The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 25, 2010, 01:04 PM   #1
.308Freak

Olympic arms K8 Target Match .233?

Has anyone had experience with this rifle? I cant seem to find much info on it, but the price tag is making me look for more. Are they reliable? accuracy at least MOA or better? Ive seen them going for a tad over 800 on the net. Any help would be great.
Old October 25, 2010, 01:07 PM   #2
kx592

Oly has a rep for accuracy, however many have said they are touchy with what you run through them and little dumb things of the sorts
Old October 25, 2010, 01:28 PM   #3
thesheepdog

Saw one at Cabelas for $700. Looked like a piece of junk. I have heard about a 50% approval rating on Oly arms. I watched two of them shoot 100% at an appleseed one time. They were the only guns that did not have a hiccup. Accuracy was decent too.
Old October 25, 2010, 02:30 PM   #4
demigod

Olympic arms are the worst mainstream AR you can get. I have a collection of horror stories on Olympic. They do kick out an occasional functional gun. But AR fannatics now know too much about the production of quality guns to ever waste money on a junk gun like Oly.
Old October 25, 2010, 03:10 PM   #5
.308Freak

Thanks for the feedback i figured ill end up with a RRA. Keep em coming guys thanks.
Old January 10, 2013, 10:15 AM   #6
DAHunter77

Olympic Arms K8 is phenomenal

308 freak...please kindly disregard anything demigod has to say...not sure it there were other motives...but Olympic has been turning out extremely high quality guns for some time know. His BS horror stories my be true 20 years ago...but for the past 10...Olympic has turned it around.

My K8 is a tack driver....sub .5 MOA and cloverleafs with off the shelf ammo. Its my go to gun for any of the coyote ventures and has paid for itself a hundred times over with furs.

Thanks Olympic Arms.

To solidify my point...please take a look at the 2011 Gun Digest. Thanks Steve Gash for writing the article.

Old January 10, 2013, 02:40 PM   #7
globemaster3

FWIW, my oldest is running an Olympic K68 that had a couple options thrown on and we've had no issues with fit, finish, or operation. We ran the rifle in Texas last season and she put 3 deer in the freezer in 3 days.

I have visited Olympic Arms myself several times and have been given a full tour of their facilities. They are a nice group of folks who are passionate about their work. They mill their own uppers and lowers from forgings using digital milling machines and make their own barrels. All metal finishing is done in house, except the wet transfer stuff you see on certain models.

They don't chrome the inside of their barrels, which from a mil spec perspective is a no no, but their concern is more with accuracy. Side by side, non chromed barrels tend to be more accurate, as trying to hold the chrome to a thickness tolerance is difficult.

I like their product enough that I added 2 K16s with matching uppers in 6.8 and 5.56 before I deployed last May, and just placed another order with them.

Are they Noveske? Nope. But your also not paying Noveske prices.

Olympic does have a bad rep from their products produced over a decade ago, but I've not found anyone with recent bad experiences.

Add to all of that a lifetime warranty...