The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 6, 2011, 12:58 PM   #1
damnmitjim

Please help!!! I have ??? on a 1906 mauser 98

I have a German Mauser 98. I was wondering what I have exactly. I know it has been turned into a sport rifle; new hardwood stock,blued, and a small aftermarket sight. The gun is very clean and all #s match through out gun except for stock. The markings on top say
"DEUTSCHE WAFFEN-UND, MUNITIONSFABRINKEN, BERLIN, 1906. Serial # 9535. All markings and# are very clear and easily readable ( if I knew German). On the side it has some stamps & GEM 98. I know it is an 8x57 and shoots very accurate. It was handed down to me and I was wondering what it is worth, and can I mount a scope that does not interfere with the safety and does not have to be drilled onto the barrel? Thanks for any help.
Old September 8, 2011, 10:58 PM   #2
tahoe2

with more info you can identify it through Robert Ball's - Mauser military rifles of the world. as for value that's a guessing game, depending on condition, markings etc... For mounting a scope check surplusrifle.com for a link to S&K or SK scout mount, which replaces the rear sight, no drilling and uses original bolt and safety, however an extended eye relief scope is required( some have used a high quality pistol scope). looking in the book it is possible you have a Naval G98. is there a six point star or flower above the writing; DWM Berlin 1906 ? and a crown in front of the serial number on the side?

Last edited by tahoe2; September 8, 2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old September 9, 2011, 10:49 AM   #3
carguychris

Quote:
It was handed down to me and I was wondering what it is worth...
Like the Remington 700 and Ruger 10/22, these rifles have a receiver and action that's sought after by custom builders, so there's essentially a price floor for an unmolested bolt and receiver even if the rest of the rifle is in truly horrid shape; these people don't care, they're throwing the rest away anyway! For the Mauser 98, that minimum price seems to be around $125-$200 depending on local market conditions.

As for the rest of the rifle, it depends on the quality of the mods. I've seen a handful of beautiful $1,000 sporterized Mausers that were almost indistinguishable from prized prewar Mauser sporting rifles, but I've also seen numerous awful garage hack jobs that go for $125-$200 (see above). It's impossible to put a value on your rifle without seeing the modifications. That said, most hover in the $200-$300 range. There are a lot more fair-to-mediocre ones than really nice ones.
Old September 9, 2011, 01:06 PM   #4
PetahW

FWIW, most sporterized military Mausers, with the original 8x57 bbl/chambering, will only bring "shooter" prices ($200-$300 tops) in the US.

Old September 9, 2011, 07:20 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Deutsche Waffen-und Munitionsfabriken (German Arms and Munitions Company) was the famous DWM, maker of not only Mauser rifles in the period up to 1918 but also the initial maker of the famous Luger pistol.

The marking on the side is an abbreviation for Gewehr (rifle) 1898, the WWI era long rifle. The Kar. (karabiner) 98 of WWII was a shortened and lightened version.

Jim
Old September 19, 2011, 01:10 AM   #6
tahoe2

firearms 053.jpgfirearms 053.jpgMy shooter is a Yugo 24/47 that was picked up for $100 bucks at a sporting goods store. A trigger, stock, safety, drilled & tapped, a weld bolt handle and a Pentax scope in Leupold rings & mounts. 1-1/2" to 2-1/2" @ 100yds, 2-1/2" to 4" @200yds with handloads 180 grn Nosler ballistic tips and Speer 200 grn spitzers. when I finally got all the cosmoline out of the barrel it looked brand new, the original military stock was brutalized so bad I just scrapped it and sporterized it. I also have a 98k and an M48 in full military dress Attachment 73902

Last edited by tahoe2; September 19, 2011 at 01:20 AM.