The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 1, 2013, 03:42 PM   #26
EdInk

I like shooting at playing cards. You can make up all kinds of fun games with them.
Old July 1, 2013, 04:05 PM   #27
MattShlock

Alabama -- that does sound like fun.
Happy Independence Day!
Old July 1, 2013, 07:00 PM   #28
Hunter Customs

Quote:
I remember when breaking and blowing up stuff was getting dull. If I had not been introduced to competitive shooting with those boring old paper targets, I would probably be playing golf by now.
I played a little golf, it was somewhat different then normal golf.
We had a course set up, you could use any caliber handgun you wanted, I like my 45's best.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.hntercustoms.com
Old July 1, 2013, 09:45 PM   #29
n5lyc

We shoot range trash, we pick up all the steel cased Brendan primed cases we can find and shoot them with .22's from ranges of 25yds to as far as you can see them..

This was done with a mossberg m44 US at 50 yds.
Peep sights.

Old July 1, 2013, 10:06 PM   #30
22-rimfire

Shooting those 0.25" groups with a 22LR at 50 yds really get boring after a while.

Honestly, other than with 22's, I find shooting paper kind of unsatisfying after you are confident that the rifle is sighted in properly. With handguns, sometimes it's very frustrating to learn just how bad you are on paper.
Old July 2, 2013, 09:06 AM   #31
SgtLumpy

Quote:
I just change the face printed on the targets and it gets interesting all over again. In all honesty I shoot for extreme accuracy so dumping mags or lots of rounds at one time does nothing for me. Now, hitting a gallon jug at 500 yards gets me excited.
That pretty much sums up my answer. I like knowing that I can hit a very small area target. It's fun to watch water filled jugs explode and all that. But picking up the trash afterwards isn't the most fun I've ever had. Shooting small objects like shotgun shells or necco wafers is fun if I hit them. But if I miss, I don't often know where the round went. With bulls, I know if I'm high, low, left, right etc.

I like extreme accuracy.

Oddly enough, even though I'm a really good shot, I've never been able to make a "smiley face" on a sillouette the way Mel Gibson did in Lethal Weapon. I haven't really practiced and maybe only tried a couple of times. But I figured if I can put several rounds into a quarter sized spot, I ought to be able to "draw" a smile and two eyes.

Sgt Lumpy
Old July 3, 2013, 02:42 AM   #32
myusername

Sounds like some of you are ready for "The Game" - you know, where you get a half hour head start and they turn the hunters loose.

I've been shooting all my life and I still don't get bored shooting targets. Maybe because after all this time I'm still a lousy shot. OK, I can drawn and hit the 10 spot at 10 feet, no problem, but at 150 feet... maybe by the time I'm 100.

I like water bottles and melons though. Big splash.

And we just bought a whole bunch of tannerite!
Old July 3, 2013, 09:14 AM   #33
jimbob86

Quote:
Just blasting a lot of ammo at stuff that blows up might be fun also but it isn't as challenging and proves nothing about your shooting skills.
You can make it as challenging as you want to.

Put gallon milk jug full of water at 400 yards and attempt to shoot it from field positions, under time pressure. That will tell you quite a bit about your practical shooting skills........

Try "the rifle bounce": 15 milk jug targets, 5 each at 100, 200, 300,. The 100 yard firing pt. has a 4 foot tall screen in front of it. The 200 a 2 foot screen ...... screens may not be touched. (For extra difficulty, separate the firing points by 100 or more yards!) Best time wins.
Old July 3, 2013, 09:14 AM   #34
SgtLumpy

Quote:
I'm still a lousy shot. OK, I can drawn and hit the 10 spot at 10 feet, no problem, but at 150 feet... maybe by the time I'm 100.
Marksmanship isn't improved in years. It's improved in round count..

Sgt Lumpy
Old July 3, 2013, 09:23 AM   #35
wayneinFL

I get bored shooting at paper targets as well. Reactive targets are more fun. Competition is even more fun. Back when we had an IPSC club close by, the only time I shot paper was to sight in a new gun or new load.
Old July 3, 2013, 09:38 AM   #36
Exikutioner

Anyone here find shooting at paper targets boring?

I take clays and hang them on a cable at my range. It is fun to see the targets break apart, but even better shooting the center out of them!
Old July 3, 2013, 09:57 AM   #37
Spats McGee
Staff

I shoot paper largely because I don't have opportunity to shoot much of anything else, except the occasional unlucky waterfowl that passes my way. I've had a few opportunities to shoot steel, and I like the way it rings! Growing up, we'd take a few cans out and chase them across the pasture with .22s. If I had a pasture these days, I'd probably get one of these, just 'cause they look like fun!
Old July 3, 2013, 10:56 AM   #38
jimbob86

Quote:
..... provided the shooter uses that ammo excerising skills other than turning money into noise.
Old July 3, 2013, 11:00 AM   #39
Kimio

I enjoy both personally, for long distance shooting I like steel, but for the sake of practicing accuracy and actualy marksmanship, I'll shoot at paper. I'm not the greatest shot, not by any stretch of the mean, but I think it's a point of pride to be able to consistantly hit a paper target with open sights at 100+yrds off hand. To make it challenging, I like to shoot in odd positions and from different stances at varying distances.

I typically do this while out in the desert where I setup my little "rat house" style shooting run, moving from target to target seeing how well I can place my shots when the adrenalines pumping and the hands are still shaking.

For range time, off the bench, I really enjoy shooting steel though.
Old July 3, 2013, 08:53 PM   #40
SgtLumpy

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
..... provided the shooter uses that ammo excerising skills other than turning money into noise.
Absolutely that!

I listened to a pair of guys empty 30 round clips out of their M1A last week at the range. They were shooting fast enough that the ROs checked to be sure they weren't selective fire. Went on for over an hour. 30 rounds every few seconds for 15 minutes, then range break, then repeat about 3-4 times. I estimated they easily went through 2000 rounds.

3000 x current price of .308 = a very expensive noise maker.

They were shooting at sillhouettes at the 15 yard line.

Sgt Lumpy
Old July 6, 2013, 01:57 AM   #41
45Gunner

Shooting paper targets are, well, just paper targets. The good news is that they don't shoot back at me. I always try to challenge myself by improving my speed and accuracy. Never seems to get boring that way.

A buddy of mine and myself challenge each other with just a plain sheet of paper. The idea is to cut the paper in half horizontally. Once we do that, we cut it in half vertically. So now you get the idea. The one that ends up with the smallest piece of paper with an equal amount of rounds fired is the winner for the day. Lots of fun and it really challenges your accuracy instead of punching holes thru the center of the target all the time. BTW, just cutting the paper off across the top is not the deal. It must be centerline at each new direction.
NRA Life Member
Old July 6, 2013, 02:44 AM   #42
SgtLumpy

Quote:
A buddy of mine and myself challenge each other with just a plain sheet of paper. The idea is to cut the paper in half horizontally. Once we do that, we cut it in half vertically.
I like that idea..

I sometimes use a large paper or cardboard square, like 18" or more, with no markings, not pasters, no bull's etc. I like to use something like that at a pretty good distance, 25 yds or more. Forces me to aim at the PERCEIVED center of a big square instead of aiming at a little dot. See how many rapid fire shots I can get into a small group. Rapid fire so that I don't tend to take time to aim at the previous bullet holes.

On the first day of the week at my range (Wednesday) there's a lot of target holders with brand new, non shot up cardboard. When they have those I shoot at the imagined center of that 3' x 3' square.

Sgt Lumpy