The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 6, 2013, 11:46 PM   #1
North East Redneck

question regarding price of .45 Colt cowboy ammo

Just curious as to what you are paying for .45 colt cowboy ammo in your area. I am just getting into trying these in my '58 Pietta. Haven't even got the cylinder yet, but should have soon. What is a decent price for the ammo?
Old September 7, 2013, 12:19 AM   #2
Bezoar

hmm please before you get the cylinder go to various online companies that sell ammo.

The most commonly found ammo in the bulk 45 long colt category is well, $0.85 a round before shipping if you buy a 250 round container. Then toss in shipping, taxes, it gets screwy.

the best price i have seen in person since the panic started was 30 dollar for a single 20 round box of federal semi wadcutter hollowpoints. before tax.

You might think percussion caps are expensive, if it has cowboy on the box most companies add on 5-8 dollars per box.
Old September 7, 2013, 04:55 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

Load your own...

and cast your own bullets.

Price per round get crazy cheap.
Old September 7, 2013, 07:29 AM   #4
Beagle333

Quote:
Load your own...
and cast your own bullets.
Price per round get crazy cheap.
Agreed! Crazy cheap like 12 cents for a finished .45-70 round, or 8-9 cents for a .357/38. (Assuming you are reloading your own brass). People with access to free or nearly-free lead can lower those prices even more.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old September 7, 2013, 08:31 AM   #5
Hawg

Before the panic it was 35.00 per 50 round box at Wal Mart. Have no idea what it is now.
Old September 7, 2013, 08:31 AM   #6
North East Redneck

Thanks guys. If I like shooting them, I will try reloading my own. Many companies will not ship ammo to my state.
Old September 8, 2013, 11:38 AM   #7
salvadore

Yep, even at todays component prices It's like less than $5.00 per fifty if you cast and load your own, and you don't have to settle for whatever wally world has on hand.
Old September 8, 2013, 12:03 PM   #8
Rigmarol

I cast and load my own Cowboy loads. It's not only cheaper but you are more self sufficient as well.

If I were to buy my rounds today I would go to one of the many gun shows on the weekends and buy there. The prices will be better than stores or online shipping.
Old September 8, 2013, 02:50 PM   #9
H.W. French

About 40.00 for a box of 50 Winchester Super X Cowboy loads. That was at Cabela's last week. The only place in town that occasionally has a few boxes. Fresh 45 Colt is actually easier to find here than reloading components for the same calibre.
Old September 8, 2013, 08:08 PM   #10
BerdanSS

$26.50 per 50 for LFP loaded to cowboy specs
$36.99 per 50 for basically the same load but with JHPs

these are really high quality and accurate reloads I buy from a local shop owner. He gives me .08 off per round when I bring him the brass back to load up for me to boot. I cant afford to buy factory 45 colt, and I don't have anywhere to reload myself.
Old September 10, 2013, 06:53 AM   #11
brazosdave

I have a 1873 Colt repro in .38/.357, and I got around the whole ammo mess by getting myself a Lee handpress and a set of dies. Load up using either your storebought bp or substitute or some of your own press cake, cast yer own bullets, and your cost will be minimal. A few good days of shooting and my modest investment had already paid itself off.
Old September 10, 2013, 07:08 PM   #12
indy1919

Sportsman guide has some magtech fot 32 a box, if you get them on a free shipping day that sometimes helps
Old September 18, 2013, 05:12 PM   #13
Cheyenne Ranger

Even if you have to buy lead off of castboolists.com or ebay you can reload for about 10 cents per round. This doesn't count the cost of the cases.

With a mild powder load you can get a goodly number of reloads per case.

cr
Old September 19, 2013, 10:31 AM   #14
Fox84

$26.50 for 50 at Georgia Arms.
Old September 21, 2013, 04:44 PM   #15
North East Redneck

What do you guys think about Lee reloading products? I seem to run across a lot of negative stuff. Is this snobbery or are there real problems with this brand?
Old September 21, 2013, 05:33 PM   #16
Beagle333

I reload a bazillion shells with Lee. I don't have any of their molds, so can't say, but their presses and dies work very well. The breechlock system sure makes changing dies a snap too. (literally)

I do have 2 sets of Hornady New Dimension Nitride dies, but I can't say they really outshine the Lee's by much.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old September 21, 2013, 05:49 PM   #17
Doc Hoy

NER

Please understand that I am not a purist. I don't have a lot of experience with a wide range of equipment and so my sentiments have limited value.

I like their products.

The multistage press is a good option. I converted mine to four positions (cost was about 17.00 and I did not use the progressive rod) but I would not have needed to do so. I don't typically use a factory crimp die so three positions is really all I need.

I have a turret set up for each of my calibers (.357, .44 Mgnm, .45LC, .45-70 govt and .45 ACP). This reduces the time required to set up the press. I just run a coulpa rounds through to make sure the set up is still good.

I have Lee molds which I like much more than the Lyman/Ideal molds I have for round balls. For bullets I use only Lee molds but that is because I just never tried higher price molds. They work fine.

I have a Pacific single stage press and also used an old single stage press from another manufacturer (can't remember whose) and those presses are extremely high quality, but a single stage press just doesn't work for me.

I have the Lee hardness tester which I like because it does the job for a low price.

Also have the Lee ten pound production pot. This is my second one. The first Production Pot was still working fine but I figure after 35 years I deserved to spend the 57.00 on a new one. I gave the old one to a friend and he is still using it.

The dies from Lee are easy to set up and give good consistent rounds.
Old September 21, 2013, 06:21 PM   #18
Hawg

I use a lot of Lee stuff and like it. Most of my molds are Lee and I really like Lee dies. Some don't like them because of the O ring but as long as you install and remove them using the nut they will stay adjusted. If you do it using the die body they will lose adjustment but I never had one lose adjustment while I was using it.
Old September 21, 2013, 08:49 PM   #19
North East Redneck

Well, I guess I will be looking at some Lee products. Thanks guys. You have put me at ease with purchasing Lee equipment.
Old September 22, 2013, 03:26 AM   #20
Doc Hoy

If that have the stuff in stock...

...Titan Reloading has good prices, good service and fairly inexpensive shipping.
Old September 22, 2013, 07:31 AM   #21
North East Redneck

I will check out Titan, was looking at the Lee site last night and saw them listed as a dealer. Thanks for the info on them.
Old September 22, 2013, 03:05 PM   #22
Doc Hoy

Just remembered....

The other single stage press I had was an Echo. I bought it cheap, rehabbed it, used it, realized single stage didn't work for me and sold it.

It was a real good press.

Also had a Lyman Truline Junior which I liked but the turret was for the 310 dies. I made a turret for 7/8 inch dies and then sold it. Also made a primer holder for large primers for it.

Excellent press and had great fun fooling with it.
Old September 23, 2013, 08:33 PM   #23
North East Redneck

Gentlemen, thanks for all the great info! I am excited to get into this new realm of reloading. I have hit a snag in a home purchase, and will be directing my time towards overcoming this problem. As soon as that is done, I will renew my pursuit of loading equipment. Hopefully this will be set straight soon. When it is, I will probably be asking a lot more questions. Thanks again for the info and direction. Also, to the member who took the time to PM me about this subject, extra thanks to you!
Old September 24, 2013, 07:03 AM   #24
Doc Hoy

NER

Best of luck with the home.
Old September 27, 2013, 07:38 PM   #25
North East Redneck

Doc, thanks man. Things are looking better. The short story is, it is a question of home insurance for a home that's being renovated. I believe between the lawyer, the lending institution and the ins company, everything is set to move toward closing.

I also received the R&D conversion cylinder from Taylors. Bolt won't lock up. Contacted Taylors, they said to send the gun or the bolt in. Free of charge they will adjust the bolt.
I'm new to this but I believe the bolt is unable to lock on firing due to the bolt stops in the cylinder being cut less deep than the BP cylinder bolt stops. This is causing the bolt to not lock into place upon bringing the gun to full cock. So a simple small job of grinding of the bolt cam should fix the problem.