The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 23, 2010, 09:55 PM   #26
Clark

Years ago I ground a tool to open the bolt face of 91/30 Mosin Nagant to 45/70.
I was surprised at the constraints on that tip.
It is like a cork screw to get in there.
Old February 26, 2010, 08:33 PM   #27
saands

Insert was actually a 55 deg diamond shaped tool ... and yes, the insert has a smallish radius (0.008" IIRC) ... but after I dialed in the threading routine for the barrel threads, I made a shoulder lapping and bolt face lapping adapter that screws into the threads and guides/holds a lap perpendicular to the face or shoulder. This lap sneaks all the way into the corner of the bolt face so the radius that I have on the bolt should be smaller than that of the tool that cut it.

The bolt in the pic was the second one I did ... it wasn't any easier or more difficult to do than the bent handled one, it just didn't occur to me to take a pic until I had already unchucked the first one.

I actually have soft jaws (even have an EXTRA set of 4" ones), but for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to get the relief cut into the back side of them to accommodate the bolt handle (recall that I don't YET have a mill) ... so I didn't try that route. Oh ... it just occurred to me that not all soft jaws are pie-jaws ... the full pie style is the only kind I've ever used and are what I had ... now that I'm opening my mind a bit, I think I see what you are saying

Saands
Old February 27, 2010, 12:58 PM   #28
Clark

I made a lathe fixture to hold welded bolts, so i could clean up the intermediate weld from extending the bolt handle length.

You can't see it, but the bolt body is in a V notch in the Aluminum plate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MausersBoltHandleFistureDSCF0033.jpg (128.0 KB, 53 views)
Old February 27, 2010, 09:44 PM   #29
saands

Here is my bent bolt on the 330

I bent this one by cutting about 40% of the way through the handle about .125" from the root. I heated with oxy-acetylene and pushed it over. I am mounting my scope on a Farrell one piece base and this bend clears it easily, even with a flip-up lens cover in place. It is coming along

Saands