The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 24, 2000, 08:33 PM   #1
fubsy

George,
I just picked up an older browning pockett pistol in .380, the frame is in excellent shape and the grips are the best Ive ever seen.....but the slide looks rough. The slide has surface rust on it and it cover the majority of the slide. Do you know if browning re-conditions old browning firearms?....tks for the time, I realize its a little strange...tks George...fubsy.
Old February 24, 2000, 10:52 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Fusby, if they don't me and about every gunsmith shop in America do. In looking at their services site on their webpage it would appear that they don't do a lot themselves on out of production guns. They do list several "Authorized" addresses. If you want to check it out go to http://www.browning.com/services/obsolete/obsolete.htm. George
Old February 25, 2000, 06:21 PM   #3
fubsy

George, I understand that most gunsmiths do, its just i have been under the impression for a while that the type of finish on these older pistols isnt done any more,,,,its not blueing, that could be just my ignorance showing. I was concernedwith having the lettering blurred, and I dont know if browning can or would or if its even possible to reroll the lettering....that was my reasons behind the query...tks george...fubsy.
Old February 25, 2000, 10:10 PM   #4
Alex Johnson

Hi Guys,

Doug Turnbull would probably be able to help you on that pistol of yours. I don't know what finishes Browning would have used on these early pistols, but Turnbull has a variety of finishes that he uses and probably one of them would be correct. They will do complete restorations, or they will simply finish pre-polished parts that you provide. Turnbull provides a short VHS tape on metal preperation and if you plan on doing your own polishing job it would be good to get hold of this tape.

Alex Johnson
Old February 25, 2000, 11:01 PM   #5
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Fusby, I brown several guns a year. The browning itself doesn't harm the lettering or numbers. Care must be taken in the polishing of the metal prior to the browning process. Talk to your local smith and see if he does this. If not feel free to e-mail me. George
Old February 26, 2000, 06:34 PM   #6
fubsy

George,
thankyou for the help, this old piece is rough and needs some tlc. I was concerned with the conditining necessary to prepare this for the proper finish that the letters would be washed out.......Ive a couple of these older guns and am looking to pick up a few more....ill get back to ya...tks again..fubsy.

Alex, Im dangerous with any tool...its not for me, tks though...fubsy.