The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 4, 2013, 04:41 PM   #1
USMCST

Gun Safe Humidity Control

I apoligize if there is an existing thread on here and I just couldn't find it..... My question is (or are) I have a Cannon Firepoof safe in my garage, it has a heat rod mounted in the back of it and the safe seals up tightly. I live in Alabama. Does anyone else have this same scenario and if so, have you had any humidity problems within the safe? Is the rod enough to eradicate the humidity? Or do I need some silica in the safe as well. Any and all comments are welcomed. I have too much invested in firearms to have them damaged due to humidity. Thanks much, JG
Old March 4, 2013, 04:59 PM   #2
RonR6

Be cautious having the safe in the garage. I live in PA, when it rains here and my garage door is open there is a lot of dampness in there. There is a mirror on the wall and it always gets steamed up or wet. My safe is in the house and I have a golden rod dehumidifier and a silica gel box. I always check the box and it is fine. I also sealed the door of the safe with smoke seal/ a flexible hollow weatherstripping to keep out any dampness and have never had any problems. I had the browning safe for around 25+ years with no issues.
Old March 4, 2013, 05:04 PM   #3
USMCST

I guess the only way I will really know is to stick a hygromter (or whatever it's called) and keep an eye on it. I also have the thick fire proof weather stripping inside the door of my safe, kind of has a suction sound when I shut the door, so I hope that means it's sealing up well.... Thanks,
Old March 4, 2013, 08:34 PM   #4
Mac 1

Same situation

I am going to monitor this post. I have the same situation and I live in South Louisiana. Talk about humidity. I hope the heat stick is enough. It feels warm in the safe when I open it up. I haven't put the dessicant packs in there though. I suppose I should.
Old March 4, 2013, 10:30 PM   #5
BigD_in_FL

I live in central FL where we do not get the onshore cool breezes. My safe is inside under heat and air, had a golden rod and three big dessicant pkgs inside and I have to dry those boxes out about every other month
Old March 5, 2013, 09:24 AM   #6
Rifleman1776

Your heat rod should do just fine.
I don't have one but use dessicants I buy at the Dollar store. They cost $1.00 each and last six months or more. I am a semi-humid environment. Safe in house.
Old March 5, 2013, 11:24 AM   #7
KO3422

I think you heat rod should do just fine. I've lived in the same environment and I was good to go.
Old March 6, 2013, 06:39 PM   #8
Garycw

Better to have too much protection than not enough. The silica gel can be bought at hobby lobby (Dri Splender) 5lb $12.00 and is reusable once dried in oven or microwave.

Sent from iPhone
Old March 6, 2013, 08:05 PM   #9
Daggitt

I have one of those dessicant packs that plugs in the wall to dry it out. I have good luck with that. I wouldn't keep them in the garage if you have any other alternatives.
Old March 6, 2013, 09:33 PM   #10
Garycw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggitt View Post
I have one of those dessicant packs that plugs in the wall to dry it out. I have good luck with that. I wouldn't keep them in the garage if you have any other alternatives.
The Dri Splender is same stuff. It has blue indicating crystals that turn pink when they need heated & dryed out. Filling & taping Cone coffee filters work great for smaller applications

Sent from iPhone