Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 27, 2008, 12:21 AM   #26
CARGUY2244

Best 223

fs 2000. case closed.
Old December 27, 2008, 12:41 AM   #27
Crosshair

Quote:
If you aren't a yuppie buy used. Will save you some money and unless there is rust it is hard to damage a rifle in a way that affects it performance. You will get worn blue, stock dents, etc, but the gun will still shoot great.
Depends on where you live. Where I live, used 223s are hard to find. All that is generally available on the used rack are old and overpriced Mini-14s.
Old December 27, 2008, 01:07 AM   #28
Swampghost

Does everybody here buy new rifles?

Do some homework and go to gun shows or FTF, that's how I've done it for 40 yrs.

I had to buy Ol#1 a new .22LR just because that's the way that she was. I bought Mom a new S&W Mod. 29 when she was threatened by Cubans in her front yard. Personally, I've never bought anything new for myself.

I did put in a write in on Weatherby's site even thought the high falutin' wanted a video, like I can afford a vid. cam. I'm down to min. ammo and it needs to go for food.
Old December 27, 2008, 01:57 AM   #29
dmozer

I agree with the knife guy. $625 will buy you just a hair over 201 knives. Way more fun than a .223!
Old December 27, 2008, 01:57 PM   #30
Crosshair

Quote:
Do some homework and go to gun shows or FTF, that's how I've done it for 40 yrs.
Last time I went to a gunshow, me and the other gun owners who rented tables bought/sold all the cheap guns before it even opened. Scored a nice Siaga .223 for $225. My friend sold his Savage 22 and I sold some scopes. Most of my stuff was sold before the public was let in the door.

Tags
rifle