The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 6, 2010, 12:48 PM   #1
darko

HK 416D 22lr (H&K) Walther/Umarex

I just picked up the new HK416D dedicated 22 long rifle-this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D0scB_NpE4

and wanted to post my initial thoughts for those of you interested in it. The rifle is an H&K licensed reproduction made by Walther (in Germany) and is being imported/serviced by Umarex. I happened across this one on Buds. The rifle appears to still be fairly scarce (at least in this area) and there is not much, if any info, (that I could find) on them so, here is my contribution.

Overall, the quality appears to be very good with one exception; the dust cover on mine does not close (the latch does not engage). It is my undrstanding (according to the product description and vids that I have seen) that it is supposed to work-mine does not. I have e-mailed Umarex and am awaiting a response. Hopefully, this is something that can be fixed with minimal trouble. If not, it is not too big of a deal for me but it would be nice if it worked properly.

Some improvements appear to have been made since the Umarex Colt M4's, namely, the field stripping is a little easier. From what I have read/seen, the Colt required one to loosen the flash hider before being able to pop the rear pin. Once done, there were two loose pieces (in the Colts) that were to be removed, (the bolt hold and another part in the lower-not sure what the latter is called off hand).

Said procedure has been slightly simplified in the HK. The rear take-down pin can be easily removed without messing with the flash hider and the loose parts now appear to be fixed parts.

Magazines appear to be interchangable with the Colt models. I purchased a spare 30 round Colt mag for my HK and although it seats just fine, it does not drop free as does the stock-included 20 round mag. That may, or may not be related to the specific mag that I bought, I do not know.

I can not say much more in this mini review as I will not get range time until (hopefully) this weekend. I would also add pics for you but lack the knowledge and/or capacity to do so. As the linked video shows, the rifle is all metal (except the stock) and has a pretty good bit of weight to it. It certainly feels a good deal heavier than my S&W M&P15-22. Hopefully the HK will be as reliable and accurate as my M&P. I guess that I will find out soon enough.

The stock HK diopter sights appear the be pretty nice but I found that I like my Magpul sights a bit more. Anyway, I guess that is all that I can offer for now. I will try to report back (hopefully with a good range report).

I almost forgot to add a small note about ammo. The lower is stamped with the model i.e. HK 416D. It is also stamped with 22 L.R. HV. It goes without say that the L.R. means long rifle and one might assume that the HV means high-velocity. One nagging concern for me is that this rifle will only work well with the more expensive high velocity stuff, i.e. CCI mini mags, etc. Again, I will find out soon enough but hope that is not the case.

28:06:42:12

Last edited by darko; October 6, 2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: add info
Old October 6, 2010, 01:04 PM   #2
full.tang.halo

What's the cost difference between the HK416D & S&W M&P15-22?

I'm seeing a $50-$75 "HK tax" for this. I by no means think they shouldn't charge more if they want to, but they ain't gonna get it from me.
Old October 6, 2010, 01:52 PM   #3
Ridge_Runner_5

I refuse to buy any of those simply because HK sued GSG to get the -5 off the market so they could introduce their Umarex one...
Old October 6, 2010, 02:07 PM   #4
full.tang.halo

Quote:
I refuse to buy any of those simply because HK sued GSG to get the -5 off the market so they could introduce their Umarex one...
The hypocrisy of the HK lawsuit was "their" guns are biased off the Spanish government CETME, which the German technicians borrowed from their earlier work on WWII Sturmgewehr 45.....

NO stealing our stuff we stole from the Spanish that used ex german technicians to make....
Old October 6, 2010, 09:31 PM   #5
essohbe

Hopefully it isn't as big a POS as the "Colt"-Umarex one... :barf:
Old October 11, 2010, 11:40 AM   #6
darko

A quick follow-up for those interested (and the Googlers out there trying to find info like I did).

Range report-

I took it out to the range this weekend and am happy to say that it performed flawlessly. Said range charges by the hour so, I was pressed for time and only had a chance to put roughly 150 rounds through it (zeroed irons and dot).

Zero malfuntiones! Also, the (Umarex) Colt M4 30 round mags work perfectly. I have owned a Sig 522 and the S&W M&P15-22 and would have to give nods to accuracy to the Sig above the rest but, overall accuracy was pretty good. Once zeroed, I was able to quickly hollow out the center of the target with the dot. Overall, I am very pleased and would have to give it a thumbs-up.

One may surmise that the bugs have been worked out with this one over the Colt version. The biggest complaint that I have is the inability to pull the bolt out for cleaning (and my non-working dust cover). Otherwise it is a good 22 and one bad*&^ looking tactical plinker.

Last edited by darko; October 12, 2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Old October 11, 2010, 06:10 PM   #7
Jo6pak

Quote:
I almost forgot to add a small note about ammo. The lower is stamped with the model i.e. HK 416D. It is also stamped with 22 L.R. HV. It goes without say that the L.R. means long rifle and one might assume that the HV means high-velocity. One nagging concern for me is that this rifle will only work well with the more expensive high velocity stuff, i.e. CCI mini mags, etc. Again, I will find out soon enough but hope that is not the case.

In my experience all the tacticool rimfires need to be fed the HV fodder. Seems the same for my GSG, buddies SIG and S+W. Most of the dedicated AR uppers seems to liek the high velocity stuff as well. Heck, still a helluvalot cheaper than 5.56.

Very cool little rifle, thanks for the post and report
Old October 12, 2010, 07:31 AM   #8
Warchild

Quote:
In my experience all the tacticool rimfires need to be fed the HV fodder.
I most certainly know what you mean but my 522 has been the exception to the rule. I've fed it everything up to and including Golden Bullet and Federal red box and blue box with zero issues to report.
Old October 12, 2010, 08:30 AM   #9
EdInk

I think I'll just stick with my GSG carbine. H&K would have done better to just sue for royalty fees. FWIW You can still find them and the prices
are not bad. IMHO it's the best .22lr "black rifle" you can buy.
Old October 12, 2010, 10:22 AM   #10
darko

AMMO

Whoops, sorry, I forgot to add that the ammo I used was Winchester (white box-cheap stuff). It fed and fired with no problems so, it would appear that the high velocity/CCI stuff is not needed to cycle this rifle properly. Which is great!

Last edited by darko; October 12, 2010 at 10:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old December 5, 2012, 07:16 PM   #11
dusty_dragon

sorry for high jacking this older thread, but i own a HK416 .22 too.

is it for sure that you don't have to loosen the flashhider for disassembly?

i couldn't find anything in the manual and on youtube/umarex channel, they disassemble the HK 416 without loosening the FH.

so is it true that you only have to loosen the FH on the walther/umarex M4 models, but not aon the walther/umarex HK 416 models, right?

a little bit earlier int his thread you talk about standard and high velocity .22 l.r. ammo.
for the use of standard velocity or high velocity rounds, you can adjust the recoil spring pressure with a hex screw for each variant of ammo after flipping open the upper.