The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 20, 2013, 06:38 PM   #1
Forrest68

Load info

Hello all,

I am fairly new to all this basically self taught(which means I've read and watchen about 1000 hours worth of vidoes and articles. I have teh Lyman 49th edition. and teh lee data sheets plus hodgdon data, but have a problem finden load data on plated bullets both 115gr 9mm and 180gr .40 cal. after tons of searchen found a starting point for the 9mm and after a few tries found a decsent load for the HP38(guess it would help to tell you the powder I'm useing, lol) I also have a fair amount of titegroup.

My question is does anyone know what starting point would be good for these plated 180gr bullets with either HP38 or Titegroup.

Thank for any and all help

Last edited by Forrest68; June 20, 2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old June 20, 2013, 06:55 PM   #2
allaroundhunter

Re: Load info

Check out hodgdon.com.

If you find a max load reference, a safe starting point is usually cutting back 10% from that.
Old June 20, 2013, 07:03 PM   #3
Forrest68

Only data I could find on hodgdon for either the HP38 or Tite group is either for Horndy XTP which Is a hollow point or BERB FP and Im not familiar with what BERB is? I did mention I had reviewed the Hodgdon data.
Old June 20, 2013, 07:32 PM   #4
dickttx

From Berry's web site FAQ:
Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.

Look for this data on the Hodgdon web site..
Old June 20, 2013, 08:03 PM   #5
Misssissippi Dave

Often for plated bullets you can start at the mid-range for lead bullets for the low end and the mid-range of jacketed bullets for the top end of your load data. This is assuming you are using the same basic shape and weight of bullet. I know of some people that believe the upper end of lead data should be the starting point. When working up loads I tend to error on the safer side. Very thinly plated bullets are normally loaded with just the lead bullet data.
Old June 20, 2013, 11:22 PM   #6
steve4102

Forrest, you can use data of same weight bullet of similar construction, it does not have to be the exact same bullet.

As a new handloader I would suggest you put the Titegroup on the back burner for awhile. At least until you get your feet good and wet and have a little more experience.

TG is a very fast burner and does not play nice when pushed to it's upper limits. If I were you I would start out with some medium burners that are more forgiving. JMHO
Old June 21, 2013, 08:56 AM   #7
Forrest68

Thanks Guys,

That what I was looking for a starten point. Good info Steve, Im only looking for plinking round so Im not going anywhere near max loads right now. On my 9mm 115 jacketed I found the max load to be 5gr of HP38, started at 4gr worked my way up 4.3 works reliably and accuratly , tested some at 4.6 just to see, Unless I have an issue 4.3 works for me. Thanks again.