The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 5, 2013, 11:24 PM   #1
kmherring911

New to reloading ammo need tips

Hey everyone,

I'm new to reloading, as well as this form. Buddy of mine referred me this form, so I have been looking at it for a day or two trying to figure it out. It's nice to see everybody trying to help everyone with tips/info. So if y'all would help me with a few things please. Like I said I'm new to reloading so my terminology may not be right so bare with me.

I bought a lee 50th anniversary reloading kit, everything works well expect I really don't like the way the powder measure works. But I am able to work with that for now. I am reloading 45 acp ammo and have fully reloaded about 30 shells with bullseye powder, 230 gr JHP, with once shot federal shells. Those shells actually take small pistol primers (using Winchester).

My main question is...according to Lyman 49th edition, using a 225 gr jacketed HP the OAL should be 1.243"..I made mine around 1.195 to 1.205 does that make a difference.. Also, again I'm using a 230 gr JHP..and I'm putting about 4.4 grands of powder in it. And so more info, I'm using RCBS 3-die carb set and they do fit my lee press..

Thanks to all!
Old May 6, 2013, 12:17 AM   #2
Wreck-n-Crew

We actually have a reloading section here http://thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Try there, probably find everything you want to know
Old May 6, 2013, 12:20 AM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmherring911
I bought a lee 50th anniversary reloading kit, everything works well expect I really don't like the way the powder measure works. But I am able to work with that for now.
You'll find good advice here (albeit this site does have a discussion area for reloading, which is where this thread probably belongs). But a lot of people love to hate Lee equipment. I use all Lee. A magnanimous individual (who is not affiliated with Lee) set up a forum specifically to discuss their products and using them. You may find it helpful.
http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/forums/

Quote:
I am reloading 45 acp ammo and have fully reloaded about 30 shells with bullseye powder, 230 gr JHP, with once shot federal shells. Those shells actually take small pistol primers (using Winchester).
Federal seems to have switched over to using all small pistol primers. Other makers have not. Winchester's uses small pistol primers in their environmentally-friendly 'NT' (for "Non-Toxic") cases. It's not the cases that are non-toxic, but what Winchester loads into them. Most Winchester .45 Auto brass still takes large pistol primers, as do most other ammo brands in .45 Auto.

Quote:
My main question is...according to Lyman 49th edition, using a 225 gr jacketed HP the OAL should be 1.243"..I made mine around 1.195 to 1.205 does that make a difference.. Also, again I'm using a 230 gr JHP..and I'm putting about 4.4 grands of powder in it.
The length absolutely makes a difference, but since you aren't using the bullet for which you have load data, there's no way to know what that difference is. What matters is how deep into the case the base (or body) of the bullet extends. More bullet inside the case means less case volume for powder, which means higher pressure when the powder burns.

If you don't have access to a chronograph, try to arrange for the use of one. Also, read up on how to inspect your fired cases for signs of over-pressure.

Try to find data specifically for the bullet you're loading. Not all 230-grain bullets are the same. The reloading guys on the M1911.ORG forum have been compiling a spreadsheet to document this. You can find that here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FE&hl=en#gid=0

The source of the data is from M1911.ORG: http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=77249
Old May 6, 2013, 02:15 PM   #4
kmherring911

Thanks a lot this info is very helpful!!
Old May 6, 2013, 02:33 PM   #5
fshfindr

Try this site. http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/index.aspx
Old May 6, 2013, 02:49 PM   #6
milito227

Yes it makes a difference.

Making your C.O.L. shorter will give you higher pressures. Be careful. Also why? usually longer col feeds better. Any how as an avid re-loader my best advice is stick with factory specs at first you'll do more harm than good! I speak from experience!
Old May 6, 2013, 05:20 PM   #7
histed

I agree - watch the COL - and not just for pressure. In a semi auto the bullet must be seated deep enough to allow the round to chamer properly. Too long and it can cause problems, too short and you get pressure problems AND feeding problems. Not always, but enough. Watch yor recipe closely - you can't mix and match. If your load calls for CCI primers USE CCI primers. If it says that 4.4 graind of powder XYZ is max, believe it! Welcome to the exciting world of 'roll yer own" - please visit the reloader section of the forum. Great bunch and loads of knowledge. BTW, Bullseye is OK in the .45ACP - I've used it often - but you might be happier with Unique if you can find it.
Old May 6, 2013, 08:02 PM   #8

I think you'll find that an OACL of 1.230" for a 230 gr. JHP will work very well in most .45 ACPs and that's what I use.
Old May 6, 2013, 08:58 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

I think COAL for 230 grain would be about 1.255". Too short a round can cause feeding problems and too long a one won't fit in the magazine.

Jim
Old May 6, 2013, 09:13 PM   #10
s4s4u

With my Kahr CW45 I had to shorten the OAL a bit because the ogive was contacting the lands and not allowing the slide to go into battery. The same shorter stuff cycles fine in my 1911's. Start at book for your bullet and go from there. If you go shorter, don't load max.
Old May 7, 2013, 04:53 PM   #11

James, 1.255" would be fine and is a fairly typical OACL for 230 gr. FMJ, but for 230 gr. JHPs, 1.230" is about as long an OACL that's recommended and using it with my handloads, I've never had any functioning issues.