The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 22, 2007, 04:37 PM   #1
ekim99

Cimarron "P" Model or Fronter Six Shooter

Can someone tell me the difference between the Cimarron "P" Model and the Cimarron Fronter Six Shooter, besides the $200 difference.

Mike
Old October 22, 2007, 05:06 PM   #2
Hawg

Beautifully case colored frames and hammers in the same bone charcoal and leather technique used on the originals.
Old October 25, 2007, 10:17 PM   #3
Wolf Lies Down

Yeah, the Finish

--
-The finish on the more expensive weapon, as Hawg said, is the difference.

If you are shooting CAS, you'll need two, which translates to $400 more.

CAS guns get used a lot: handling, shooting, cleaning and transporting.

The bone charcoal finish is in my opinion the absolutely most beautiful gun blue finish obtainable. However, it is also pretty fragile compared to other finishes. As it wears, the charcoal blue will weather into that old silvery look you see on old examples of Colt SAAs. Case finishes will also weather out over time.

However, the bone charcoal blue is also susceptable to damage from everyday items we sometimes use to clean with or handle near the guns, such as vinegar and stuff containing vinegar, Coke and other soft drinks and solvents containing various chemical elements. It also will accumulate holster wear faster than other finishes. Keeping a nice coat of anhydrous lanolin on the guns can help considerably, but is a stopgap measure.

I'm not saying you should not get the charcoal blue finish, but you should be aware of what you are dealing with.

Last edited by Wolf Lies Down; October 25, 2007 at 10:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old October 25, 2007, 11:22 PM   #4
CraigC

Are you talking about that light blue finish they 'call' charcoal blue, that is actually nitre bluing or the real thing, also known as carbona blue? Because carbona blue, as the USFA Pre-War guns are finished, is one of the most beautiful and durable blued finishes available. It's also one of the most expensive. That light blue stuff they call charcoal blue (nitre blue) is fragile and not authentic for anything but small parts.

Can't tell which type of bluing is on the Cimarron Frontier Sixshooter, modern hot blue or carbona. I would assume it's a modern hot blue.
Old October 26, 2007, 03:22 AM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
Can't tell which type of bluing is on the Cimarron Frontier Sixshooter, modern hot blue or carbona. I would assume it's a modern hot blue.
It's not a modern hot blue. It's the same case hardening process used on original Colt's.
Old October 26, 2007, 11:34 PM   #6
CraigC

I wasn't talking about the case colored frames and hammers but the bluing present on the rest of the gun.
Old October 27, 2007, 08:07 AM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
I wasn't talking about the case colored frames and hammers but the bluing present on the rest of the gun.
Oh, sorry, guess that's what I get for posting at 3 in the morning. I don't know what finish is on the rest of the gun.