The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 29, 2007, 08:34 PM   #26
T. O'Heir

"...MY girlfriend's sister..." You're not family and have no legal right to do or say anything. If you show up with a firearm, you're likely the one who will be arrested.
"...threatening to kill her.....on voicemail..." Tell her to take that to the police.
Old June 29, 2007, 08:50 PM   #27
The Biker

The 'White Knight' usually takes it up the ol' wazoo. Let the cops deal with it.

Biker
Old June 29, 2007, 10:07 PM   #28
springmom

Ummmm....

I'm glad it ended up a non issue in the short term, but as the guy is still on the loose, it is still a problem.

I don't know where you live, but in any decent size city there should be women's shelters. She needs to be in one. Your girlfriend should call the domestic violence hotline and explain the situation. The sister ought to be able to be placed, with her child, in a shelter, and such shelters are usually very hard for violent spouses to find (for a reason).

I'm curious: why can't your girlfriend's sister get a shotgun and protect herself????? Granted, she can't be awake 24/7, but a combination of alarms on the house, a dog at the door, and a Mossberg 500 at her bedside ought to change the odds a bit, at least. I'm not picking on you for wanting to help; but this is her problem, and I'm unclear from your post as to what she is doing to solve it, and what she is doing to protect herself. Unless there is some legal reason that she's prohibited from owning a firearm, it seems to me that the obvious answer is get her a shotgun and teach her to use it.

You can do that legally. Give a man a fish....

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old June 30, 2007, 12:37 PM   #29
jfrey123

+1 for Springmom!

My roommate's girlfriend's parent's store (say that five times fast) down in Reno has been robbed once in the past, with the bank across the street being robbed multiple times that they can remember in their decade of business. The girlfriend here is on her way to inheriting said shop, and I'm trying to convince her that she needs a little 20ga pump under the counter. She's only about 5" and 80lbs, so the ol' 3" magnum 12ga with a field barrel is out...

Another convert on her way. She's gone from disliking firearms to interested in learning how they work.
Old July 1, 2007, 12:38 AM   #30
workinwifdakids

Call the po-po! NOT.

First, if this choir-boy resides in the US illegally, then he's guilty of violating federal immigration laws, human smuggling, and federal/state tax evasion, and probably federal document fraud. And that's just BEFORE he started beating his wife in front of his daughter, so I doubt he gives a flying turkey [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] about a restraining order - especially when he's drunk.

BUT the restraining order will serve some use - he'll use it to wipe YOUR blood off of HIS knife before he flees to Mexico, where they have a non-extradition policy in cases of LWOP or the death penalty. They won't even extradite for 1st-degree murder on a cop, and Bush is so busy giving sexual favors to the Mexican government, your life isn't going to mean a thing. Your death will be on B27 of your local paper, and they won't mention until the 9th paragraph that he has 'immigration issues.'

Next, most local law enforcement have a strict (if unwritten) policy of never being involved in illegal immigration. So that's out of the question. Even if they could pick this guy up, ICE refuses to accept anyone from an immigration hold. So, you're out of luck there.

Did you say deportation? LMAO. It'll never happen.

Your best advice is to give this girl enough money to buy her own 20 gauge and a box of shells, take her to the range, and then - yes - dump the girlfriend. Tell her:

"Save the drama - fo yo mama."
Old July 1, 2007, 08:31 AM   #31
revjen45

Reply to Newarcher's comment about not knowing why they like knives so much. We had a neighbor whose situation was similar to the first one in this thread: lady married/shacked up with Mojado (Spanish term for person from Mexico here illegally. Literal translation: wet). Domestic violence escalating from loud verbal to blows. One night he pulled into the shared driveway (duplex) and put his hand thru the kitchen window to gain entry. He was incensed over access to his kids. A few moments later she was frantically banging on our door and in a panicked voice asking us to let her in. She was covered with blood. I expected Oscar to come thru the door waving a bloody knife and attack us. (No gun in a ready state). He had stabbed her in the forehead and butt, and their apartment and kids were covered with blood. Seeing this my wife thought he had butchered the kids, but the blood was his- he had severed the artery in the forearm flexors when he put his hand thru the window. The police found his lunchbox full of bladed weapons, mostly gaudy letter openers. People aren't allowed to own guns in Mexico or any number of other places, so a knife is the next best thing. The Filipinos have made a formal martial art out of the knife called Escrima. The moral of this long story is never doubt how serious a threat a knife is, and don't get involved in the situation. In particular don't take it upon yourself and your Mossberg to be the White Knight.
Old July 4, 2007, 04:20 AM   #32
Socrates

Know your local law, and, your local police. INS is worthless.

I don't give advice on divorce cases, other then STAY out of them!!!

Police hate them because the girl calls, police come, police beat on boyfriend a little, because he's loaded and abusive, girl shoots police with shotgun, changing mind about sending wonderful boyfriend to jail...

If the police fear to go there, what are you doing in the middle???

Woman got herself in this mess, let her figure out how to protect her own children, and, herself. It should be a crime to have a child with an illegal alien as well...

Dr. S
Old July 4, 2007, 10:24 AM   #33
Tanzer

Can they stay with you for a while? You're better off defending your own home than someone else's. I don't know if Oklahoma has a castle doctrine, but you'd still be on firmer ground even if you just mace him or whatever. In the mean time, do what others have suggested and get the SOB out of the country. If she doesn't own the house, MOVE. She can always come back, but any LEO will tell you, these are among their least favorite issues.
It may sound lke I'm overlooking obvious logic. Others have suggested more reasonable alternatives, like dumping her, but when relationships come in to play, we get stubborn and macho and all that crap. My wife had a (mostly verbally) abusive ex-husband, but he was a wimp when it came to brass tacks. After he went to her house and threw a fit (threw a coffee cup, made a scene), she moved in with me. Smart on my part? anyone's call, but "tough guy" turned into "sob story guy" in a hurry. My step-daughter had a similar issue in college - renting a house with "Mr. Wonderful". Same deal. Ex-hubby was to much of a wuss to help. In both instances I guess I put myself in possible harm's way, but we do such things for loved ones. All this is assuming that by "girl friend" you mean the only one you have and that you're serious, which is why you posted here. Otherwise, move on.

Last edited by Tanzer; July 4, 2007 at 10:41 AM. Reason: addition
Old July 5, 2007, 06:06 PM   #34
Mannlicher

Quote:
Okay, this is going to sound a little complicated and dramatic, so bear with me.
Since you did ask for advice, mine would be:

First: call the cops, and stay out of it. Nothing you can do will help the situation, and most likely will land you in jail.

Second: find a new girlfriend with less baggage.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old July 5, 2007, 07:08 PM   #35
RevolverLover

Quote:
The guy ended up calling my GF's sister and threatening to kill her.....on voicemail. So I'm thinking a restraining order will be no problem at all, and they had every intention of getting one in the first place.
First have your girlfriends family go to the police/sherriffs dept. with the voicemail, then get a restraining order barring him from seeing his daughter. Make sure that you say he is an illegal and is a flight risk to mexico.

Then I highly recommend think if all this is worth a relationship with your girlfriend.

"One test = 1,000 expert opinions." -Art Eatman
Old July 6, 2007, 12:59 AM   #36
grey sky

advice .02

Have to go with find a new GF this is chaos related, chaos people move from one crissis to the next no help for them and it will suck your soul out.
To be blunt RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN
Old July 6, 2007, 02:31 AM   #37
epic4444

well now that hes been legally married to a U.S. citizen he is to a legal u.s. citizen..i live in california i know how all this **** works....and if i was you i would certian show up with that mossberg if you care about there family like it was your own then protect them like they was your own...explain the rest later
Old July 28, 2007, 06:05 AM   #38
joab

Quote:
well now that hes been legally married to a U.S. citizen he is to a legal u.s. citizen..i live in california i know how all this **** works
Well, not so much
The myth of instant citizenship through marriage is a misunderstanding perpetuated by Hollywood's poor script writers
My wife has been married to a US citizen for about 10 years and is still not a citizen, she won't be until she takes the test just like everybody else

Being married does not even give you legal status unless you have done the paperwork

Many ,many other misunderstandings here

The mother of the child has the right to place that child in the care of anyone she sees fit
The police cannot remove that child from that care unless it is deemed that the temp caregivers are unfit

The boyfriend in law is perfectly legal in going over to the home as long as he does not initiate a conflict

Restraining orders escalate simple trespass to felony stalking if violated (in Florida)

While that RO may not help in defending your life before hand it will definitely help to defend your life afterwards
Old July 28, 2007, 11:27 AM   #39
The Immortal

CYA

CYA-Creating and maintaining a true and accurate paper trail will go a long way if things get ugly.