The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 27, 2013, 10:01 PM   #1
Titan25

Trouble finding 30-06 load data

I have these bullets and would like to load either 30-06 or .308 ammunition. I have a bolt action '06, and an Armalite AR10. I am having some trouble finding load data. I would prefer to load them for the '06,I have a lot more brass for the '06. All the powder I have is for handguns, as that is what I typically load.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance,

Sierra .308 150gr Spitzer
Hornady .308 150gr RN Interlocks
Old February 28, 2013, 08:52 AM   #2
mehavey

Go HERE . It will have everything you want data-wise.

I am concerned, however, that you do not already have at least one of several reloading manuals (Speer, Sierra, Lyman, et al).
These would have shown you voluminous data on both 308 & 30-06, as well as other reloading info absolutely-required before
you pick up the first primer.

I recommend you do so ASAP.

Last edited by mehavey; February 28, 2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old February 28, 2013, 07:53 PM   #3
Titan25

Thanks, I feel kinda dumb actually. I have a Speer reloading manual #12, it has alll the data I'm looking for. And I see there's a #14 out which I'll pick up this weekend. I have been using the same manual for the last ten years, never thought about it I guess. I've been loading the same three sets of ammo too,
Thanks for the wake up call and advice to keep current. It has just been recently that I've had time to take shooting/reloading as a more serious hobby now that the kids are getting a little older.
Old February 28, 2013, 08:00 PM   #4
hooligan1

We use Hogdons handloading magazine, Nosler's #6, mostly for 30-06. I would think that any powder around the speed of IMR 4350 or there abouts should bring decent accuracy from your rifle. Try RL 19, IMR 4895, IMR 4831, and such.
Old February 28, 2013, 10:32 PM   #5
saitek

30-06 load

sierra #5 manual will have what you need .
Old February 28, 2013, 11:00 PM   #6
Titan25

Thoughts on IMR 3031? The local firearms store has some in stock(amazing!) Plus it's listed for the 150gr rn and 150gr spitz's I'd like to start with. It's getting hard to find components
Old March 1, 2013, 09:37 AM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Titan,

IMR 3031 is a little faster than is usually used in cases with as much capacity as you have (.30-30 is where it's most popular in .30 cal, I think) but 150 grain bullets are light enough that it will work pretty well with them. Just be sure you start your load workup at the bottom of the listed ranges (the starting loads) and not in the middle somewhere. 3031 is described by some as "peaky", meaning the charge difference between no pressure signs and pressure signs can be smaller than some other powders. So creep up on the loads while watching for pressure signs.

Try to look at more than one source of load data. Particularly for .308 Win, there is a lot of case volume variation between brands. Winchester brand brass has the most capacity in .308 Win, and military cases have the least, with some headstamps having more than others. Figure the heaviest cases (180 grains range) typically need a couple grains less powder than the lightest (155 grains range) to reach the same peak pressure. Many commercial brands are inbetween.

On Hodgdon's site you need to click on the "Print" button to see what brand of case and primer they used and what the length of the barrel was that they got their velocities with.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle