The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 22, 2012, 08:26 PM   #1
FLChinook

No apologies, I'm spending $$ for a scope - Tonight!

Leupold VX-3 4.5-14 x 50 ($660)
Nikon Monarch Gold 2.5x10 x 50 (side focus) ($719)
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 x 44 ($829)
Swarvoski Z3 4-12 x 50 ($922)

Here's my choices. I'm leaning toward the Nikon because it has a 30mm tube and I like that. But it has the lowest top magnification.

It's too late to start a voting progress because Opening Day is coming and I need to order (my Swarvoski is being boxed to be returned for service ).

Can anyone add a short comment on why I might order one over the other?

Thanks
Old October 22, 2012, 08:34 PM   #2
MrGoodwrench

Dont know much about the last 2 you listed but I own the first two and hands down, the Nikon is better glass. I can see better with less light through the Nikon than the Leupold and the focus seems to be more clear. Ive put 2k through the .308 wearing the Nikon and no problems yet. Never had any issues out of the Leupold either, just like the clarity better on the Nikon.
Old October 22, 2012, 08:34 PM   #3
Ridgerunner665

I can add that you should give a look towards a Vortex Viper HS scopes...same features, same quality...and a bit less expensive.

You can get a Viper HS 4-16x44 with side focus for ~$500....BDC reticle or fine plex....30mm tube, great glass, great warranty.

The "HS" series scopes are PST's built for hunters...not to be confused with the regular Viper line (which are great scopes too)...the "HS" scopes are built to use.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/183...-reticle-matte
Old October 22, 2012, 08:41 PM   #4
Ridgerunner665

Of the ones on your list though...the Zeiss.

Almost bought that one myself, but I bought the Vortex instead...
Old October 22, 2012, 09:56 PM   #5
FLChinook

Is side focus particularly useful? I kind of struggle to focus my conventional lens focus but I don't have to do it very often...
Old October 22, 2012, 10:39 PM   #6
Ridgerunner665

It is at longer ranges...but side focus isn't really about "focus" at all...its about parallax.

Why they decided to call it side focus is beyond me...it should be called parallax adjustment, because thats what it is.

When hunting at 200 yards or less...I leave my SF set to 150 yards and the magnification at no more than 6x....everything stays clear,but as the magnification goes up beyond 6x so does the need to set the SF to the proper distance.

The SF does change the focus of the scope some...but thats just a byproduct of it doing what its supposed to do, which is parallax correction.

If you need to adjust the SF...its a longer range shot, you should have time...especially once you get used to using it...it becomes 2nd nature.
Old October 22, 2012, 11:25 PM   #7
FLChinook

At the end of the day, I remembered the experience of an old friend of mine and his Evenrude outboard motor. He couldn't decide between a 6.5HP and a 9.5HP. We spend endless hours on his back porch making lists and comparing +s and -s; in the end, the plusses for the 6.5 won out and he bought one.

After using it for one day, he was sad and perplexed. "It just doesn't go fast enough", he said... In the end, the one parameter of power dwarfed all the other considerations.

I guess the difference between 10x and 14x top magnification is an issue "in the same boat"

So I just ordered the Zeiss. In just 3 days, I'll be back in business

PS. I actually ordered the 4.5-14 x 50 Reticle #4
Old October 23, 2012, 08:15 AM   #8
Zhillsauditor

Quote:
So I just ordered the Zeiss. In just 3 days, I'll be back in business
Zeiss has a $100 rebate on some of their conquest scopes right now (with their version of ballistic reticule). Getting SWFA to 110% price match the lowest price I could find plus the $100 rebate got me the scope for $647 delivered.

Here is the one I recently purchased:
http://swfa.com/Zeiss-45-14x44-Conqu...ope-P8671.aspx