The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old March 7, 2005, 04:22 PM   #1
tom650604

Dicks Sporting Goods...Opening couple months MN

Just wondering if they are good in price compare to Ganders Mountain and Sportsmanwarehouse?

They are opening I believe 3 store here in the Twin Cities, MN in the next couple of months. "Grand Opening" Hope I can get some good deals at the opening.
Old March 7, 2005, 07:16 PM   #2
22-rimfire

I shop regularly at Dick's down here in Tennessee. They are traditionally "retail" as are most sporting goods stores that carry a wide range of stuff. They usually run [U]sales just prior to hunting season on firearms and hunting related items. Same applies to fishing stuf and other stuff, like golf stuff before Father's Day. I keep an eye open for deals, but for the most part they are priced like Gander Mt, Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops. Love Bass Pro Shops for selection... certainly not a lot of deals that I have seen, but I have to travel to go to a BPS, so my timely is not flexible. Hope this helps.
Old March 7, 2005, 09:32 PM   #3
Swamp Yankee

Keep an eye on their ads.

About every 3 or 4 months they sell the UMC pistol ammo for extremely reasonable, prices. I've picked up 9mm for $5.00 a box and .45 acp for $8.50 a box. You can also find some decent pricing from time to time on accessories like cases and cleaning supplies.
One word of caution, don't expect a lot of helpful advice.

Take Care
Old March 7, 2005, 11:44 PM   #4
Countertop

Go to Gander, they at least value your 2nd Amendment rights.

Dicks on the other hand, are just that. As far as their concerned, the sooner you are disarmed and not a customer, the better.

They don't sell handguns (against corporate policy) and the rifles they sell are junk (don't even get me started on the sales force). its a crying shame really, cause the Galyans here in NoVa was a fine firearms establishment, with one of the best firearms stores and most knowledgeable staffs around.

Dicks, of course, fired everyone and cleared the guns out.

They can't go out of business soon enough, as far as I am concerned.
Old March 9, 2005, 12:44 PM   #5
Ozzieman

The problem with both Dicks and Gander in Indiana

IS that the people working there are some of the most stupid people I have every had the misfortune to talk gun about.
The Gander mountain I was looking at a Kimber 1911 and was told that all Kimbers need trigger jobs and that they had one of the best gun smiths in the country. He looked 19 (the gun smith) and diddnt know what a Triple lock smith was.
Old March 18, 2005, 03:10 AM   #6
poortrader

I've found Dicks to be expensive on ammo. They sell bulk reloads more than WWB's at Walmart. I've also had to wait before finding help. I prefer MC sport to Dicks in Indiana.

NRA Life Member
Old March 18, 2005, 04:03 PM   #7
blacklabelsociety

fu*k Dicks

Fu*k Dicks right up the A$$.

I walked around that store trying to look at ammo, rifles, all sorts of stuff, had no help, they don't let you carry in there, they are nazi's.

I will never set foot in this store again. I'd rather go to wal-mart than Dicks. Whoever named the store was right on.
Old March 18, 2005, 08:00 PM   #8
mtnbkr

I had my wife stop by Dick's to pick up a couple 357mag ammo boxes while she was in the area. The Dick Employee tried to tell her an ammo box for 44mag would work since the 357 cartridges would fit.

She called me to confirm (she's not a gunny). Needless to say, she wouldn't put me on the phone with the guy.

Chris
Old March 18, 2005, 10:21 PM   #9
greg531mi

Yes, Dick's is a bargain sporting goods store, with Walmart type guns and ammo.....I did buy a Hastings 870 barrel for my son, for $139 and Remington Gold Bullet 22 ammo for $7/525...but now they handle Thunderbolt crap....Dicked at Dicks..........
Old March 19, 2005, 05:06 PM   #10
tom650604

Just bought from Walmart...can't beat it.

9mm 100 rounds for $11.97
40sw 100 rounds for $15.97
Both are winchester brand.

Walmart is the place to be for ammo.
Old March 19, 2005, 05:39 PM   #11
citizen

Local Galyan's just became a Dick's; general feeling is "not good"! What they carry otherwise can be gotten most anywhere......
My fav FFL gets my hardware buy's; ammo from 'net or Wally......
Life is too short for dial-up
Old March 20, 2005, 03:10 AM   #12
guntotin_fool

Tom.

A good and personal friend works at the tonka store and another golf buddy works at the woodbury store, All the skilled sales staff lost their comission rates, a pay cut of 25% or more. All the handguns are gone. all the Ziess and stiener glass gotten rid of. Dicks does not want skilled and knowlegable staff. I have not gotten responses to my emails regarding handgun policy nor have they responded to my inquiries regarding the lack of care or consideration of valuable staff people. not just poor answers, no answers. I will not deal with them after my friends leave the store.
Old March 20, 2005, 07:53 AM   #13
mtnbkr

Yup. Dick's is just another junk store like SportsAuthority.

Chris
Old March 20, 2005, 10:46 AM   #14
tom650604

guntotin,

WOW! When you have staff who works for the company is not happy. This pretty much says it all IMO.