The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 23, 2016, 10:17 AM   #51
Model12Win

The Makarov PM, while a bit large for pocket carry, is a valid option for larger pockets. You won't find a more reliable semi-auto carry gun than a Makarov.
Old November 23, 2016, 09:55 PM   #52
Auto5

Kimber Solo, Ruger LCP or S&W 442, in that order.
Old November 24, 2016, 09:04 AM   #53
adamBomb

Don't hesitate, get a pocket carry pistol. Ever since I got my Ruger LCP I barely carry my G26 (similar size as your shield). A pocket carry pistol is the best gun purchase I have made in my life. Its so easy to carry. Its no bigger than a wallet/cell phone and fits so easily in nearly every outfit. So go get one...I cannot stress this enough. I live at the beach in NC where its warm most of the year so my LCP is my go to gun most of the time now.

As far as model and caliber...I would go 380 for the simple fact that its so readily available. The .32 is great but its much tougher to find unless you are buying online. I went to 5 gun shops when I was looking for my pocket carry as the keltec 32 was on my list and each shop was like 'why would you consider the 32, its a dying round, when you could get a 380?'. I am not saying its a dying round or looking to argue with anyone about the 32 but I got the impression from 5 out of 5 different gun shops that I should definitely go 380 over 32. I considered the .22 too but I just found too many instances of unreliability. So go 380. You can buy it at every gun shop, walmart, etc. You cant say that for .32. Go to your local shops and see if you get the same reaction as me.

As far as brands, pick one of the main ones...ruger, SW, Keltec, taurus, etc. You have a SW sheild already so the SW might be a good option and it has an optional safety if you want one. The ruger is a pretty simple gun and has a good reliability record, plus its pretty cheap. I got mine for like $220 or something like that. The glock 42 is not a pocket carry gun for someone your size. Others can pocket carry them just fine but just dont get it. If you are looking for pocket carry get a true pocket carry gun. I think the sig is maybe a tad too big too. For some reason when people start talking about pocket carry you get people that say well I can carry my full size gun in my pocket...if anyone is hinting a gun is too big or something like that just cross it off your list. Get a true pocket carry gun. Dont try to make a big gun fit in your pocket.

I have fired a number of these 380s and dont find them any more difficult than my G26 or the G43 and similar size guns. I think its all about your hand size. I could easily put 200 rounds on my ruger in a session without an issue whereas some people complain their hands hurt at 50 rounds.

Then once you make your purchase get a good pocket holster. I have a desantis and its awesome. Looks like I have a wallet in my pocket. So easy to carry in shorts, slacks, gym shorts, etc.

Last edited by adamBomb; November 24, 2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old November 24, 2016, 02:57 PM   #54
Bill DeShivs

.32 acp is one of the most widely used cartridges in the world.
It should be available at any decent gun shop, and is available at Walmart.
Old November 26, 2016, 08:51 AM   #55
keithdog

I'd like to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. I spent some time yesterday at our local gun shop, a very good gun shop with a shooting range. After looking at several pistols for pocket carry, I fell in love with the Ruger LCP2. The size and weight are perfect for pocket carry, and the upgraded trigger of the new LCP2 is amazing. Love the reset! And best of all, it costs under $300.00. So I think I've made up my mind to get the LCP2. Thanks again everyone.
Old November 27, 2016, 01:03 PM   #56
Charlie Fox

I highly recommend the Keltec P32; been my everywhere, all the time gun for 14 years.
Old November 30, 2016, 08:47 AM   #57
SIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog
the upgraded trigger of the new LCP2 is amazing
I actually don't like the new trigger. Seems too light for a pocket pistol. I believe the LCP gen2 is the ideal pocket pistol. I just bought a second one!
Old December 2, 2016, 12:51 AM   #58
gbran

Sig P238

Just bought this little jewel. Wanted it for deep carry. Really like it. Accurate for it's size.

Old December 2, 2016, 08:26 AM   #59
SIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbran
Just bought this little jewel. Wanted it for deep carry. Really like it. Accurate for it's size.
Great looking piece! How do you plan on carrying it? Does it seem to heavy and big for pocket? I tried a G42 in pocket but it didn't work very well for me. Went back to an LCP. Stay safe.
Old December 2, 2016, 11:32 PM   #60
cpt-t

For me it is my Kahr CW9 and my Wife carries one also. We have been carrying our CW9`s for several years. With no problems what so ever. The Crimson Trace Laser Grips, we think make them even better.
ken
Old December 3, 2016, 12:20 AM   #61
ammo.crafter

pocket protector

Mine is an AMT Backup in .380.
Old December 3, 2016, 12:44 AM   #62
gbran

SIMP

Quote:
Great looking piece! How do you plan on carrying it? Does it seem to heavy and big for pocket?
It is not too heavy or too big for pocket carry.
Old December 10, 2016, 02:50 PM   #63
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog
I carry my S&W Shield on a daily basis and love it.
OP, based on the above statement you've already answered your own question. I'll take shootability over carryability anyday. I like my Walther PPS M2 for EDC but that Shield is probably at least as good as my Walther.
Old December 10, 2016, 03:24 PM   #64
CrazyGolfNut

I still carry my shield but my wife picked up a Ruger LCP 2 due to its small size. Nice little gun.
Old December 10, 2016, 04:17 PM   #65
Doc Intrepid

The ease of pocket carry is seductive - I often realize that "if I were to get into a gun fight, there are numerous better pistols/revolvers I'd rather have available", but still I find myself slipping a pocket pistol into my slacks or jacket almost constantly.

For most civilians, unless they routinely annoy bikers or gang members, they're really looking at relatively close-range encounters - and at 3'-4' these little pocket guns are likely to convince the average mugger that they have somewhere else to get to very quickly.

There are two I use routinely, a Beretta 3032 Tomcat/Alleycat in .32 ACP; and a Kahr P380 in .380 ACP. I like them both, but the Kahr is slightly thinner. Both are roughly the same size in terms of length/height, but the Beretta holds 7+1 rounds, whereas the Kahr holds 6+1. Either tend to disappear in a pocket.

Both would be worth consideration...
Old December 10, 2016, 04:52 PM   #66
Armybrat

Kahr CT380 7+1:

Old December 10, 2016, 09:39 PM   #67
Doug570

Sig Sauer P238. Cant replace my normal carry 45ACP but it is lot better than nothing.
Old December 11, 2016, 12:12 AM   #68
Ibmikey

Sig P 238, Kimber Micro Carry or Colt Mustang....basically the same pistol (Colt has poorest sights) all are single action, for deep pocket should have pocket holster for safest carry. I use kydex IWB holster and all three fit one holster.
Old December 13, 2016, 08:50 PM   #69
North East Redneck

I feel comfortable with my 442, pocket carried. It's not the easiest gun to shoot. I have many thousands of rounds through it now. Decent close defense gun.
I prefer the M&P .45c, but the OP was about small guns. If you have the time to learn the 442 or 642, I think you will be satisfied.
Old December 14, 2016, 09:37 AM   #70
dannyb

I prefer DAO hammer fired for carry. For EDC in summer, I carry a KelTec P32. At 6 oz, it disappears in a front pants pocket. For winter coat pocket carry I have a Beretta Pico. I know somebody posted that they suck, but I disagree. It took a whole 20 rounds to break it in. It's still light, accurate, and versatile. Before the Pico, I carried a Colt Pony Pocketlite with modified sights.
Old December 15, 2016, 06:50 PM   #71
druryj

I like my wife's Kimber Micro .380. Reliable, accurate, easy to carry in a front pocket holster and has 7+1 at hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 16, 2016, 12:03 PM   #72
lee n. field

Quote:
I carry my S&W Shield on a daily basis and love it. Most of the time I will continue to carry it. However, there are times I wish I had a true pocket gun, of which I don't consider the Shield to be, compact as it is. It's still a little bulky and heavy to toss into my pants or shorts pocket. I know some of you big guys find it fine with your apparel. However, at 5'5" tall, my clothing doesn't have such large pockets. I'm not sure which direction to go in caliber or style. The .22LR, 380ACP, or another ? Revolver or semi auto? To me, a small 22LR would be ideal in size, though it seems many have reliability issues. Any suggestions you would have would be appreciated!

(I have an LCP, but it is carried very seldom. I find my S&W 642 j-frame is very easy to carry and very discreet. And I can actually aim and hit what I shoot at with it. )
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 16, 2016, 02:26 PM   #73
Texas45

I have been happy with this one.
Started with a 40 then they released the 45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 16, 2016, 02:44 PM   #74
Bill DeShivs

All I can say is- some of you guys have huge pockets!
Old December 16, 2016, 04:24 PM   #75
AK103K

Ill say! Im paranoid with a Seecamp or Baby Browning in any of mine.

I couldnt even begin to get something bigger in them, even if they were "empty", which they normally arent.