The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 26, 2011, 04:22 PM   #1
Colorado Redneck

Don't vacuum primers off the floor

Well, I finally did it---set off a live primer with the vacuum.

When we finished the basement, we used a berber carpet, just like the upstairs. Little did we know that the room we now call the Mancave would end up being a reloading shop. Over the years I have dropped a few live primers on the floor, and usually could locate the little boogers and pick them up. I knew there were probably a few live ones still in that light tan carpet.

I was using a rubber band to hold the spent primer cup on the Rockchucker press. One evening I left probably 75 or so spent primers in that cup and went upstairs. Next time I went in the mancave, the rubber band had snapped and spent primers were scattered across the carpet.

So, today I was cleaning the floor downstairs and decided to clean up those spent primers-with the el cheapo upright vacuum I have down there. I picked up most of the spent primers with the little plastic wand, but decided to vacuum the whole room. I could hear stuff getting sucked up, and then it sounded like one of those little cracker balls went off, and instantly I could smell fired primer.

That vacuum has always got a bunch of cat hair and sometimes sawdust in the bag. So I unplugged it and hauled it right up and out onto a concrete slab. The bag was 2/3 full and had not ignited. Most likely the primer ignited from static discharge in the floor cleaning head where the rotating brush is sweeping the floor.

I got off easy.

Don't take it for granted you won't set off a primer with the vacuum.
Old March 26, 2011, 05:09 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Primer dust is full of water-soluble lead compounds that you don't want a vacuum sending into the air for you to inhale or to settle on anything kids might touch before putting their hands in their mouths. You want a HEPA rated vacuum for the purpose or to use a carpet steam cleaner than wets the dust and holds it in a collector. I've used a shop vac with water in the canister as well as leaving the paper filter on top to catch that stuff (just don't jostle it enough to we the paper filter by sloshing the water around). I don't really know how well that did for sure, but I don't have any little ones in the house, either.

Because of that dust, I don't think I'd set up to reload directly over carpet. I'd nail a plastic catch bucket a plastic garbage bag liner under it. Use a steam cleaner with plain water on the occasions you clean around that area.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 26, 2011, 05:14 PM   #3
LOUD

I dropped a live primer on a concrete floor and couldnt find it ,till I scooted my chair with my heavy self in it and guess what "BANG"!!!! I dont mind tellin you it DID startle me. Man I hope that doesnt happen too often ! ........LOUD
Old March 26, 2011, 05:47 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Heh, heh. Probably came darn close to having to clean up more than just the floor.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 26, 2011, 06:25 PM   #5
LOUD

Unclenick , You right about that!!! ...Wheeeew!......LOUD
Old March 26, 2011, 07:20 PM   #6
Lost Sheep

Does no one use a dropcloth?

An old bedsheet spread out under your loading area will catch all spilled powder, primers, residue etc, and also tends to prevent round objects from rolling away, under things, etc.

Not that it's necessary if you have a dedicated loading area or never drop or spill anything, but a REALLY good idea if you load in the living room, eh?

Lost Sheep
Old March 26, 2011, 08:07 PM   #7
Colorado Redneck

Drop cloth

Good suggestion. In fact, maybe a rubber matt that is dark colored for that side of the room. The primers are so darned hard to see on the tan carpet, and get down into the weave.

Thanks for all the input to all.
Old March 26, 2011, 10:13 PM   #8
chiefr

Better you than the 'ol lady
Old March 26, 2011, 11:00 PM   #9
medalguy

I use a shop vac and pick up primers and powder regularly, never had any problems. Using an upright vac with a beater is probably asking for trouble.
Old March 26, 2011, 11:04 PM   #10
jmorris

Crashing into an impeller will do that, an air vacuum doesn't have this problem, that's what I use.
Old March 27, 2011, 12:49 AM   #11
Jim243

Redneck

Get yourself a small shopvac and keep an inch of water in it when using it in the reloading area. I use mine for spilt powder, primers dirt and dust. The items go into the water long before they come in contact with the motor which has a filter on it anyways. No guarantees in life but much less likely that any primers will go off.

Jim
Old March 27, 2011, 02:19 PM   #12
Sid

I have been picking them up with a lightweight vac and have never had any problems so far. I have also picked them up with a Dust Buster on occasion. I always wear safety glasses when reloading just in case one of these things goes off.
Old March 27, 2011, 03:15 PM   #13
g.willikers

Want to put some excitement in your wife?
Spill some primers down the disposal and wait.
Old March 27, 2011, 03:22 PM   #14
Sarge

Just for the record, live primers are nothing to screw around with. A coffee cup full of them isn't far off from a half-stick of dynamite. When a primer is exploded in the open, hose little anvils travel at high velocity. They will notch an ear or take an eye out at the very least.

Last edited by Sarge; March 27, 2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: edited to add 'live' primers
Old March 27, 2011, 04:18 PM   #15
oneounceload

An old area rug or one of the office plastic chair mats underneath will work. I vacuum spent spilled primers up all the time - no issues there, but I also learned a LONG time ago to reload in an area with a hard floor surface...
Old March 27, 2011, 09:43 PM   #16
Colorado Redneck

Primers in the garbage disposal

g wilikers--your suggestion made me snicker, but that little blue eyed woman would probably never forget that. The excitement would soon be transferred right back to me. I sleep with her, and me being about half deaf, she holds the upper hand.

everybody--thanks for the comments.
Old March 28, 2011, 07:01 AM   #17
rodfac

Wife of a friend vacuumed his shop area several years ago and managed to set off a shotgun primer. The bag contained the usual accumulation of dog hair, flying dust...and who'd'a'guessed...some spilled Unique. The explosion ripped the bag in half, left her looking bedraggled, covered in dust; but otherwise unhurt. The a$$-chewing session (and believe me, he was on the receiving end) went on for days, initially, and later for years afterword at barbecues, cocktail parties, Christmas parties...you get the idea.

I've stepped on a cpl and set them off as well as they scraped across my concrete (is there another type) basement floor. I could distinctly feel the 'bump' against the sole of my shoe.

Primers are nothing to mess with...the NRA has some good thoughts on storage and procedural use...well worth investigation...Let's all be careful...Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old March 29, 2011, 10:21 PM   #18
Tikka Lover

My uncle vacuumed up a loaded .22 shell and it went off, no one got hurt and it was probably a fluke but it can happen.
Old March 30, 2011, 04:22 PM   #19
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
My mom would use NAPA as a carpet cleaner back in the 50s and 60s.
Unclenick might remember!
Mom would clean the spots, then vacuum the carpet with her Kirby vacuum.
One day POW, flames shot out the side of the vacuum and left a burn mark on the rug, about 3" X 10"
I never told her that I dropped a primer several minutes before!
I took years off that womens life !
I just hope she is looking down with a smile, I hope.
Edward5759
Old March 30, 2011, 05:23 PM   #20
m&p45acp10+1

I am fortuanate enough to have lenolium floors in my apartment. I just use one of the cheapo Mr Clean micro fiber dust mops to sweep up the floor when I am done realoading. I have a family friend that uses a shop vac in his reloading area. Never heard him mention any primers popping while he was vaccuning.
Old March 31, 2011, 04:42 PM   #21
stu925

Quote:
I was using a rubber band to hold the spent primer cup on the Rockchucker press.
I tried that route myself, had the same issue. Luckily mine was empty when the band let go. I have since invested in a bag of 8" zip ties, leave it just a little bit loose and you can remove the cup without cutting the tie. Works like a charm for me.

Stu
Old March 31, 2011, 08:34 PM   #22
Clark

Why can't I get a primer to go off in a vacuum cleaner?

What am I doing wrong?
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old April 1, 2011, 11:59 AM   #23
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
Do you have an exposed impeller
Old April 1, 2011, 06:40 PM   #24
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Another Shop Vac guy here after I sweep up first. If any go off when getting sucked up I wouldn't know because all I can hear is one loud noise and a little pop wouldn't register on me unless the canister blew up.

That I would probably notice.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old April 1, 2011, 07:02 PM   #25
TeamSinglestack

Quote:
An old bedsheet spread out under your loading area will catch all spilled powder, primers
HA!

Like socks, primers are escape artists of the highest skill and cunning, and can NOT be contained!

(sweeps up dust from under bed....notices something....odd!?)

PRIMER!! *** are you doing there!!!