The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 12, 2014, 10:18 PM   #1
cz75

CZ 75 kadet kit

Looking where to find the kadet kit, as i am trying to turn my cz75 compact into a .22

found this and I'm not sure if it will work for the compact.

also, i plan on keeping the compact, although a recent purchase of a .380 kind of has me wishing i would've got the full-size CZ.

not sure if the kadet kit works on all of the 75's or not.
Old September 13, 2014, 12:58 AM   #2
br13

In my experience, when the Kadet 2 kit was installed on a compact CZ, the slide would not reliably lock open after the last round in a magazine was fired. The Kadet magazine is a looser fit in the compact, and this causes the problem. CZ replaced both Kadet magazines, but the problem remained. The same Kadet 2 adapter worked fine in the full size CZ75.

Last edited by br13; September 13, 2014 at 01:07 AM.
Old September 13, 2014, 06:49 AM   #3
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
In my experience, when the Kadet 2 kit was installed on a compact CZ, the slide would not reliably lock open after the last round in a magazine was fired. The Kadet magazine is a looser fit in the compact, and this causes the problem. CZ replaced both Kadet magazines, but the problem remained. The same Kadet 2 adapter worked fine in the full size CZ75.
That may be a problem found with the Kadet 2 kit, but it isn't unheard of with the earlier Kadet kits, either.

Some seem to work beautifully with the compact models, and some don't. But it may not be a problem limited to compact models. In a number of cases, a new slide stop seemed to be the solution. (If I remember correctly, the 40mm slide stop didn't reach into the frame far enough to always engage the follower. I think, too, that the alloy-framed compact guns are a hair wider in the slide-stop area -- which could keep the slide stop from engaging the .22 follower, too. Asking CZ-USA about the slide stop might be another course of action.)

I have one of the earlier 75B kits (used mostly with a CZ-85 Combat) and originally one mag locked back the slide and one didn't. Last time out, both seemed to work properly. Go figure. When it was a problem, I couldn't see or measure a hair of difference between the two mags; there was clearly nothing magical going on, but the subtle differences elude me -- but at the time, I never thought to check the slide-stop/follower engagement.

(As I understand it -- which may not be correct -- the Kadet 2 version incorporates small changes that make it compatible with CZ-75B-based guns that have the Omega trigger system.)

Slide lock on empty is nice, but it's NOT really a reason for a go/no go decision. Fast "action" reloads with a .22 aren't really a critical thing, and practicing THAT with a Kadet Kit isn't likely to really help you that much in other competition venues. (Practicing presentations, from the holster, using the Kadet Kit might be helpful.)

Kadet Kits are rarer than hen's teeth nowadays, and you might be wise to buy one when you find it...

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; September 13, 2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old September 13, 2014, 06:55 AM   #4
Pilot

My Kadet Kit operates perfectly on my full size 75B, and my Compact 75D PCR. I have had it since 2000, but did up grade the kit with a new firing pin, firing pin spring, and retainer plate, all free from CZ USA.