The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 16, 2013, 07:55 AM   #1
thedudeabides

Governor or Judge?

My dad is insistent on getting a 410/45LC revolver for a truck gun. He thinks he's a terrible shot and the 410 sales pitch got to him.

My question is which of these would be better? The Gov shoots 45 ACP with moon clips and isn't a Taurus, so it's already a winner in my book. The Taurus is cheaper, and did I mention it's a Taurus.

I'm not thrilled with the accuracy of either, but I'm leaning towards the Gov because you can feed it just about anything.
Old February 16, 2013, 11:56 AM   #2
lowercase

I'd go with the Governor for its greater ammo versatility.
Old February 16, 2013, 12:03 PM   #3
Denezin

You get 6 with the governor. You get 45acp too. Pretty much outweighs the judge by alot. I dont like any either of em if i wanted .45 caliber id choose a s&w 325
Old February 16, 2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Chesster

Handling both, I prefer the Smith. Plus the use of ACPs in moon clips is a big advantage.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old February 16, 2013, 02:11 PM   #5
BoogieMan

If his intended use is only to have a SD weapon and not practice with it, then I would spend the least amount as possible. I have shot the Judge and it worked just fine. If I planned on using it more regularly than S&W without a doubt.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 16, 2013, 09:44 PM   #6
Texshooter

If the wallet allows, go with the Gov for sure.

I have, and like, both.

But shooting .45ACP out of the Gov is some of the most fun I have had shooting in a long time.
Old February 16, 2013, 10:14 PM   #7
Cheapshooter

First off, I own a 410/45 Colt revolver, and am very satisfied with it's performance for my purpose. So this isn't a bash of that platform. However, the 410 bore in a handgun will not make up for poor marksmanship.Period!
I'd say If it is to be his gun, it should be his choice. It should be which ever he feels fits him best. Maybe the proper fit, and feel of a handgun, no matter what chambering, could make more difference than shot or bullet.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 16, 2013, 10:17 PM   #8
9mm

Judge has too much slop in cylinder play, get the Governor or don't get the Judge!
Old February 16, 2013, 10:20 PM   #9
Venom1956

buy em a gun you think is better as a 'gift' my dad had a beater .38 in the truck, got him a bland reliable .45 and a few mags now he uses that.

Other then I'd go governor.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 16, 2013, 10:26 PM   #10
Mystro

No contest. I have owned both and the Governor is soooo much better built and its performance is outstanding....Tritium sights are outstanding and it's a tack driver with 45LC and Federal 000buck will patern the size of a tennis ball at 10 yards so you actually have to know how to shoot.

My Review:
http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...or-review.html
Lightweight for its size.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; February 16, 2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old February 16, 2013, 11:46 PM   #11
qqq1

I had a Judge. Didn't work properly out of the box, went to Taurus 6 or so times, never got fixed. No one at Taurus would talk to me and I was always dumped into a nameless voicemail. Finally got a refund out of Taurus and I was very surprised about that. I still want a 410 revolver but you can bet it won't be a Taurus.
Old February 17, 2013, 04:44 AM   #12
bigghoss

I'm never going to buy another taurus so I would go with S&W.

I can think of two much bigger issues with your father's choice of weapon but those are for different threads.
Old February 18, 2013, 08:44 AM   #13
rodfac

If your dad is adamant on one of these types, I'd get the S&W product for its quality, and customer service. The three Taurus' I've handled and shot here on our farm were less than satisfactory....lousy trigger pull, sprayed lead from the cylinder/barrel gap with lead alloy bullets, key-holed .45 LC's at 21 feet, and insufficient penetration with the #4 buck shot that was tried. And anecdotal evidence would suggest that Taurus' customer service leaves much to be desired. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 18, 2013, 09:47 AM   #14
magnum777

Definatley go with the governor
Old February 19, 2013, 02:17 PM   #15
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Quote:
insufficient penetration with the #4 buck shot that was tried.
More indicative of the round than the firearm.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!