The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 10, 2006, 10:14 PM   #1
mikefayetteville

Rainier Data

I've been using the Rainier in 38, 357, 44sp and 44mag. I have been using the data for the same weight lead bullet since the Rainier is just copper coated and have not had any problems. Any comments would be appreciated.
Old June 10, 2006, 10:53 PM   #2
Dead-Nuts-Zero

From the Rainier website;

Please call us toll free (800) 638-8722,
or email us at [email protected] for load information.

I sent an email to Rainier this last week asking for data.

This is their reply;

Thank you for your email and for your purchase of our products. We recommend using lead bullet load data when loading our bullets. Our bullets are jackted using an electroplating process and are softer than traditionally jacketed bullets; hence the recommendation. If you only have traditionally jacketed load data, please reduce your maximum charge by 10%. A roll or taper crimp works well with our bullets; care should be used to not overcrimp. I hope this information will be of some assistance. Thank you, Phyllis Welker, Customer Service/Sales

I have 1000 of their bullets to try but not in 38, 357, 44sp and 44mag.

Give them a call and maybe they can tell you more about what you need to know.
Old June 11, 2006, 06:13 AM   #3
mikefayetteville

Thanks for the info. I normally load in the low to midrange area so I should be OK.
Old June 11, 2006, 08:54 AM   #4
drvector

38 cal, 125 grn flat points

Mike,

I’m just finishing up my first box of 500 Rainier 38 cal, 125 grn flat points – use them for plinking and informal target shooting. I started off loading the bullet using 5.7 grains of unique with a taper crimp, based on a conversation with rainier tech support. That, by-the-way is the same load that my Speer loading manual gives for a 125 grn jacketed bullet. I’ve been systematically decreasing the unique load and just finished off a batch of using 5 grains of unique. That’s somewhat consistent with the load recommendation stating a 10% reduction for a jacketed bullet as provided in Dead-Nuts’ email. I’m satisfied with my last batch; very clean from a powder burn perspective, good accuracy, and comfortable recoil. It seemed to me that at my starting load, the bullet had a bit more kick than a commercially loaded jacketed 125 grain bullet. In general, I like their bullets (no leading of the barrel or lead residue on my hands during loading) I just wish Rainier was a little more forth coming with load data. Also, the flat point does a nice job of putting a reasonably clean hole in the paper.
Old June 11, 2006, 09:18 AM   #5
MADISON

Rainier loading data

I'm on my 8th year with Rainier bullets.
Use the LEAD loading data.
Keep the velocity below 1300 feet per second.
Old June 11, 2006, 10:10 AM   #6
pumpkinheaver

I have always used lead bullet data for these bullets.
Old June 13, 2006, 09:43 PM   #7
slimshot

Rainier testimonial....

I have been using the Rainier plated bullets for about three or four years now, and have been VERY happy with them. Started out with the 125 grain flat points for use in my .357 Marlin lever gun. It's the most accurate bullet I found for it, and still is. Interesting thing about it is that I was loading them with 15.8 grains of 2400 powder and clocking them at 2000 fps. Then I read that you were supposted to keep them under 1300 or 1500 fps! Well, I never had any come appart on me, only nice clean, close holes at 50 and 100 yards, so I still load 'em that way. Heck of a blast out of my Ruger Vaquero, too!
Anyway, Rainiers are great for indoor shooting, too. Lots less smoke and mess. I now load mild 158 grain "cowboy" rounds with them (no steel plate shooting!), .45 Auto, and .45 LC for target work and get very good results. I feel the concave base adds a lot to their accuracy. The only ones I have had problems with are the 148 grain double-end wadcutters that I flush-seat for use in my S&W Model 52. They are difficult to crimp in consistantly and the pistol has trouble with them I'm still working on that. Oh, yeah, I load them to regular lead values, too. (Well, except for those 2000 fps jobs....)