The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 21, 2011, 05:28 PM   #26
Wyoredman

Quote:
In order to register a gun for self defense in the home, the city requires residents to take four hours of classroom instruction and one hour on the shooting range with one of the firearms instructors they have certified.

But, here’s the kicker: the instructors aren’t allowed to teach any part of it -- even the classroom -- within the city limits.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...travel-dc-gun/

How can this not be akin to a "poll tax"? Requireing undue hardship to practice a second amendment right?

I don't get this?
Old November 22, 2011, 04:57 PM   #27
Mr. James

Yes, DC is actually this screwed up. It would take someone like, oh, Emily Miller to have standing to challenge these laws. Perhaps Alan Gura could line up some attractive, car-less defendants who would like to have firearms, but cannot due to this monstrosity. The idea that you simply cannot take a mandated four-hour safety class anywhere within the jurisdiction of the District is as ludicrous as having to buy firearms through the lone FFL, who works out of the basement of a police precinct house, and charges $125 to do a simple transfer. Oh, wait, all of that applies to the District, too.

And these yahoos clamor for statehood? Sure, welcome to Mugabestan, USA.

That's a bracing point about an unarmed women having to travel out of state to take a class in an armed stranger's basement. I've twice taken courses taught out of the instructors' homes. But, of course, I'm a 6'1" guy, and I was carrying concealed both times.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old November 22, 2011, 05:45 PM   #28
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Anyone want to take bets that there is a case in the works for D.C. that relies upon the 7th Circuit Ezell decision?... Just saying.
Old December 7, 2011, 11:34 PM   #29
hermannr

Bump: Please sticky this so we can easily check if there is a new entry into this blog...it is still ongoing and is interesting.

Last edited by hermannr; December 8, 2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old December 7, 2011, 11:42 PM   #30
egor20

D.C. gun laws could be eased
By Mike DeBonis

(Chip Somodevilla - GETTY IMAGES) It could soon become easier for District resident to lawfully procure firearms. A bill introduced to the D.C. Council today by Phil Mendelson (D-At Large) would ease the District’s toughest-in-the-nation gun laws.

The District would still require would-be gun owners to take a firearms safety course, but under the Mendelson bill they would be allowed to possess a gun temporarily while taking the course. Gun owners would no longer have to take a vision test and would only have to pass a test on the District’s gun laws once, upon initial registration.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...zkZO_blog.html

Proof that your vision is better than or equal to that required to obtain a valid DC driver’s license.

You may present your valid DC operator’s permit or a valid optometry examination.

If you don’t have a valid DC operator’s permit or optometry exam, you will be directed to the DC Department of Motor Vehicles (located at 300 C Street, NW) to pass a vision test showing your vision is at least 20/40 in the best eye OR no less than 20/70 in the best eye and field of vision of at least 140° (with or without corrective lenses).

http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1237,q,566989.asp

Wow Just once taking a vision test, LoLoL

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old December 8, 2011, 07:51 AM   #31
jimpeel

Once again equating the operation of firearms to the operation of automobiles. <sigh>

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old December 8, 2011, 07:41 PM   #32
Kreyzhorse

Great read. It really is amazing how DC is working around the 2nd Amendment and pretty scary that they have gotten away with it.
Old December 9, 2011, 07:38 PM   #33
MC 1911

I had the pleasure of meeting Emily and her Editor Richard today,when they visited our range. She is a wonderful young lady & has a great mentor in Richard.

He is an excellent shot & had her going today when she had the chance to shoot the 454 Casull. This was just for fun after she shot the guns she's considering.

She has a nice "short list" with a comical surprise added to it for humor. She will be listing her favorites in the next installment ,as a poll on what she should get.

She is a bright,determined lady that shoots well,and should be owning her gun shortly!

Last edited by MC 1911; December 10, 2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old December 12, 2011, 09:12 AM   #34
krucam

MC 1911...I think you get a call out in Emily's latest, posted Friday 12/9.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...-choosing-gun/
Old December 15, 2011, 01:38 PM   #35
ltc444

I think Emily has the potential to be one outstanding shooter.

Any new shooter who can hold a 454 Casuals on target 6 times in a row is a natural.

Go emily.
Old December 19, 2011, 09:20 PM   #36
Wyoredman

D.C. Cops just busted "gangsters" with $7million worth of guns and drugs, yet Emily still doesn't have her gun after 3 months. That is messed up.

Kind of proves the old saying - "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!"

Last edited by Wyoredman; December 19, 2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old December 20, 2011, 07:05 PM   #37
MC 1911

"MC 1911...I think you get a call out in Emily's latest, posted Friday 12/9."

Yes,I had a good laugh! She really is a nice young lady and not as intimidated as she might want you to believe I suspect!!
Old December 27, 2011, 02:17 PM   #38
Spats McGee
Staff

Well, I had hoped that Ms. Miller would get a gun for Christmas, and let us know what it is. Sadly, there's no post-Xmas update yet.
Old January 20, 2012, 11:15 AM   #39
Bartholomew Roberts

Still no gun for Ms. Miller... she settled on the Sig P229; but the process was made a little more complex by having to meet all the various D. C. regulations on handguns: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...bought-gun-dc/
Old January 20, 2012, 01:59 PM   #40
nate45

It seems clear that further court action is needed.

The world needs to know if DC's current regulations pass the 'reasonable restrictions' test.
Old January 20, 2012, 06:04 PM   #41
Aguila Blanca
Staff

As if we needed further proof that the SCOTUS royally screwed the pooch by ruling that the 2nd Amendment is subject to "reasonable regulation" when the express language of the 2nd Amendment says just the opposite.
Old January 25, 2012, 02:06 PM   #42
Bartholomew Roberts

For those who are following, she finally managed to purchase a P229 (thanks in no small part to advice and help from Second Amendment supporters). Of course, this being D. C., just paying for the correct gun to comply with D. C. regs doesn't mean you can actually take possession of the gun. That would be way too simple...

I wonder what it is about D. C. that even with these complex gun laws they have a higher violent crime rate than I do in my hometown where I can just walk in, plunk my money down, and walk out 10 minutes later with the gun?
Old January 25, 2012, 04:04 PM   #43
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts
For those who are following, she finally managed to purchase a P229 (thanks in no small part to advice and help from Second Amendment supporters). Of course, this being D. C., just paying for the correct gun to comply with D. C. regs doesn't mean you can actually take possession of the gun. That would be way too simple...
I've been following this one, and it's been interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts
I wonder what it is about D. C. that even with these complex gun laws they have a higher violent crime rate than I do in my hometown where I can just walk in, plunk my money down, and walk out 10 minutes later with the gun?
Ssssshhhhh. . . You'll give away the secret (that law-abiding folk have an easier time gettin' guns where you live.)
Old January 25, 2012, 10:03 PM   #44
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
The end of the document explains that guns eligible for registration must be on the California Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale.
Wait, what? I knew DC had a roster, but I didn't know it was a cut-and-paste of California's. It's sad to note that the Hanson case appears to have stalled.

When the District legalized ownership, they gave as little as humanly possible. They still require a 20-question test (like Alabama did for another right in the 1960's), and among other things, applicants

Quote:
Must not suffer from a physical defect which would make it unsafe for you to possess and use a firearm safely and responsibly.
I still wonder what the criteria for that are, and who makes the decision. That's an ADA lawsuit waiting to happen.
Old January 25, 2012, 10:06 PM   #45
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
I still wonder what the criteria for that are, and who makes the decision. That's an ADA lawsuit waiting to happen.
That was my thought, too. Surely there's at least one wheelchair-bound military veteran in DC who could be a plaintiff on that one.
Old January 25, 2012, 11:15 PM   #46
Tom Servo
Staff

...or someone with epilepsy, cerebral palsy, or Parkinson's. If we assume (as McDonald did) that the right to keep and bear arms is fundamental, then infringements based on handicap are actionable. The government must comply with the ADA just as any private individual must.

Heck, I taught a guy with Down's Syndrome to shoot. It was a steep learning curve, and an educational experience for both of us, but he's actually safer than most folks on the range.
Old January 26, 2012, 01:27 AM   #47
ltc444

Tom Servo there used to be a legally blind guy who who shot indoor small bore rifle. He had tunnel vision about a 4inch tube out to 50 feet. He won several leg matches and recieved numerous awards.

Under DC law he would be DQd form owning a Firearm. If he is still around he would make a good test case.
Old January 26, 2012, 10:42 AM   #48
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
When the District legalized ownership, they gave as little as humanly possible. They still require a 20-question test (like Alabama did for another right in the 1960's)
And probably for the same reasons as Alabama at that...
Old January 26, 2012, 12:19 PM   #49
Wyoredman

According to Emilys' Twitter account, she passed her written test and is in the "ten day cooling off period"!

I find this rather funny, since she has been working through the process since Octber!
Old January 26, 2012, 02:59 PM   #50
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoredman
According to Emilys' Twitter account, she passed her written test and is in the "ten day cooling off period"!

I find this rather funny, since she has been working through the process since Octber!
Maybe the ten day cooling off period is to allow you to cool down after your latest contact with the civil-rights disparaging D. C. bureaucracy? I know I would probably need at least ten days after talking to any apparatchik if I had to go through what Emily did.