The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old July 29, 2011, 07:28 PM   #1
riverwalker76

Will NICS Be Affected If The Gov't Shuts Down?

A buddy and me were sitting around our local gun shop today, and noticed a strange trend.

This shop does high volume sales with an average on Friday & Saturday of 5 to 10 sales an hour. The prices are cheaper than Bud's Guns, and everyone seems to flock to it on the weekends.

After about 30 minutes he brought up the fact that the 4th person had been 'Delayed' at NICS in a little over an hour. That got me curious, so I asked the owner how many had been delayed in the past 2 days.

He didn't say anything, but held up a stack of 30 or more 4473 forms that were on 'Hold' due to a delay at NICS.

He said that there wasn't any rhyme or reason that he could figure out. However, he did notice that regular guys that buy often from him were getting put on 'Delay' who had NEVER been delayed as long as he had known them.

What's the deal? Is this something that we should be worried about? My buddy, who is a conspiracy nut, said it's 'Obama's Gun Control'. Delay enough people, and that slows down the sale of guns. Then, 1/3 of those people get frustrated with the '3 day rule' and either change their mind, or spend their money on something other than guns.

What are your thoughts?
Old July 29, 2011, 08:12 PM   #2
chasep255

Its probably nothing now but I too was wondering what will happen if there is a Gov't shutdown. I would not think it beyond those in charge to use it as an excuse to stop gun sales.
Old July 29, 2011, 08:18 PM   #3
dogtown tom

I've transferred over 400 guns in the last three months and have not had a single NICS "delay".

That's less than it was two years ago when I had 5-10 delays a month.

But we can always use another conspiracy theory.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old July 29, 2011, 08:35 PM   #4
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Already a thread on this --> http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458267

Since the other thread was already close to the top of the page, there is no excuse for the duplicate topic.

Closed.
Closed Thread