The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 29, 2012, 08:37 AM   #51
Roland Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjksx1
what are E2 grips?
E2 Grips on a Sig 226:

Old December 29, 2012, 10:42 AM   #52
jason_iowa

Welcome to the club. Sig p220 is the finest combat pistol I have ever had the pleasure of using. Congrats man I hope it serves you well.
Old December 29, 2012, 11:42 AM   #53
dondavis3

Congratulations - the P220 is one of my best guns

Here's my P220 sitting on a P226 cleaning mat.

I absolutely love this gun

I'm sure you will too

Last edited by dondavis3; December 30, 2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old December 29, 2012, 05:33 PM   #54
rjksx1

E2 Grips on a Sig 226:

really nice.

still curious. anyone cc their p220 have ammo count anxiety?
Old December 29, 2012, 07:18 PM   #55
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjksx1 View Post
E2 Grips on a Sig 226:

really nice.

still curious. anyone cc their p220 have ammo count anxiety?
Lol. If you see my grouping with it and how I am with my SIG's under stress. You'd understand.

No I do not have ammo count anxiety.

Imagine the guys with LCP's or 5 shot revolvers. Those revolver guys can put those 5 rounds in a baseball sized group so fast it'll make your head spin.

That's all mental...if anything I'll carry a spare mag or two. But usually I'm good with just one.

Which brings me back to my original thread now.

I took the P220 out to the range again today. Long story short. The trigger pull (when the "promag" magazine is inserted) is way over 20 lbs in DA

In SA it's just fine....

Now I take the mag out after I drop in a snap cap. The DA pull is back to being my sweet prince it always was.

Mag in. Over 20lbs in DA.

Isn't that something? I'm glad I ordered an ACT mag like WVsig mentioned. If this one runs well, I'll buy 3 more at a time till I have 12.

Now, can someone explain to me how a magazine cause the DA pull to hideous like that?

Also. Thanks for the kind words everyone. You all also have gorgeous P220's!
Old December 29, 2012, 07:35 PM   #56
BGutzman

I cant say how the magazine effected trigger pull but those Promags aren't worth the plastic bag they come in.. I bought three for my little Bersa Thunder, all three were bad, springs so weak the ammo fell out of the mags... I've never seen anything like it, you'd think Promag was owned by Taurus or something...

(Yes, not so cheap shot at both because both hit me in the wallet in painful ways.)

Still that P220 should be as smooth as silk... My pull in DA feels to be around 12.5 lbs. or so and something around 3 or 4 in SA.

I'm hoping to buy a second one in 2014. 2013 has become by default the year of the Sig 716... (pending)

But in a wild guess to your question, I would suggest that the Promag is not in spec and is pushing on something causing the gun to have this issue.
Old December 29, 2012, 08:11 PM   #57
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
I cant say how the magazine effected trigger pull but those Promags aren't worth the plastic bag they come in.. I bought three for my little Bersa Thunder, all three were bad, springs so weak the ammo fell out of the mags... I've never seen anything like it, you'd think Promag was owned by Taurus or something...
Yeah...when I first shot it, days ago. It wasn't affecting the trigger pull. Just jamming on the last round because it's a crappy mag. After a complete detailed strip. The magazine is extremely hard to remove and insert. Doesn't lock the slide back. Now....the DA trigger. Beyond me...

Quote:
(Yes, not so cheap shot at both because both hit me in the wallet in painful ways.)
lol you and I both now. Taurai and ProMag.

Quote:
Still that P220 should be as smooth as silk... My pull in DA feels to be around 12.5 lbs. or so and something around 3 or 4 in SA.
Yeah...After this mag, I can't wait to try it out again. I had to just order it again. My credit card didn't go through. lol tough times?

Quote:
I'm hoping to buy a second one in 2014. 2013 has become by default the year of the Sig 716... (pending)
Long time brother...don't know anything about a 716. I'll Google it.

Quote:
But in a wild guess to your question, I would suggest that the Promag is not in spec and is pushing on something causing the gun to have this issue.
Agreed...Crazy. I'm so happy it's the mag though. I saw it with my own to eyes and felt it for myself. I was so nervous it was the gun. I almost flipped.

The other day the trigger wire on the right hand side and making a "thunk" noise. Like when you dry fire a Glock? Every time I'd fire it against my snap cap.

I took off that stupid Hogue grip and filed down the heck out of the plastic on the inside and good to go.

I ordered grips too. can't wait till they both come in.
Old December 30, 2012, 07:50 AM   #58
thedudeabides

I've had 4 P220s over the years (P245, alloy full size, steel full size, and match 5'') as well as various other Sigs.

Don't use anything but the factory mags. Just don't. Don't try to figure out why a crap mag causes a gun to malfunction, it's not worth the time or effort.

That's all the advice I can impart upon you.
Old December 30, 2012, 09:09 AM   #59
BGutzman

http://sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=1290

Sig 716 - just for reference and fun!
Old December 31, 2012, 02:42 AM   #60
10P8TRIOT

Congrats Constantine. I also acquired a P220 in the last couple weeks; a P220 Carry SAS Gen2 Single-Action Only. This is my 4th SIG, but my 1st 45 and my 1st SAO. I absolutely love this gun ... very accurate and a soft-shooter. I'm currently shopping for a concealed carry holster and plan on making it my winter EDC.

Old January 1, 2013, 10:10 AM   #61
Tactical Jackalope

Thanks guys

Dude, you're right. I'm calling SIG soon. Hope they're open!

B...wow....that's why you said so much time later. lol that thing is gorgeous and probably costs a pretty penny.

10 patriot! nice, like the SAS version.

I'm carrying the P226 till my magazines and grips get here. I miss carrying the P220 already.

I'll post a pic here once they're here and all that. I'll also post a few pics of me smashing a ProMag with a hammer. stay tuned.

Happy New Year brothers!!!!!!
Old January 3, 2013, 01:15 PM   #62
Tactical Jackalope

-___- new magazine is here. And my gun is still choking up on that DA pull when it is inserted. What. The. Heck.

EDIT:

I took it to a SIG gunsmith that's here locally.

I don't get why a magazine inserted would make the DA pull so much heavier but with no magazine inserted, it's just fine.

Maybe after I did a detailed strip and clean I put something on wrong? I don't know...

I took the right side of the grip off and with a snap cap in and an empty mag, dry fired it and the trigger bar was requiring so much strength to cock and drop the hammer.

Last edited by Tactical Jackalope; January 3, 2013 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old January 3, 2013, 05:20 PM   #63
Tactical Jackalope

Turns out it was user error from my detail strip. Which I've done on my P226 just as well.

Oh well...anyways, it was a bent spring apparently. And they took care of it. It's fine now.

I'm just waiting for the grips. Thing the seller sent it to the wrong address. Only thing different is the zip code on the tracking number. Darn...
Old January 3, 2013, 06:20 PM   #64
Tactical Jackalope

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357255098.473824.jpg

Nobody has time for your malfunctions and ill fittings promag. Nobody.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357255128.520551.jpg

My grips came in and the gun is way slimmer than it was with the hogue. I fired 50rds before I went home and I feel higher up on the bore axis.
Old January 5, 2013, 10:12 PM   #65
Marquezj16

Congrats on another great pistol.
Old January 19, 2013, 05:28 PM   #66
Tactical Jackalope

Hello all. So. We have another issue with my P220.

Trigger does not reset. Wonderful. Trigger bar seems fine. Spring wire seems fine. I see the grips bouncing up a bit when I dry fire with a snap cap in there. It stays like this...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358634334.082578.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358634376.688438.jpg

-.- my guns are falling apart before my eyes.

SIG Sauer 1911 XO - Custom Springfield MilSpec 1911 - Colt Gold Cup Trophy Model 1911 - Colt 70 Series 1911 - SIG Sauer P220 - SIG Sauer P226 E2 - Browning High-Power blue & stainless - Glock 17 - Glock 19 - Glock 21SF - Glock 22 - S&W Model 19 - H&k USP 40 - Remington Magnum 870 - Rock River AR-15 “Americans can no longer depend upon legislation to defend them from all who intend to do them harm.”
Old January 19, 2013, 05:32 PM   #67
Tactical Jackalope

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358634598.605943.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358634629.052406.jpg

Could it be cause its not too tight?

SIG Sauer 1911 XO - Custom Springfield MilSpec 1911 - Colt Gold Cup Trophy Model 1911 - Colt 70 Series 1911 - SIG Sauer P220 - SIG Sauer P226 E2 - Browning High-Power blue & stainless - Glock 17 - Glock 19 - Glock 21SF - Glock 22 - S&W Model 19 - H&k USP 40 - Remington Magnum 870 - Rock River AR-15 “Americans can no longer depend upon legislation to defend them from all who intend to do them harm.”
Old January 19, 2013, 06:04 PM   #68
Rinspeed

Quote:
-.- my guns are falling apart before my eyes.

Quit taking them apart if you don't know what you're doing.
Old January 19, 2013, 06:08 PM   #69
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Quit taking them apart if you don't know what you're doing.
That's the part the scares me! I do know what I'm doing. Or I wouldn't take them apart. :/

I leave my Glocks and 1911's alone for that very reason.

My SIG's? Eyes closed...

Maybe the inside of the grip is wrong? Defective? It's like something is in there smacking it outward every time I squeeze the trigger. Sometimes it fires well...sometimes it doesn't. Just now in a basic function test with snap caps, that wire wasn't hitting the inside of the grip.

Could the trigger bar be bent somehow? I don't know what else to think. -___-

The other thing that's wrong with another gun is my Glock gen 4. The extractor. Totally not my fault. lol but that's in another thread.
Old January 19, 2013, 06:14 PM   #70
Rinspeed

I was just busting your chops, if it works fine without the grips on you are using the wrong grips. If it doesn't work fine without the grips on your trigger return spring is broken.
Old January 19, 2013, 06:35 PM   #71
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
I was just busting your chops
I know I know!

Quote:
if it works fine without the grips on you are using the wrong grips. If it doesn't work fine without the grips on your trigger return spring is broken.
It was acting funny without the grips too. I pushed that return spring in a little deeper and it was better. Put the grips on and function tested and it's fine now...But they again, it was fine before that too and on the range it still did that during live rounds. So it's a little bipolar. It's going in the safe and off my waist band.

Funny, this CCW replaced my G19 for acting up. Now the 220 is acting up.

If I strap the Glock 17 on (it's on my 4 o'clock now) and something happens to it. I'm hexed.

Going to buy that trigger return spring/wire on topgunsupply.com and see what happens afterwards...

Actually..I'll wait and buy the whole spring kit. Think it's like $100 right? Better idea?
Old January 19, 2013, 06:45 PM   #72
wgsigs

Not sure, but is the top of the trigger bar spring installed in the correct place - the notch instead of the hole?

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...203#7880038203

I thought your problem might be the old-style spring without the coil in the middle of the spring, but there doesn't appear to be new style one for the P220.
Old January 19, 2013, 06:53 PM   #73
Tactical Jackalope

wgsigs - that's exactly how it is on my P226 that's made and assembled in the states.

This is a German made and USA assembled SIG P220. It has a different kind. :/

I wish it was that one. Way more tension to it...
Old January 19, 2013, 07:03 PM   #74
wgsigs

Did you page down to the last post in my link? It is of a P225, but the old-style spring is installed on the notch.
Old January 19, 2013, 07:31 PM   #75
Rinspeed

I guess I wasn't paying much attention. The spring does go in the notch and not the hole. I just pulled my grips to verify.