The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 25, 2013, 08:14 AM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

Rahm Emmanuel Threatens Banks Who Do Not Cut Off Gun Manufacturers

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...uns-86706.html

Quote:
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, moving to take a lead role in the gun control debate, is turning up the pressure on banks that do business with firearms manufacturers.

Emanuel is sending letters to two major financial institutions, TD Bank and Bank of America, which offer lines of credit to gun makers suggesting that they stop lending money to the manufacturers if they don’t come out for new gun restrictions.
For those of you who are wondering where the sudden pressure from credit card processors and banks on gun-related industries is coming from... Looks like the NRA may need to start its own bank in addition to its own TV network.
Old January 25, 2013, 08:40 AM   #2
thallub

Rahm Emanuel presides over the most dangerous and murder prone city in the US. Chicago police are hamstrung by political corruption, incompetence and lethargy. Now Rahm wants banks to stop loaning money to gun makers: Go figure.
Old January 25, 2013, 11:03 AM   #3
RockSmoot

What kind of pressure can a mayor of Chicago realistically bring to bear on national banks?
Old January 25, 2013, 11:05 AM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm not convinced that ol' Rahm has really thought this through. How can he really put pressure on them? Restrict their business activities in Chicago? Is he really going to interfere with their business and contracts? Deny them building permits?

Does he really want to get tangled up in litigation with a bank?
Old January 25, 2013, 11:41 AM   #5
sirdiealot

little full of himself aint he.. if he thinks he can dictate to big banks good luck to him i guess lol

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.
Old January 25, 2013, 11:45 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Banks that fold like BoA should be boycotted by proponents and defenders of the 2A.
Old January 25, 2013, 11:50 AM   #7
Ronbert

He'll probably just raise the cost of "protection" if they don't cooperate.

It's the Chicago Way.
Old January 25, 2013, 11:52 AM   #8
MLeake

I have had a thead locked for pointing out other idiosyncrasies Rahm has evinced in the past, so all I will say is the guy has shown a long pattern of strange and bullying behavior.

Yet Chicagoland keeps voting for the guy....
Old January 25, 2013, 11:58 AM   #9
Closing The Gap

Quote:
Banks that fold like BoA should be boycotted by proponents and defenders of the 2A.
The wife and I recently closed our 4 business and personal accounts with them for this very reason. The local "2A friendly" credit union was very pleased to have our business.
Old January 25, 2013, 12:19 PM   #10
sigcurious

So... if he's so anti-gun, why doesn't he just make the city stop doing business with gun manufacturers and take away the CPDs guns? Seems like it would be a faster way to get the end result that he's asking for if he really thinks banks will turn away the gun manufacturers. Which would effectively put them out of business and take away LEAs guns anyway...great plan Rahm!
Old January 25, 2013, 12:54 PM   #11
Auto426

So Rahm wants the people who manufacture the weapons and ammunition used by the law enforcement officers of Chicago to be forced out of business. That's a prime example of liberal logic right there .

You know, I thought that it would be taking things too far before, but it's getting to be time for gun and ammo companies to stand up to bully tactics like these by either drastically raising their LEO pricing or by simply ending shipments to government agencies. Lets see how willing they are to attack gun companies when their police officers don't have any ammunition or parts to keep their firearms running.
Old January 25, 2013, 12:55 PM   #12
Bartholomew Roberts

I guess if you view Rahm as just Mayor of Chicago, it probably isn't a big threat. If you are Bank of America and cutting a deal that covers up the robosigning by Countrywide, or borrowed a bunch of money from the government and are being subjected to constant governmental scrutiny regarding your soundness as a bank, the back-of-the-mind concern that he wasn't speaking as "Mayor of Chicago" but as "informal visit from powerful friend of the current Administration" would probably be bothering you.
Old January 25, 2013, 12:59 PM   #13
iraiam

Rahm Emmanuel belongs in a 6X9 cage. I'm not sure what he could do, but if he does anything like that it would be an abuse of power IMHO.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old January 25, 2013, 02:35 PM   #14
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
How about other anti-gun money institutions like Paypal?
Old January 25, 2013, 04:01 PM   #15
2damnold4this

From whom does the City of Chicago buy the guns and ammunition it uses to arm its police? Would an firearm or ammunition maker consider cutting off the Chicago PD as Ford cut off police departments that had sued?
Old January 25, 2013, 04:07 PM   #16
Skadoosh

The NRA should start up a bank/credit union venture for us...
Old January 25, 2013, 05:10 PM   #17
breakingcontact

This to me is incredibly interesting and troubling. If they can't force the laws they want...they can strong arm the industry. Pretty sure that's what Jesse Jackson or Jj Jr did to Toyota.
Old January 25, 2013, 05:25 PM   #18
Venom1956

Quote:
it's getting to be time for gun and ammo companies to stand up to bully tactics like these by either drastically raising their LEO pricing or by simply ending shipments to government agencies. Lets see how willing they are to attack gun companies when their police officers don't have any ammunition or parts to keep their firearms running.
I said a similar thing a few days ago. I 100% percent agree. These antis are really out there. Its scary.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old January 25, 2013, 05:56 PM   #19
BGutzman

There's a type of government where they do these things. You just dictate things, the term escapes me. Probably for the best.

I am totally astounded that the Bill of Rights seems to be a let me interpret it for you kind of document in politics now days. It seems that in general its suppose to only mean what your elected official in whatever area says it means. I have a bone to pick with that, anyone that cares about person freedoms should have a bone to pick with that. Elections have consequences and the antis need to remember that in the coming election.
Old January 25, 2013, 06:23 PM   #20
PoiDog

If I ran a large bank, such as those mentioned, the last people on earth I would lend money to is Chicago or Illinois. Neither of them can be trusted. Both are almost bankrupt, in the case of the state, they are bankrupt.

Nobody will lend them money, or sell them a product. IL is months behind on its bills. Chicago isn't in much better shape.

Ruger would be a good investment. They make products people actually desire, and a lot of them. Chicago, on the other hand, makes less and less with each passing year. Businesses move out regularly. People are leaving the state, more so than any other state.

The streets aren't safe in many neighborhoods, and the people aren't allowed to defend themselves. Meanwhile, the aldermen carry concealed weapons, the mayor has armed bodyguards, and the criminals run wild.

I'd rather lend money to Zimbabwe. At least the dictator running that place has a personality.
Old January 26, 2013, 06:20 PM   #21
mete

Very interesting ! The big British bank HSBC has long been the biggest but hardly the only bank that has made huge profits by laundering Mexican drug cartel money !! During the years it has been doing this and is still doing it ,no-one has been indicted , arrested , sentenced . Nice system
Wait a moment --the Cartels need that money so they can buy nice automatic weapons that Uncle Sam has been selling them . Round and round we go !
Old January 31, 2013, 09:29 PM   #22
oldgunsmith

Create a horrendous demand and then tell the banks they can't get in on their share of the action? Good luck with that. Our biggest ace in the hole may be the fact that anti-gunners don't know enough about them to make any sense at all. If they knew what they were talking about we'd probably be in a lot more trouble.