The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 28, 2015, 06:42 AM   #1
Tactical Jackalope

Colt Rail Gun anyone?

I'm thinking about / in the process of picking up a Government Model Colt Rail Gun. Does anybody have one? Thoughts?
Old June 28, 2015, 08:44 AM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I built a 1911 with a rail based on a Caspian railed receiver, several years before Colt came out with the Rail Gun.

It sits in the safe. Holsters are difficult to find.
Old June 29, 2015, 03:25 PM   #3
sgms

Have had one for a while now. Overall a good pistol, especially if you are plan ing to hang a light/laser for use in home protection. But as Agulia Blanca said the rail (and any thing on the rail) makes it hard to get holsters that fit well. If you know a good holster maker or make them yourself then no problems.
Old June 29, 2015, 08:18 PM   #4
michael t

That kind of thinking one more reason Colt need to file Chapter 11 Rails are for trains not firearms.
Old June 30, 2015, 10:07 PM   #5
Lurch37

[QUOTE especially if you are planning to hang a light/laser for use in home protection.][/QUOTE]

I personally don't care for the looks of a rail on a 1911 but that is just personal preference. However, as the above poster states, they do work very well for mounting a light if you subscribe to the gun mounted light concept.
Old June 30, 2015, 11:59 PM   #6
DanTSX

I don't think they will EVER get any cheaper to buy, or any better made than they are now.

I'd jump on every Colt you can get your hands on right now given their difficulties. If you can only get one, and you like the rail gun model, get that.
Old July 1, 2015, 03:29 PM   #7
shaunpain

I've been thinking about putting a rail gun together myself. While I do like the Colt, it probably wouldn't be the manufacturer I'd go with as there are plenty of other great choices out there. When I was purchasing a holster for my Sig 1911 which has a non-standard slide profile, Crossbreed had what I wanted and I noticed that they made holsters for railed 1911s. I do highly recommend a Crossbreed.
Old July 1, 2015, 04:12 PM   #8
Independent George

I saw the title, and was thinking of a very different kind of rail gun...
Old July 1, 2015, 06:47 PM   #9
mudstud

I keep a Colt Rail Gun, with a Viridian X5L green laser/light mounted as a bedside gun. Could care less if it fits in a holster. Got plenty others for that. YMMV
Old July 3, 2015, 05:15 AM   #10
halfcocked

I have the black finish one and really like it. I wasn't big on rails on 1911s at first, but I had in my head I needed a Colt, so went for it at the LGS. Shoots very well (I haven't benched it though) and no jams so far after 100rounds or so. I put a set of FDE magpul grips on it to contrast the black finish. Fit and finish are good but the slide fitting isn't as tight as on my Springfield Range Officer, but I figure the Colt isn't made to be as much a target gun. The only thing that puzzled me a little was when I first took it apart before shooting, the slide stop pin had some surface rust on it. I couldn't figure that out on a stainless gun with cerakote finish, but it wiped off easy with oil. Overall it's one of my favorite pistols, but I have a thing for 1911s.
Old July 3, 2015, 06:50 AM   #11
agtman

I caved in and got the Marine "rail gun," the M45A1. Shoots great.

Not pictured, but it now runs an Inforce APL - in matching FDE, of course.

Old July 3, 2015, 08:13 AM   #12
DanTSX

Colt rail gun specific holsters are one of the more commonly encountered when shopping for a railed 1911 holster.

Note that hoslters for the Colt M45 have been different than the standard rail gun.
Old July 3, 2015, 01:15 PM   #13
wilsoni91

I have a Colt Rail Gun and I love it. It took me awhile to find a nice holster for it but when I did it worked perfectly for me.