The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 6, 2009, 12:57 PM   #1
51_60_colt

Walker grip frame

Is it possible to put a walker grip frame on an 1851 or 1860 colt? I like the way it looks and feels....just wonderin. Thanks!
Old May 6, 2009, 05:22 PM   #2
madcratebuilder

It would not be a practical undertaking, but nothing is impossible with time and money.
Old May 9, 2009, 07:01 AM   #3
CaptainCrossman

there's only one way to find out, unbolt it from the Walker, and try it on the medium 1851-60-61 frame.

I'd expect it not to work, but who knows- the only way to know for sure, is put both guns side by side, compare, and then try the swap.

Last time I did something like that, was 1851 Navy grips/grip frame, on an 1860 Army gun frame. It worked, but required drilling the countersinks larger in the 1851 Navy brass grip frame, to accept the larger Army grip frame screws. It did end up saving the gun from the scrap pile, as it was a brass frame 1851 Navy, that broke the frame/pulled arbor, and all I could get to replace it was an 1860 Army steel frame.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Last edited by CaptainCrossman; May 9, 2009 at 07:09 AM.
Old May 9, 2009, 07:34 AM   #4
williamfeldmann

I am pretty reasonable sure the 51 and 60 used the exact same frame, just the other stuff changed, grips, cylinder, and barrel assembly
Old May 9, 2009, 05:06 PM   #5
51_60_colt

Quote:
but nothing is impossible with time and money
haha I having niether...i didnt know that the frame was larger on a walker, but I have never held one before or seen one in person. Thanks!
Old May 10, 2009, 08:30 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I am pretty reasonable sure the 51 and 60 used the exact same frame, just the other stuff changed, grips, cylinder, and barrel assembly
The Walker and Dragoon grip frame is close to a quarter inch wider, screw spacing an eight inch wider and the hammer slot is a sixteenth wider. While very similar in appearance they are a much larger scale.

I miss read your post. Yes the 51 Navy, 61 Navy and 60 army use very similar grip frames and could be swapped with minor fitting.