn't be enough to suppress a shotgun; maybe they're large slots that contain the wad but allow more gas to flow to the baffes? I actually have no idea, I'm simply speculating here.
Old July 22, 2014, 09:37 PM   #6
Willie Lowman

Theo is right about the MP5SD barrel suppressor design.

The new shotgun suppressor seems to be sectional from some of the pics I have seen. I really want to get my hands on one.

Now I'm gonna have to go buy another Benelli so I can mount one of these suppressors on it.
Old July 24, 2014, 08:47 PM   #7
Theohazard

Here we go. That video shows a series of nine rods that surround the bore and keep the wad in place. That actually makes a lot more sense than a tube with holes in it; this way it seems like it would allow more gas to flow to the baffles and yet still be very strong.
Old July 25, 2014, 08:03 AM   #8
Willie Lowman

So the MSRP I have seen for that is $1400. I wonder how much the different choke tube mounts will be? $100?

And is it only good for 12 gauge? Could a 20 be used with the right mounts or would there be a problem with the guide rods?
Old July 30, 2014, 02:16 AM   #9
NorwegianShooter

1400 is an insane ripoff... Get rid of those silly NFA regs on suppressors, so the market can balance itself out.
Old July 30, 2014, 07:44 AM   #10
Skans

Quote:
1400 is an insane ripoff
For small cottage industry basically hand made specialty mechanical devices, I'd say that may be a little high but not too far off the mark. You can't even buy a mass produced Swiss automatic chronograph watch for that anymore.
Old July 30, 2014, 08:45 AM   #11
Jim Watson

Hushpower in England has been doing shotgun suppressors for several years. They use a drilled barrel and a couple of baffles out front as the load leaves the choke.
They will sell you (in England) a suppressed 20 ga Over-Under on a Spanish Fabarms action complete for 830 Pounds = $1402 today. No transfer tax, if you go to the trouble to get even a shotgun certificate, a silencer is just being neighborly.

A Mossberg 500 with Hushpower barrel and standard is 499 Pounds = $843.

A detachable "moderator" is only 160 pounds = $270.
Old July 31, 2014, 08:16 AM   #12
Armorer-at-Law

I'm curious as to what effect it has on the pattern for bird shot. With a slug or buck shot, it is not a big deal. But there's a reason we use a variety of different chokes for bird shot, whether hunting, trap, skeet, etc.
Old July 31, 2014, 08:27 AM   #13
MarkCO

Full length wads or slugs are what they are recommending, so it might not be a good fit for standard birdshot loads with wads that have petals. The rods have to be able to keep the wad axial or there will be a big potential for problems.
Old July 31, 2014, 01:15 PM   #14
Sharkbite

And it eliminated any choke tube you may have used before. The can now screws into the spot the tube used to

SO... Its a quieter cylinder bore gun
Old July 31, 2014, 07:01 PM   #15
Deja vu

Quote:
And it eliminated any choke tube you may have used before. The can now screws into the spot the tube used to

SO... Its a quieter cylinder bore gun
are you sure you cant get attachment in the choke you want? The email I sent them asking about the silencer in question seemed to imply that the attachment will come in a few different chokes.

am I wrong?

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old July 31, 2014, 07:50 PM   #16
Sharkbite

Quote:
are you sure you cant get attachment in the choke you want? The email I sent them asking about the silencer in question seemed to imply that the attachment will come in a few different chokes.
No, im not sure. All i know is the suppressor threads into the choke tubed barrel.

Are you saying there is a way to then thread you choke tube into the end of the can?
Old August 1, 2014, 04:21 AM   #17
NorwegianShooter

Quote:
For small cottage industry basically hand made specialty mechanical devices, I'd say that may be a little high but not too far off the mark. You can't even buy a mass produced Swiss automatic chronograph watch for that anymore.
You probably can´t, but you can get 2x swiss made Brügger & Thomet Impulse V .223 suppressors with QD mounts, or, 3x B&T Impulse .45 for pistols. So yeah...
Old September 12, 2014, 03:44 PM   #18
Darker Loaf

That seems crazy awesome. I've heard about it before. Sorry, if I am "thread bumping." It just seems so cool.

I wonder if it is as quiet as the video makes it seem. Would that work on a Saiga 12? How does it affect cycling with a semi-auto shotgun in general?
Old September 12, 2014, 09:44 PM   #19
skizzums

I doubt the saiga 12 would have any issue with cycling. I don't have data to back that up, but they seem to cycle well with anything you toss down it's throat, I don't think the slight difference a silencer will bring to the equation will cause any problems
Old September 14, 2014, 03:02 AM   #20
Tucker 1371

I actually think a Saiga may work better with a suppressor. My brother's has issues with anything other than slugs or buckshot, might be a low back pressure issue? If I understand correctly suppressor a increase back pressure. I'm purely speculating here so correct me of I'm wrong, I won't be offended.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old September 14, 2014, 03:27 AM   #21
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker 1371
I actually think a Saiga may work better with a suppressor. My brother's has issues with anything other than slugs or buckshot, might be a low back pressure issue? If I understand correctly suppressor a increase back pressure. I'm purely speculating here so correct me of I'm wrong, I won't be offended.
You're correct that silencers increase back-pressure. I don't know much about Saiga 12s, but gas-operated firearms get a boost in pressure in their gas system from almost all suppressors, so the Saiga shouldn't be any different.

If the problem with your brother's Saiga is shooting under-pressure loads, a silencer will increase the gas pressure and possibly fix the problem.
Old September 14, 2014, 02:56 PM   #22
Darker Loaf

I know this is the wrong spot to ask this question, but I got low responses to my Saiga 12 question. What do you gentlemen think of Saiga 12's? Does anybody know how well they run?

It's my understanding that leaving them full-length at 19" helps with reliability with lower-pressure loads (much like having more back pressure from a suppressor).
Old September 14, 2014, 04:39 PM   #23
skizzums

they run like a BOSS!!!! if you want one, better get it now, cause they ain't going to get cheaper than they are RIGHT NOW. you already missed the boat on getting them under a grand. I wouldn't want to chop the barrel either, shoguns don't run at a high pressure. if you wanted to shorten the barrel, then you would have to alter the gas system. low pressure has a hard time making the piston work reliably and any length you remove equals pressure lost.
Old September 15, 2014, 12:47 AM   #24
Darker Loaf

Thanks skizzums! That's the kind of feedback I was looking for. My local hardware store still has them, pre-import ban prices. That's why they look so juicy to me. I guess it seems like a no-brainer then, and at least a decent investment for resale.

Is there anything like a Noveske flash pig for Saiga to increase the back-pressure?

Note to moderators or other who have commented: Sorry for extending this thread off topic. Hope it doesn't bother anybody.
Old September 15, 2014, 08:28 PM   #25
skizzums

well, I know you can add chokes that have threads on the end for the brake. I believe you can buy chokes that have a more standard thread size on the outside so you can add the more popular ones

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.co...-adpt-full.htm

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.co...gm-12sabre.htm

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?...e-attachments/

they also have ones that the choke threads inside of the brake, kind of giving you that look your talking about, but I don't see and fat ones like the pig your talking about

Tags
shotgun silencer , shotgun suppressor , silencerco