The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 8, 2013, 02:37 AM   #1
ks_wayward_son

When was your last visit to the range?

Ammunition has been pretty scarce to come for several months (however it does seem things are looking up recently ). I have tried to utilize discipline to save ammo when I'll have a better stockpile, and slowly I've been able to accumulate my major calibers (i.e. 9mm, .223, and .45 ACP). Perhaps I've gone overboard on this "discipline" thing as the last time I've put rounds downrange was last December. Shocking, yes? Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else has waited thus long too. I'm still waiting until my supply is greater, and right now I'm fine with that. One thousand rounds each of 9mm and .45 acp is my stockpile goal, and I haven't really decided on the 5.56/.223 goal yet. Twenty-two long rifle is an entire beast in its own right when discussing the conserving of ammunition, in my opinion.
Old November 8, 2013, 03:06 AM   #2
JimmyR

Quote:
Ammunition has been pretty scarce to come for several months (however it does seem things are looking up recently ). I have tried to utilize discipline to save ammo when I'll have a better stockpile, and slowly I've been able to accumulate my major calibers (i.e. 9mm, .223, and .45 ACP). Perhaps I've gone overboard on this "discipline" thing as the last time I've put rounds downrange was last December. Shocking, yes? Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else has waited thus long too. I'm still waiting until my supply is greater, and right now I'm fine with that. One thousand rounds each of 9mm and .45 acp is my stockpile goal, and I haven't really decided on the 5.56/.223 goal yet. Twenty-two long rifle is an entire beast in its own right when discussing the conserving of ammunition, in my opinion.
Personally, I think you are working backwards. Saving what you have is all well and good, but trying to build a desired SURPLUS when supply is DOWN is counter-productive. The purpose of a surplus is to give you enough to survive a decline in available resources. Hoarding ammo until you have your stockpile where you want it means you aren't enjoying it, which you openly admit you haven't in over 10 months. My suggestion would be do buy ammo when you can, but shoot about half of what you buy. If you buy 200 rds of 9mm, set 100 rds for the stockpile, and 100 for range use.

Further, ammunition is worth nothing in a gun that is out of repair, or in the hands of someone who is unable to use it well. The best time to find mechanical problems in a firearm is when your target is a piece of paper, not a threat to you life. Further, skills require practice, and I wonder what practive you have gotten with no lead down range in 10 months.

Just my humble opinion...

Last edited by JimmyR; November 8, 2013 at 03:11 AM.
Old November 8, 2013, 04:22 AM   #3
Brotherbadger

Honestly, i haven't been to the range since June. Combination of lots of OT work and lack of ammo in the area has really limited my shooting.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old November 8, 2013, 04:51 AM   #4
CWKahrFan

Yesterday. Outdoors. Perfect weather and temperature. Many 9mm holes in paper.
Old November 8, 2013, 05:02 AM   #5
NWPilgrim

Last Friday with one daughter and grandson. Shot up a bunch of .22lr, 9mm, .30 Carbine and .38 Special. It was a sunny and crisp autumn day. Perfect.

Going again later today with other daughter and her husband to shoot her new G19 and Rem 870, and AR15s, marlin 1894 and S&W M29 and the 10/22. Expecting cold rain and maybe snow.

We both stock a good amount of ammo and components so even now we shoot as much as we want.
Old November 8, 2013, 05:16 AM   #6
Waspinator

A week ago. I used up the remaining target ammo I had for my carry gun. I blasted off the last 50 rounds of .38 and the last 30 rounds of .357 I had in my safe.

Next day I was online buying a bulk order of .38 FMJ target ammo (1,000 rounds). It will come in on Monday ( a little delay, due to the new CT laws about ammo.. had to do some extra stuff to have it shipped here.). I usually go through about 100 rounds per range session.. it just works out that way, lol. So, I figure I got almost a year's supply coming.
Old November 8, 2013, 06:06 AM   #7
steveno

yesterday at the range it was a nice and balmy 28 degrees. at least the wind wasn't blowing
Old November 8, 2013, 06:50 AM   #8
4runnerman

Last week Sat and Sun. Have all rounds loaded and ready to shoot Sat and Sun this week again. I have found the number of guns I am bringing is less now. I only bring 3 at a time now. We have a range that is no access to cars inside the fence. So walking 300 to 600 yards 4 or 5 times to change target gets to be a doing. I will shoot every weekend till the snow stops me. They do not plow the road in winter.
Old November 8, 2013, 07:16 AM   #9
Mobuck

Range in my backyard. Shoot if/when I feel like it. I will admit to shooting less often but some of that may be just so much prep work before cold weather hits. Got a week until rifle deer season so will burn some ammo to get tuned up.
Old November 8, 2013, 07:40 AM   #10
ranchito457

This past monday was the last time I was at the range.I haven't lost a week since all this began.The only thing I do different now is I can't be as picky about components(powder-primers-bullet weight and such).Besides that the only thing I haven't shot in a couple of months is any rim fire ammo.I'll be back on the range again in a couple of hours.I love to shoot for me it's relaxing I couldn't imagine going 10 months without a trip to the range-But thats just me...
Old November 8, 2013, 07:58 AM   #11
skoro

About three weeks ago. I'll go again next week. Current work schedule makes it a little difficult.
Old November 8, 2013, 08:57 AM   #12
j3ffr0

I last went in March. The ammo isn't keeping me away, but life has been. Just too busy. I've got a couple thousand rounds of mini-mags when I get time to shoot some of it.

I'm really eager to get back.
Old November 8, 2013, 09:05 AM   #13
KMAX

I went twice this week, Monday and yesterday (Thursday). I haven't been going a lot for the past several months, but at least once a month. My stock is enough and supply is available enough that I have been able to replace what I shoot. Besides, I gotta shoot!

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old November 8, 2013, 10:01 AM   #14
adrians

Quote:
Range in my backyard. Shoot if/when I feel like it. I will admit to shooting less often but some of that may be just so much prep work before cold weather hits. Got a week until rifle deer season so will burn some ammo to get tuned up.
That's me , I do my own casting and reloading so ammo isn't that hard to come by , but still don't shoot as much as I would like or used to.

i'll be out today making last minute "adjustments" to my rifles ( wife thinks i'm having too much fun, but hey!!!! it's gotta be done==== right ?).

Deer season opens tomorrow
Old November 8, 2013, 10:04 AM   #15
jonnyc

Every Sunday, like clockwork.
Old November 8, 2013, 10:33 AM   #16
2ndsojourn

About 4 months ago. To test the Sig I bought for my gf's birthday.

I don't reload. Yet. So if I can't stop by the local Dick's, cop shop or LGS and pick up a couple boxes of ammo on the way to the range, I just don't go.
Old November 8, 2013, 10:37 AM   #17
rebs

Wednesday I went and shot at the range. I reload my own ammo and have plenty of power, primers and bullets. The local gun shop has been lucky in having most reloading supplies in stock. They may not have the CCI primers that I want but they will have other brand primers, same for powder.
Things are looking better
Old November 8, 2013, 10:51 AM   #18
TailGator

I am sorry to say I have not been to the range since July. I have ammo on hand, but work and family obligations have kept me from going. It seems like every time I pencil in a range trip somebody gets sick (elderly parents and MIL) or there is an emergency at work, or some other crisis arises. (Several of the latter have arisen from my daughter and son-in-law's decision to buy a fixer-upper house.) It is penciled in again for tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Old November 8, 2013, 10:53 AM   #19
YARDDOG(1)

About 3 weeks ago,, Now that my freezer is full of deer meat I can hit it at a weekly date ; )
Y/D
Old November 8, 2013, 11:06 AM   #20
g.willikers

Once upon a time, it was a rare week that passed without there being a match, training session, or semi-organized practice to attend.
But thanks to getting older and the realistic practice available from modern air guns, the trips to a range are becoming rare.
Just a few each year, and only during the best weather.
And that seems to suffice quite nicely.
Saves a heap on ammo, range fees and gas, too.
And lunch is better at home.
Old November 8, 2013, 11:19 AM   #21
Dondor

Wednesday. 50 rounds of 40, 50 of 357 and a few hundred 22.

I try to go every Wednesday that I am off due to the lunch there being BBQ beef brisket )
Old November 8, 2013, 11:31 AM   #22
JNad

Even with the shortage, i go to the range a minimum of once a month.

I have burned through way to much of my cushion, in terms of surplus ammo, but as others have said, none of it does me any good if I am not proficient with it.

What I have implimented is that every single time I go to the range, I go with a plan. I know what skill I am going to focus on, and exactly how many rounds I plan to expend. If I am not getting the results I want, and I am at the end of my "game plan", I still pack up and go home.

I do a LOT more dry fire practice (and I did a fair amount before), and I have one of those Laserlyte trainers (I didn't get the target). I also have a BB firing replica of my carry gun, and I practice moving and shooting in the garage with it. Using all of those tools more, means I stay just as proficient without burning as much ammo. Frankly, I think I will carry this plan through after the shortage is over - who knows, maybe I will save enough to buy another gun
Old November 8, 2013, 11:46 AM   #23
Dunecigar

American citizen living in Guatemala City, Guatemala, Central America:

I go once a month, on a regular basis. I put one box through each of my three handguns so as to reach the initial 500 rounds. The DP-51 just hit its 8th box last Sunday.
Old November 8, 2013, 11:54 AM   #24
Slowhand

Range Tripa

My last range trip was 11-01-12 It was raining cats and dogs South Carolina. So no long walks or fishing trips at the lake. So I packed up the Ruger LC9 and a Beretta PX4 Storm. I wanted to see how the Ruger faired in comparison to the Beretta. I also packed up a Colt Walther Government 1911 22 LR.

I put 50 rounds through the Beretta and it’s a great shooting pistol. I ran 50 more through the Ruger LC9. The Beretta handles better overall and recoil is better managed than the LC9. But for concealed carry the Ruger LC9 is a better tool.

I put 60 rounds of 22LR down range with the Colt Walther and it’s a rather accurate weapon that could become a real habit forming range gun. It’s made solid, handles great and is a piece of work.

I stocked up on ammunition before the last presidential election results were in. I’d been through the last drought and figured it was going to be rough. I bought some old green military boxes and added to the stash.

But when Feinstein and the gun grabbers started trying to bring back the Federal Assault Weapons Ban of 1994 it was bad enough. We gun owners had better stick together and stand our ground.
Old November 8, 2013, 11:59 AM   #25
RickB

I used to go to the range every Friday evening, and every Sunday, plus one Saturday a month. That was my routine for a number of years. Then I got married, bought a house, etc., and now, ten years later, I go to the range once or twice a month. I hope, when the kids are out of school, that I'll go back to more range trips. I was last at the range on October 19th, and will go again on November 16th.