The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 24, 2013, 12:36 AM   #26
Nick_C_S

Looks great! Love it. It looks much better than before - but still "original." Very classy.
Old November 24, 2013, 12:38 AM   #27
Nick_C_S

Looks like a Lee Auto Prime box on the floor

And you have cat Love those too.
Old November 24, 2013, 01:17 PM   #28
mattL46

@nick yes like I said loading operation is in shambles right now and my little indoor "project bench" is very cluttered right now trying to get better organized. Yes two cats a dog and other exotics. Lots going on at my place! Thanks for the compliments!
Old November 24, 2013, 01:37 PM   #29
bedbugbilly

Matt - I really can't tell you on the priming items but as mentioned, it looks like it is pretty complete except for the tubes? I also prime off press - currently using the new Lee ergo hand primer. At some point, I'd like to try one of the RCBS bench mount primers - they look like they'd be pretty slick.

I purchased both my Jr2 and Jr3 used. They came with primer arms, etc. but no tubes and I doubt I will ever use them.

In reply to what the current price would be based on the 1963 price - like all things, inflation has taken over through the years but how much does a RCBS rock crusher cost today? It is interesting to compare. Back then, we were paying 50 cents for a box of 50 22 rimfire at the hardware store - $5.00/1,000. I have no idea what a box of 38 specials ran back then?

The one nice thing about these presses is that they will certainly last several lifetimes. I batch load so a single stage works just fine. The highest tech I have achieved is a new 4 place Lee classic turret which I still don't have mounted yet.

It's always fun seeing what others "discover" - what's nice about this one is that whenever the OP uses it, he'll think of his grandfather. You just can't put a price on those things!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 24, 2013, 06:58 PM   #30
mattL46

Bed bug billy. You couldn't have said it better. I batch load as well so speed is not an issue. The only way I prime ON press is if I don't have the right shell holder for my Lee hand primer which I have to use for the hornet until I buy one. I'll need a few more considering Ive a few new calibers. But I love living in his house. I constantly run things Ive found over to my dad to ask what they are. Ha! Yep this little press will have a special place on the bench. Thanks a lot bedbug for your kind interest!