The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 4, 2011, 08:05 PM   #1
MLeake

How many grains BP?

Or Triple 7...

I now have a mix of .490 balls and 348gr PowerBelt bullets for my new/used .50 T/C Hawken.

Where can I find good loading data, so I can figure out how much Triple 7 or Pyrodex to put behind them?

Thanks,

M
Old January 4, 2011, 08:42 PM   #2
mykeal

Thompson Center has the Hawken owner's manual available for download in Adobe Reader (.pdf) format on their web site.
http://www.tcarms.com/manuals/
Use the black powder data for Pyrodex, and reduce the black powder data by 15% for 777.

Those are suggested values only, except for the max load numbers. You will need to experiment to find the most accurate load combinations (ball, patch, powder) for your rifle. Start at 50 gr black powder by volume, shoot at least 3 rounds of the same combination at the same POA and note the group size. Add 5 grains and shoot another 3 rounds, then add 5 more and shoot 3. Continue until the group sizes start to open up. The smallest group size is the best combination for that ball and patch. You will need to do that for each new projectile or patch.

Last edited by mykeal; January 4, 2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old January 4, 2011, 09:44 PM   #3
MLeake

Thanks, Mykeal

That's exactly what I wanted.

Cheers,

M
Old January 8, 2011, 05:42 AM   #4
shortwave

MLeake
Goodluck with those Powerbelts in your TC Hawkins. Had to many fliers with mine. Couldn't group at all with them. Didn't matter the powder charge. Rifle just didn't like them. Don't think there was enough twist.

As for roundballs, a good deer hunting load will usually be somewhere between 80-95 grns. of Black Powder or substitute(Pyrodex, etc.) or 65-80grns. 777 with a tight fitting .490 ball with some nice .017 ticking.

If only punching paper, you can work up a much lighter load.

Have fun!

Last edited by shortwave; January 8, 2011 at 06:07 AM.