The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 28, 2000, 04:20 PM   #26
quadcab

Greg; Just curious. What did you decide to get?QUADCAB
Old April 28, 2000, 09:01 PM   #27
Greg G

quadcab,
I came within a hair's width of getting the Ultra Dot from Larry's, I had it in the shopping cart, and then I thought about the big gun show here next weekend May 6&7. I thought maybe there would be several to look at and maybe turn key the whole thing at one place. Scope, mount and rings at the same time. Give me a reason to go ahead and get the Ultra Dot and then get the mount and rings at the gun show and I'll place the order. Also, is the 30 mm worth $25 more. Looks like it might be easier to see. Thanks.
Old April 29, 2000, 11:13 AM   #28
quadcab

Greg; The reason to get the ULTRADOT is that it comes with the rings you mention. I use the 1" ultradot for bullseye matches. I understand that the 30mm tube would better serve you for action shooting,pins,plates,etc.
Old April 29, 2000, 07:03 PM   #29
Sisco

I've been considering using a red-dot scope mounted "scout" style on a 98 Mauser. Has anyone tried such a setup?
Old April 30, 2000, 10:57 PM   #30
skunniren

I'll put in a vote for the Millett red dot scopes. I have both the fixed and adjustable dot size styles. The fixed model (SP-2) has a 5 MOA dot. The Multidot SP has an adjustable dot size of 3, 5, 8, and 10 MOA.
The Multi dot is really convenient for multi size/range shooting since the dot may be sized for your preference, along with the dor intensity. It really makes an afternoon of plinking fun and easy on the eyes.

Either way I would recommend the Millett red dot scopes.
Old May 1, 2000, 06:15 PM   #31
Greg G

Well guys, I ordered the Ultra Dot scope from Larry's and a LSP mount from Brownell's.
When I get everything and get it put together, I will let you know whether I can hit anything with it. I appreciate the advice I was given. I have everything written down as I might want to put a scope on something else sometime and may want to try something different. Thanks.
Old May 6, 2000, 07:44 PM   #32
quadcab

Greg; congrats on ordering the Ultra-Dot, you won't be disapointed. One question though, why the LSP mount instead of the WEAVER? quadcab
Old May 7, 2000, 01:47 PM   #33
Greg G

quadcab, No particular reason for the LSP over the Weaver. It looked like it was what I needed so I ordered it. It arrived Friday but I haven't had time to install it. It is machined very nicely and is finished in matte black like the scope. It has a very smooth surface and fits on top of the barrel ok and the holes line up just right. I don't have to remove the sight that is already on the barrel. When I get around to putting it all together I will let you know how it does.
Old May 7, 2000, 08:23 PM   #34
quadcab

Greg; sounds good. When you get it all together, zero that mod.41 in with some CCI Standard Velocity 22LR. The Standard Velocity is reasonably priced and functions extremely well in mod. 41's. QUADCAB
Old May 7, 2000, 10:03 PM   #35
DougB

I'm surprised that no one mentioned the Bushnell (actually made my EOTech)Holosight. There is a new version that is smaller, lighter, and has better battery life and ergonomics. I can't speak from experience, but I've read a lot of good things about these and I'm thinking of getting one to mount on a flattop AR-15 carbine. You can see pictures and read about them at: http://www.rushusa.com/html/products/eotech.html. Something to consider.

Doug
Old May 8, 2000, 08:23 PM   #36
WOLF

GREG G,

I wish you luck with your Red dot scope.

Not to confuse you after you already made your purchase, but if in the future you are in the market for another one for whatever firearm you might mount one on.
Take a look at Leupold/Gilmore red dot.
Pound for price....It is an excellent unit.

I also own an Aimpoint...and it is top of the line great, but tends to get expensive in the Comp/M end of the model line.

When you get a chance do look at the C-More sight.
It is a red dot scope without the tube.!

Works great and is really nice, small and light.

As for the "Flare" problem asociated with some red dot scopes.
I have found this problem is often atributed to using it indoors in a dark shooting range.

When you take your firearm outside it should clear up nicely.
If it doesn't try turning down the power intensity setting to a smaller dot ..a plus on the adjustable size capable Aimpoints.

If indoors is all you can shoot....Bitch to the range owner.....indoor ranges need not be dark dismal basement dungeons anymore.

I shoot at several and serve as range safety officer. A well lit range is hands down beter.

Suggest they paint the floors and the walls white to lighten things up.
And install more lighting..!!

Tactical training can be acomplished by reducing the light on the range, by special request when you are the only one out there.

WOLF

[This message has been edited by WOLF (edited May 08, 2000).]
Old May 9, 2000, 08:59 AM   #37
Greg G

Wolf,
Thanks for the information. I may put a scope on something else in the future and I may want to experiment with something different. The range I belong to is ten minutes from my house so it's hard to beat the convenience. I have suggested improvements to them in the past but they are not inclined to spend much money. I have access to a friends farm but it is an hour and ten minutes away, I don't go there on an impulse.
Old May 19, 2000, 12:31 PM   #38
zardoz

Go to Midway and get a BSA for $40-$50 these work just fine for plinking. I bought a 42mm BSA for 1/3 the price I paid for a Tasco a few months back and could not tell the differance.
Old May 19, 2000, 06:45 PM   #39
Greg G

I'll put BSA on my list, Thanks.