The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 2, 2010, 03:45 PM   #1
Dave R

Size 8 Shot for Quail?

I have been enjoying Quail season, using 7.5 shot. Birds I shoot close are pretty beat up. Local store had size 8 for less...

Is 8 too small for quail? Too small for longer shots? I would think the patterns would be a bit denser...
Old October 2, 2010, 04:04 PM   #2
Cowboy_mo

size 8 shot is what I was taught to hunt quail with many many years ago. Dad & Grampa always used 8's for qual and 6's for squirrels/rabbits. When we started reloading and didn't want to keep two diffent sizes of shot around, we switched to 7.5's for everything.

As you said, a really close shot on quail is pretty hard on them with 7.5's.
Old October 2, 2010, 05:01 PM   #3
Scorch

Yes, 8 shot will work fine for quail.

Even with 8s, a close shot will mess them up pretty well. I finally learned to let them get a little farther away.
Old October 2, 2010, 05:23 PM   #4
zippy13

If you're really messing up the little guys, try 8s and/or a lighter load or smaller gun. In some environments (small birds close-in), a 20 or 28-ga Skeet gun with #9 target loads works fine.
Old October 2, 2010, 05:40 PM   #5
roy reali

Bigger Shot

Wouldn't larger shot mean more hits on a bird and thus more damage? Wouldn't larger shot do the opposite? I am curious.

You could also switch to a Taurus Judge, then even fewer pellets will the quail thus preserving more edible meat.
Old October 2, 2010, 06:11 PM   #6
zippy13

Hey Roy,
I suspect if you're wing shooting with a Tauras Judge, your main course is going to be Sky Pie.
Old October 3, 2010, 03:20 PM   #7
Dave R

Quote:
Wouldn't larger shot mean more hits on a bird and thus more damage? Wouldn't larger shot do the opposite? I am curious.
You have it backwards. Larger number (size 8 va. size 6) means smaller pellets. So size 8 is smaller pellets than 7.5. Smaller pellets mean (many) more of them in the shell. So patterns tend be denser, and more pellets tend to hit a bird. But since they are smaller, each pellet has less energy, and each pellet penetrates less.

So I was asking if size 8 is too small for quail. Opinions say no.
Old October 3, 2010, 04:44 PM   #8
oneounceload

8's are fine, but you'll have more pellets to clean out - use a more open choke and let them get a little further away
Old October 3, 2010, 05:01 PM   #9
zippy13

Quote:
8's are fine, but you'll have more pellets to clean out - use a more open choke and let them get a little further away
Come on now, my friend, that's advice for the sky shootin' newbies. If you don't wanna pick pellets, just take 'em up close with head shots.
Old October 3, 2010, 05:06 PM   #10
ammo.crafter

qual

Are you using a 12ga? If so, a lot of gun for a small creature. Try 20ga with 3/4 oz load and an open choke. That should do the trick. Don't really think 7 1/2 v 8 is going to make a great difference.
Old October 3, 2010, 05:27 PM   #11
oneounceload

Now Zipster....of COURSE I only take and make head shots............

r i g h t.....................

I like a nice light load - 3/4 oz., in 20 gauge of 7-1/2 - work well for preserve birds with SK/IC chokes
Old October 3, 2010, 06:16 PM   #12
zippy13

American clay target sports were first developed to sharpen the skills of wing shooters, and more specifically upland hunters. So, when it comes to selecting ammo for shooting upland birds (the ones approximately the size of clay targets), it should be no surprise that target loads perform well. When it comes to dove and quail, most clay shooters don't have to think twice about selecting ammo -- they just grab an assortment target loads in 7-1/2s to 9s in various gauges and head out. When they get to the where the birds are, then then make their gun/ammo selection based on the current conditions.
Quote:
Local store had size 8 for less…
Some of the newer shooters may not be aware that not all shot shells are created equally. Those discount "field" and "dove and quail" loads may be attractively priced, but you need to know what you're getting. The quality of the shot and other components may be significantly inferior to those used in premium loads. I've seen discount loads opened up and the shot wasn't as uniform as reclaimed (the pre-shot stuff the gun club recycles). When you look at all the costs involved in a hunting trip, trying to save a few dollars in ammo costs is being penny wise and pound foolish. I much prefer quality reloads to discount hunting loads. And, for the cost conscious, the reloads are cheaper.
Old October 3, 2010, 08:09 PM   #13
clemsonbloz

I always liked 9 shot for quail.. Short shots, maxium pellets..

9's are hard to find in budget shells.. 8's are good and popular in the 100 shell packs..
Old October 3, 2010, 08:11 PM   #14
LSnSC

Less choke and let them get a little farther out. Smaller shot will only make the pattern more dense, resulting in more pellet strikes and even more damage. For wild birds I like 7/8 of an oz of 7.5s out of 12 or 20. For preserve birds I like 7.5's out of a .410. Sometimes less is more.
Old October 3, 2010, 10:51 PM   #15
Dave R

Yes, I use a 12ge. So my 1 1/8oz loads are too much shot? I should downgrade to 1 oz or 7/8oz? Makes sense. I'm not gonna buy a new 20ga for this season.
Old October 4, 2010, 02:12 AM   #16
Win1200

i use 8 shot with cyl. bore in my 12 ga when hunting quail.
Old October 4, 2010, 05:48 AM   #17
ammo.crafter

quail

Yup; 7/8 with an open choke should work well with your 12ga.