The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 28, 2012, 12:15 AM   #1
farmboy

Pick up an AR sometime or stick with my SKS?

Well, shame on me. Here I am again, in the midst of gun world panic, and no AR in the safe. I've fished around lately, as I'm sure many of you have done, but to no avail.

I do, however, have three SKS's in the safe and about 1000 rounds of ammo. One of 'em has been restocked in a nice plastic Choate stock, and bright Williams Fire sights are installed.

Do I eventually buy an AR if I can, or just stick with the SKS and build up the ammo stocks?
Old December 28, 2012, 12:35 AM   #2
Hairbag

Stick with your SKS for now. Even if you do find a AR and pay $$$$ your not going to find ammo at least until this frenzy calms down. What good is it if you don't have any ammo or mags for it? Not to mention how expensive 223 ammo was anyway and it's not going to get any cheaper anytime soon. a 500rd case of 7.62x39 brown bear ammo has been going up $20 a day on CTD website. You don't even want to know what 223 is going for!
Old December 28, 2012, 01:04 AM   #3
Unspoken

Up until yesterday I had 3 SKS's

When I heard semiautos have been flying off the shelves at breakneck pace, I decided to take advantage.

I gave up a Norinco and $70 for a Gew 98, a Spanish Mauser, and a K31 at my local pawn shop. They seemed ecstatic at putting an SKS on the rack, as opposed to three rifles that had sat there for 10 weeks.

I know that doesn't answer your question regarding an AR, but I think if you explore your options you can wrangle up an appealing trade bargain.
Old December 28, 2012, 01:36 AM   #4
raftman

Pretty much what Hairbag said. You're unlikely to find a good deal on an AR these days (though you might if and when the panic dies down). Bad time to get into .223/5.56 ammo and AR mags as well. Later down the road if things improve, it may be worth pursuing.
Old December 28, 2012, 01:43 AM   #5
tahunua001

I must admit if I was in your shoes that I would find it very tempting to sell one of the SKS's probably my least favorite of the three for slightly under what everyone else is selling them for. it would be easy to find a buyer in today's madhouse and you would make enough to aid the purchase of an AR without feeling guilty about gauging anyone as your price is still cheaper than any other game in town. then I would wait for the panic to die down, for ARs to go back to normal price and for 223 to become more available and buy them low rather than high. 2 SKS in the safe still shoot and the 1,000 rounds in your stockpile still have guns to feed it too while you wait.
Old December 28, 2012, 12:06 PM   #6
RC20

The SKS certainly is good enough for what I think most of us have at least partially an AR or an AR type for (short term SHTF be it a local brew up or natural disaster)

Long term if you like the AR for shooting get one. Get the right one and they can be great target shooting guns. Still can serve as a SD much like a range pistol (does not have to be concealable for that so can be dual)
Old December 29, 2012, 12:43 AM   #7
okiewita40

Stick with the SKS. Those of us that own them know they are over built and can shoot every kind of cheap steel case crappy ammo and be happy doing it.
Old December 29, 2012, 01:29 AM   #8
5whiskey

The question really depends on who is asking it. Have you always wanted an AR? Is it one of those things that you've planned on getting for a while? Or do you just plan on keeping a good rifle for "just in case"? If you REALLY want an AR, and always have, I would probably sell an SKS or two and use the proceeds to fund a build. If you look closely at auctions ending at obscure times on gunbroker, you can get a stripped lower for 200 bucks. I would also spring for a few magazines, a butt stock, and some .223 components + reloading press/dies. I predict everything else will be plentiful and cheap this time next year.

Unspoken, I like your trade. I would've taken that and walked out the door with a chubby.
Old December 29, 2012, 02:07 AM   #9
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboy
I do, however, have three SKS's in the safe and about 1000 rounds of ammo.
Ask yourself, what is the AR15 going to do for me that I can't do now?

Then decide if it's worth the $$$ to go out and find one. You are the only one who can make that decision. What I or anyone else here thinks is really of no matter.
Old December 29, 2012, 03:09 AM   #10
RockyMtnTactical

Join the NRA, write your congressmen and this might just go away...
Old December 29, 2012, 05:57 AM   #11
farmboy

Long past done on this one.

And for those of you at home, if you haven't written to you local state level politicians, you're behind the 8 ball.

Now that some of you ask the question, I had an AR and hated it. In retrospect, I doubt I'll be buying one anytime in the near future. (unless it's a speculative investment, of course.)
Old December 29, 2012, 06:23 AM   #12
Sport45

I don't think now's the time to be thinking about AR's as a money making investment unless you're really into the buy high - sell low thing.

Not much of an investment if you buy later either. There's no telling when the next "panic" will be and having the money tied up in the back of your safe is silly.

Might be different if you didn't hate the things.
Old December 29, 2012, 10:19 AM   #13
stubbicatt

True enough. Buying something you don't fancy, even as an investment, is sort of silly.

I too prefer the x39 round, and prefer to shoot the SKS as it is a more or less standard configuration rifle, which I like better than pistol grips.

Buy some ammo and maybe a 22. Enjoy!
Old December 29, 2012, 10:38 AM   #14
arch308

As others have said, now is not the time to buy an AR. I search the web and just LOL at the prices these days. Not to mention the price & availability of the ammo.
I own one of each and both the SKS & AR15 have their merits. It would be tough to give up one or the other. The AR is a bit more accurate but the SKS is just plain bullet proof.
My thoughts on your situation... I would sell your least favorite SKS for as much as you can get. Then save the money for when the current panic subsides and you can get an AR for a reasonable price. Those SKS's will do anything needed, from SD to hunting for food in the meantime.
Old December 29, 2012, 10:50 AM   #15
Hairbag

The rifle is not the issue its the expense feeding it. It has been my experience that AR's do not like cheap ammo. Lake city ammo is up to $1 per round as of now. Buy more 7.62x39 ammo for the sks if anything.
Old December 29, 2012, 11:59 AM   #16
farmboy

I like the idea of selling one to capitalize on the moment. That may be coming to a forum near you.

Hairbag's got it right. Holy Cow for expensive to shoot. (Or spend your precious time chasing brass, I guess.) I think I'll just load up on 7.62 x 39.
Old December 29, 2012, 02:56 PM   #17
ritepath

I only wish I could find the take off stock I bought a few years ago to replace my tapco stock with.
Old December 29, 2012, 05:29 PM   #18
Ignition Override

As somebody said, you might be 'buying high' now, then later 'selling low' if your interest wanders.

Have you tried out an SKS with the fully-adjustable Tech Sight?

A friend has a Colt AR which is about twenty years old, in excellent, almost mint condition (he almost never uses it).
Even though you could probably modify part of the trigger, I really dislike the Colt's original tight trigger, and never found the overall rifle to have anywhere near the appeal of Enfields, Garands etc.
Old December 30, 2012, 10:37 AM   #19
Pilot

Keep the SKS, buy an AR when all this blows over, and prices come back down.
Old December 30, 2012, 11:30 AM   #20
Average Joe

I have 3 SKS rifles, and shoot them often. I can load with stripper clips at a very fast pace, great rifles, and affordable. Now is not the time to get an AR, so just wait it out, unless you want to over spend for ammo and mags, as well as the AR itself...
Old December 30, 2012, 11:48 AM   #21
highpower3006

If you had no real interest in having an AR before the panic, why do you feel that you need one now? As has been stated, there is really nothing that an AR can do that your SKS can't do also. You should feel lucky (and maybe a bit smug), that you had the foresight to buy three of them and a thousand rounds before all this silliness ran the prices up.

I find it kind of funny that all the people that had no real interest in certain firearms, now just have to have them, and consequently have driven the prices up to stupid levels.

I have had an AR platform rifle for over twenty years now, and last year I decided that I wanted an M4gery to go with my NM A2. Boy, am glad that I didn't wait, I was able to build it for under $600. There is no way I would pay the prices they are getting for them today.

Last year I bought a new Serbian made AK47 for $500 with 750 rounds of Wolf 7.62X39 ammo. I wonder what I could get for that package today?
Old December 31, 2012, 09:40 AM   #22
stubbicatt

I guess I'm one of those guys who had no interest in 223/556 before the most recent election cycle. But I had thousands of rounds in the garage from days of yore, just sitting there, beckoning, and no rifle to shoot that stuff.

So I bought a SIG556 for just over $900, and a half dozen Pmags at $12 apiece. I don't really like the rifle all that much, but figure maybe it will grow on me if I continue to shoot it. Just did a trigger on it, so it has very little overtravel and lightning quick reset.

I thought maybe I would use it in 3 gun or similar sometime in the Spring. Sigh.

Maybe I'll just sell it and buy an M1A when the fever subsides.
Old January 1, 2013, 09:43 AM   #23
Garycw

Buy more SKS's

The AR15's are great guns I'm sure and look cool,but I have not gotten to them mostly because of price. I have however gotten into SKS's big time. My friend back in the late 80's urged me to check them out and get some when they were plentiful @ $80 a piece at gun stores. I did not listen
Now in the last two years I have six! I can't seem to stop buying them. They're all set up different, two are paratroopers, one Yugoslav sniper set up, & other various norinco's. two are stock & other four are flat out bad ass!! I had a seventh but traded for Nice moded AK47 under folder. Also have a AMD65 side folder. I've stuck with the 7.62x.39 and stocked up several thousand. I have a hard time bringing myself to sell them or any gun for that matter. I don't need anymore hard to find caliber's to try and find expensive ammo. I SAY BUY MORE SKS & AMMO!!
Old January 1, 2013, 01:04 PM   #24
Hairbag

I seem to be getting hooked on the sks too! Really if you think about it they still are the "$89" rifle from the 80's if you factor in inflation.
Old January 1, 2013, 05:53 PM   #25
Garycw

I seem to be getting hooked on the sks too! Really if you think about it they still are the "$89" rifle from the 80's if you factor in inflation.

Even in the 80's they were a fantastic deal! They are still a good deal at $300-400. Ive seen them go for a lot more too. People have discovered that they are a versatile ,reliable, accurate, easy to work on,inexpensive ammo, easy to customize & fun to shoot. The ak47 has a slight design advantage in the gas system IMO, but they're hard to beat. I've yet to ever sell one except for one AK trade.