The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 16, 2006, 12:23 AM   #1
Mark54g

How will this

change engagements between people on the streets?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lNRFdwHeD0s

Do you think something similar is "coming soon" in the civilian world?
Old October 16, 2006, 02:23 AM   #2
Axion

Wow that is pretty cool stuff. I'm in a polymers and composites class rigt now and one of the things we talked about are dilatent fluids, which is exactly what that treatment is. Dilatent fluids are ones where the viscosity increases with shear rate. For a simple and surprisingly entertaining example mix corn starch and water
Old October 16, 2006, 05:36 AM   #3
Bud Helms

What'd he say? ... "I don't remember one time when I was leaving the base that I felt 100% safe." Even though that is in quotation marks, I'm not sure if that is an exact word-for-word quote from the soldier in that video. With that disclaimer ...

Are we trying to develop personal armor that will make a soldier feel 100% safe? 'Think we'll ever get there? It looks like this is a great step forward, depending on test results, but 100% safe? As a goal for the technology I support it, but as an expectation from a ground troop, I see a problem.

By the way, this was announced a few months ago.
Old October 16, 2006, 07:35 AM   #4
Mark54g

I did not think it was a totally new concept. I also think that if you feel 100% safe in combat, perhaps a psych eval is in order. Even if this thing can stop 98% of rifle/pistol fire, a 40mm grenade lands in your lap and its going to be a rough weekend. I also believe that any small armored vehicle will also knock the "fun" out of war.
Old October 16, 2006, 10:17 AM   #5
OneInTheChamber

Them 40mm HE rounds really have a way of ruining one's day. I wonder how heavy the suits are.
Old October 16, 2006, 10:51 AM   #6
Samurai

The well-trained and grounded soldiers are never going to feel 100% safe. But it's still the job of the scientists to try to MAKE them feel 100% safe.

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...
Old October 16, 2006, 05:04 PM   #7
Bud Helms

Actually, feeling 100% safe in a combat situation is a state of mind I would consider inherently unsafe ... to yourself and to your comrades.
Old October 16, 2006, 05:25 PM   #8
stephen426

It seems like the material will be used as clothing without any layers of protection behind it. While the fabric may prevent the bullet from penetrating, what will be used to absorb the energy of the round? I think the bullet would still enter the body, with the fiber, unless there was some material to absorb the impact. Think of a punching bag. You can beat the stuffing out of it but the bag doe not break. If your body was the punching bag, you would still be seriously injured or killed.

I'm all for finding better ways to protect our troops, but I don't think this will cut it.
Old October 16, 2006, 10:24 PM   #9
Blackwater OPS

Quote:
Actually, feeling 100% safe in a combat situation is a state of mind I would consider inherently unsafe ... to yourself and to your comrades.
Agree 100%.

In most situations I would rather have better range of motion to MOVE, then a 30-50 pound suit of armor. That said, this seems to be a good compromise, but so was dragon skin before the Army pulled a BOHICA on it. As far as interactions on the street, if this suff ever gets developed into street clothes that can take a rifle round, I imagine more people will aim for the head .
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old October 17, 2006, 12:43 AM   #10
Recon7

I'm with 426.
that sheet of fabric moved a whole lot when it was shot by what looked like a pistol round. so does that mean you just get a broken leg instead or a regular gunshot wound? I can see it now, here wear these 20 lb pants, they'll slow you down and when you get shot, your leg will break, and you will be harder to carry out of the battlefield due to the added weight of your pants. I don't see this technology expanding the coverage of body armor. hopefully it can make body armor lighter and more comfortable. here's an idea ballistic boonie caps.
Old October 17, 2006, 01:02 AM   #11
stephen426

Quote:
I can see it now, here wear these 20 lb pants, they'll slow you down and when you get shot, your leg will break, and you will be harder to carry out of the battlefield due to the added weight of your pants.
They'll just have to carry you out nekkid!