The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 2, 2012, 06:48 PM   #1
Joe_Pike

I'm Gifting Two S&W Model 36s This Evening

I have a '66-'67 RB model 36 and a '76-'77 SB model 36 that will go to new homes tonight. My mom and sister will be the recipients. Both of the guns are in excellent shape. I was going to give them each a 442, but I believe those would be a bit too snappy for both of them. At roughly 4 1/2 oz heavier than the 442s, the 36s should handle recoil a bit better. Sp101s would probably be a better choice, but I don't have two of the Rugers lying around.

Neither one can rack a slide well if at all, so, I thought a steel revolver with an external hammer might be closer to the ticket. I guess I'll let them decide who gets the RB and who gets the SB.
Old October 2, 2012, 07:40 PM   #2
tekarra

Well done Mr. Joe. I presume you have, or will, give them some instruction on shooting.
Old October 2, 2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Winchester_73

You're a better guy than me. If it came down to one of my guns or a family member, well hey....lol
Old October 2, 2012, 07:56 PM   #4
Obambulate

I think it's a wonderful gesture on your part. A steel revolver will be better for recoil and the J-frame is a good fit for small to medium hands.
Old October 3, 2012, 10:26 AM   #5
Joe_Pike

Quote:
You're a better guy than me. If it came down to one of my guns or a family member, well hey....lol
Well, the SB wasn't difficult to let go, but that RB with the Tyler T-grip didn't want to leave my hand.
Old October 3, 2012, 11:27 AM   #6
rodfac

You're a good man, Joe Pike...get 'em some practice with those S&W beauties, and make it double action, as that's how they'll probably need 'em. Well done, Senor. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; October 3, 2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old October 3, 2012, 01:35 PM   #7
PawPaw

Then there's that other situation where you find a nice snubby at a steal-it price and you bring it home. The wife, who just recently got her CCW permit, sees it and absconds with it. In my case, it was a pinned Model 38, nickel, with Herrett grips. It rides in her purse now. Just darn.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old October 3, 2012, 04:11 PM   #8
BigJimP

You're a good man....sharing your excess inventory to family members..

I might add that - while I have gifted a few guns as well - to adult kids in my family ( I have also told them, that if for some reason down the road - you don't want them - or need some money and want to sell or trade them for something else....at least give me the chance to buy them back at a fair price / they don't have to give them back - they were gifts to them ) ...but I'd be angry if they turned around and sold some of them without tellling me ...or at least give me an option to say no thanks.
Old October 3, 2012, 10:31 PM   #9
rodfac

BigJimP...good points there in your 2nd paragraph...I've done the same with my sons and daughters-in-law. Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old October 4, 2012, 12:53 AM   #10
FloridaVeteran

BigJimP - ditto Rodfac - I am old and have begun to pass on my guns (mostly the classic ones) to my sons and sons-in-law, stipulating that certain of them must remain within the family as heirlooms. The ones that I bought new, I don't put restrictions on but the ones that were passed on down to me, I want to stay in the family forever, if possible.

It is an odd state of life, I have to admit. When my dad gave me the family guns, those were important moments but didn't seem quite as sentimental as now. That might well have been because at the time I was the recipient, not the passer-downer.

Most women do not understand this. I suppose that if dogs lived to be 200 and you could pass down your blue-tick hound, women might have a better understanding of guns as Individual Things of Great Importance.
Old October 4, 2012, 05:39 PM   #11
Shadi Khalil

Wow giving someone a gun is one thing but nice, old S&W's is another. Very good on you, sir.
Old October 5, 2012, 08:13 AM   #12
aarondhgraham

Good on you,,,

May good Gun Karma find it's way to you.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)