The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 22, 1999, 10:20 AM   #1
Bennett Richards

I was wondering if porting is really necessary? Does it reduce muzzle-rise that much? Does it even make sense on a pump as your going to be racking after each shot anyway?

Ben
Old December 22, 1999, 11:58 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Ben,been shooting unported shotguns for about 40 years,IOW, no.

Have shot one Beretta O/U, with ports, a Clays model. Didn't notice a difference.
Old December 22, 1999, 02:07 PM   #3
Kingcreek

Bennet,
I'm with Dave on this one. If I was going to get real serious in clays/trap, maybe.
Otherwise, I don't like ported anything. I've never found recoil to be more objectional than increased noise and blast behind the muzzle. I guess I'd just rather keep it all out in front anyway.
just my simple-minded opinion
Old December 22, 1999, 02:47 PM   #4
pete80

If this is your personal defense gun, don't do it. Like the others said, the muzzle blast will be greater, which is not good in close quarters. If recoil is a problem, try those tactical loads from Winchester or Federal (Remington too?) in either buckshot or slug. They really are nicer on the shoulder!
Old December 22, 1999, 04:10 PM   #5
bruels

Nice, but not necessary.
Old December 22, 1999, 05:44 PM   #6
voodoo

Well, if I had my 870 I'd be able to tell you! Unfortunately, it's at Vang Comp getting "ported". Hans Vang estimates that his porting system reduces felt recoil by about 15%, increasing accuracy and reducing recovery time. I supposedly also reduces muzzle flash (though I don't see how).

Several of my LE friends swear by his work. Who knows?!?!?

He has lots of info on his site - check it out: www.vangcomp.com

Old December 25, 1999, 06:27 AM   #7
oberkommando

Voodoo, I do have my 870 and it hardly moves up at all.

Just because you have to pump the gun does not mean you will lose your sight picture, but if muzzle is up in air high you definitly will. My gun stays basically level even at high [for me] speed with my ported 870. Have had a witness say barrel didnt even move upwards noticably. Works for handguns and the muzzle flash from shotgun looked a lot worse than anything comming out of the ports.
If I ever dust off my nikons I will shoot a couple at night with long exposure of ported and unported and try to post the results here.
Posters here should tell all the rifle guys how important the flash hider is on the rifle forum, as they seem to be just fine without them, and not willing to pay the pre-ban price. BTW they shoot trap at night out here and dont seem too bothered by the porting, couldnt see bird after first shot if it was that bad.
IMO I couldnt tell differece, saw tartget as I always do.