The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 24, 2011, 02:27 PM   #1
squeezeplae

1906 22 WRF feed

I went out shooting recently and took along a 22wrf i had inherited from my grandfather. I loaded about 5 rounds in the feed tube , and found that the action would not feed to the chamber. Does anyone know what would be common reasons for this problem? I have the complete take down manual so fixing shouldn't be a problem.
Old April 24, 2011, 03:49 PM   #2
Don H

What ammo did you use?
Old April 24, 2011, 04:10 PM   #3
squeezeplae

ammo used

I used 22 wrf winchester. I loaded the tube and slid the pump action the carrier wouldn't feed to the breech. It wouldn't even take the round out of the tube. I didnt take any chances and packed it up until the issue is resolved.
Old April 24, 2011, 09:23 PM   #4
hunter52

I didn't know they made the 1906 in 22 WRF. I always thought it was s,l,lr only
Old April 24, 2011, 09:26 PM   #5
hunter52

problems with slide actions could be the cartridge stop is broke or hung up,or it could be in the inner magazine tube like the spring is hung up or the tube is dented
Old April 25, 2011, 03:31 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

I have one of these that had that same problem. I found a short spacer made of wood stuck in the carrier apparently by someone shooting .22 LR in it. Doesn't seem to have hurt the gun, but the heeled LR bullets tend to expand and jam in the throat just enough to raise pressure to the point of piercing the rim, so I recommend against that substitution. The rim has no surround in mine.

Anyway, take it down and look for something that stops the cartridge going all the way to the rear of the carrier.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 3, 2011, 08:45 PM   #7
squeezeplae

took down the rifle

i took down the rifle and found a burr at the end of the tube chamber.I took a round file andremoved the burr. the rifle still will not feed the ammo. The carrier doesnt seem to remove the round and carry it up to the breech. While i had the rifle taken down i tried to put a round in the carrier and found it was a very tight fit. Is this fixable without trying to replace the carrier (good luck) or is this now a wall hanger.
Old May 4, 2011, 09:34 AM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

That's odd. Have you removed the carrier from the action to see if a cartridge will drop into it then? If so, then it's the alignment of the carrier with the magazine that's the problem. Dirt or debris could cause that by preventing it from setting down as low as it is supposed to, but you'll have to look and see what stops it and where. It's not uncommon to find lead or even occasional brass shavings in rimfires. If the cartridge fit is tight, then the carrier's picked up a burr of its own and you need to identify it and file or wet/dry it off. A little Magic Marker on the cartridge case will show where it rubs.

All the rimfires have a maximum case head diameter of 0.278". Chamber rim recesses that set the headspace have a minimum of 0.288" and a maximum of 0.290". A 9/32 drill is 0.2813", so I'd expect its shank to be able to drop into the carrier freely or its cutting end to be able to turn freely. If the shank is a little undersize (not uncommon) then try a letter L drill (0.290") with an equally undersize shank. If it's tight, perhaps a little lapping compound and some back and forth with the drill bit shank would fix that for you.

Last edited by Unclenick; May 4, 2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old May 4, 2011, 12:10 PM   #9
gunplumber

You might also check the lifter sp. I have had to replace those time to time.
Old May 4, 2011, 12:54 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hunter52 is correct; the Model 1906 was not made in .22 WRF. If you are trying to fire .22 WRF in it, the cartridge is too big for the carrier. Note that the 1906 was made for .22 Short, Long, OR Long Rifle. OR, not AND. The carriers are different for each caliber.

Jim
Old May 4, 2011, 04:58 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

I thought my .22 WRF was a 1906, but I was remembering wrong (lot's more of that these days). That's just one of the patent years stamped on the barrel. Mine's a model 90.

Squeezeplae,

Look on the barrel to double-check what you're dealing with. The chambering will be stamped on the barrel. So will the patent months and years and so will the model number just to be sure all the i's are dotted and the t's crossed.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:02 PM   #12
squeezeplae

ok info on the rifle as follows:top of barrel behind rear site .22 wrf ,manufacturers stamp in front of rear site as follows; manufactured by the Winchester repeating arms company new haven conn. USA patent june 26,88 dec 6 ,92. Ser #behind trigger 248***. I have taken this rifle down and given it a thorough cleaning and oiling. it still will not feed the ammo.please continue any suggestions. I will do it again and check for obstructions in the carrier thanks again for all the help. My trigger finger is itching to see how the old girl does.
Old May 17, 2011, 02:05 PM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

It still sounds like you have a Model 1890 in .22 WRF with a regular .22 carrier. It is possible that the original carrier was damaged or worn and replaced with the wrong kind in error, but more likely the owner changed the carrier so the gun would fire regular .22 after .22 WRF became impossible to find. You might be able to find a .22 WRF carrier, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

Jim
Old May 17, 2011, 05:34 PM   #14
Unclenick
Staff

Squeezeplae,

Mine has "-MOD. 90-" stamped next to the patent dates just ahead of the rear sight position on the left side. Mine's a later model with notched receiver, and I don't know if they failed to stamp the model on earlier versions or not. Mine actually has a large number of patent dates listed up until just before WW I. Since yours has just the one patent date, I'm thinking it's a pretty early one.

If Jim is right that you have a replacement .22 LR carrier, it should simply be short inside. It should be possible for a machinist to bore it for .22 WRF. I would consider that desirable to do with a .22 WRF chamber, as I found many years ago that .22 LR's not only aren't very accurate in it, and they tend to pierce rims.

Last edited by Unclenick; May 18, 2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:03 AM   #15
squeezeplae

By jove I think youv'e done it

After going through the rifle for a third time I measure the round opening in the carrier and found the carrier had a tapered slot for the round.The opening at the breach was smaller than the rear. The carrier must have been dropped at one time and closed the opening just enough to keep from feeding the ammo. Thanks for all the help and suggestions you guys are great. I am going out this weekend and going to take the ole girl along.
Old August 28, 2011, 12:52 PM   #16
squeezeplae

update22wrf

Yesterday I took the 22wrf out for a test run to see if she operates properly.( I couldnt get out earlier they had me working a lot.) The ammo fed perfectly into the breach,but when I tried to reload the shell casing was hard to get out of the breach. The first two rounds came out with a little bit of muscle,but the third I had to use a pair of needle nose pliers to get it out.I checked to make sure i had the right ammo, took a round and hand loaded the breach, i closed the action to see if it was seating and locking properly. I reopened the action and the round eject as it should. So i am thinking the casing is expanding beyond the tolerance of the breach. If this is the case is there any way to fix it. Ah so close to being able to sight it in.
Old August 28, 2011, 02:04 PM   #17
James K
Member In Memoriam

Many of those old guns, especially ones that have been fired with cartridges shorter (or smaller) than the chamber have eroded areas at the front of the chamber. A proper case expands into that area and is difficult to extract. I know of no good solution except to have the barrel lined to .22 LR, which would destroy the collector value. THe best solution might just be to give the old timer an honorable retirement.

Jim
Old August 28, 2011, 02:48 PM   #18
Unclenick
Staff

But, it could also be a build-up of lead at the end of the chamber that the longer case fits into then expands to fit the lead lump profile. In that case it just needs someone with an Outer's Foul Out or some Wipe Out No-Lead to get in there and get it truly clean.

Can you get a clear close-up picture of a fired and extracted long case? Scuff marks should show whether you have erosion damage or a fouling accumulation. So will calipers. Measure the diameter of the fired case from the mouth down half its length in very small steps. If length near the mouth is is wider than the middle, you have the erosion problem, but if it's narrower, you have fouling accumulation.
Old December 28, 2012, 02:47 PM   #19
Elker_43

This may have already been answered, so I will add another twist to this.....
The receiver section (connected to the barrel which reads 22 wrf) may have been connected to a trigger section (found by the indication of "mismatched" serial #'s) that is a 22s, 22L, or 22LR . This may be the reason the 22wrf is not feeding correctly or causing the operator to think there is a proble.....There may be no probem other than the swapped sections. This is a common situation with the 1890's in many cases. Use the correct round that works in the carrier and you have the situation figured out.